Godzilla KotM

Prelude to the third movie :joy:

4 Likes

Ok, I’m about to dive into as many spoilers as much as the movie itself so…youve been warned. PART 1!!!

Overall, this was a solid Godzilla film. Any G-fan will find this movie the ultimate fanboy dream come true, while critics and casual moviegoers will be sorely dissapointed (evidently…)

The movie feels very standard: mediocrely built human characters, a nice perspective of cinematography and action, true stakes of global impact, a bad guy that raises those stakes, Godzilla doing Godzilla stuff, Rodan and Mothra just existing but somehow stealing the show. In some ways, it feels like a combination of Godzilla, Gamera, and the Mothra trilogy all in one.
I can’t do human characters and plots and arcs and whatever, but let me talk about what we all came to see: the kaiju/Titans

Godzilla: This is among the best I’ve seen of the G-man himself. Even though he wasn’t as heavy and massive-feeling as the 2014 film, he still had a lasting impact on the audience with his new design resembling the 1954 original incarnation. His roar of course never ceases to terrify and amaze audiences, and I think it was a clever idea to bring in Burning Godzilla for this film. He definitely felt more intelligent yet at the same time, more animalistic rather than a superhero. I appreciated his fights with Ghidorah and I don’t know why, but his atomic breath felt different, more like how we’re used to seeing his signature weapon. One thing I thought was a little off was the use of his old, iconic roar in several shots in his fights with Ghidorah. It didn’t match with his heavyweight, sumo personality. Other than that, I really enjoy this Godzilla and hope to see more of his capabilities in future films.

Ghidorah: Possibly the best character of Ghidorah I have ever seen in a Godzilla film. The reason why I focus on character is because of a common stereotype of Ghidorah being that they are always mind-controlled. Now, we don’t know if this Ghidorah is mind controlled, but they seem to act independently, almost sadistically: frying humans that normally monster would ignore, biting and ramming one another to regain control, and following specific people almost like they’re from a Gamera movie. I love the callbacks to their roots, with their hurricane-inducing wings (but with a more biological twist to it) and their gravity beams. Their roars and theme music I think define Ghidorah the most, with the chilling high pitched screams (no bibidibidi but that’s a mild concern) and the chanting in the back to symbolize the attempts to cease their existence. The way they died was indeed brutal, and thanks to the post-credits scene, we know they are coming back, because why kill him off in his first return? Also, the movie references them as Monster Zero, which I love.

Mothra: I can’t thank the designers, producers, and director enough for the best Mothra design I have ever seen. Everything from the wings to the fact that she can physically fight for herself. Every aspect of her, even in her larval stage, just shouts goddess, and I think she demonstrates that very well, a young, childish girl who is scared but fights despite all odds. HEr behavior in this movie feels more human than any other monster, while Godzilla feels like a grumpy old man, Ghidorah a sadistic overlord, and Rodan a hot-headed coward. She seems to have so much depth to her despite her limited screentime. In conclusion, this is the best Mothra in terms of character and design.

Rodan: Oh boy, do I have a few words to say about this guy…in my opinion, Rodan seemed really…underwhelming. He was awesome in design and screentime, but his actions seemed very…cowardish. I was expecting a rogue who didn’t give a crap about anyone, even his alphas, and that he would have second thoughts while battling against Godzilla, but how much can you put in a film?… His scenes when he destroyed cities were definitely terrifying, a visual re-enactment of Pompeii, but after that…he just seemed to faze out of the power structure. Also, he looked really derpy when facing forward. What I can say that was GOOD about Rodan was his design, and his shared screentime, fighting Mothra and especially when he fought Ghidorah.

Other Titans: They seem to fit in with that whole “anomaly prehistoric elemental beast” thing that the Monsterverse constantly abides too. Out of the four that are actually seen in the film, I can tell you who they are: Behemoth, Scylla, Methuselah, and another Muto who I’ll just call Shimuto (Muto #4). Let’s start with Behemoth. I think that it’s a fun and interesting design for a kaiju and they should demonstrate what he can actually do. I at first disliked it greatly, but now I look at it in the film and I thought, huh, this is actually pretty decent. Next is Scylla, one of the controversial kaiju pre-release alongside MEthuselah. Lots of people thought she was Kumonga, Ebirah, some old-school kaiju that would pack even more nostalgia. But we got something that resembled Kumonga, and honestly, I like her design a lot. Next up is Methuselah, the Anguirus-mountain guy. I didn’t know what they were gonna do with him and Scylla, and he was pretty absent in the film. Yet again, he was in Europe while the other 3 and the big four were in ‘Murica. This is a design I want to see more of out of the four, he just seems super ancient and I want to see him in a little more action. He seems to be very small compared to the others. Then again, literally everyone was smaller than Godzilla and Ghidorah so…yeah. Finally, we have Shimuto. She…I don’t know where she was in all this, why the producers decided to have her in here. Lots of people thought she was Muto Prime, but look at her and look at Prime. VERY DIFFERENT. She seems smaller than the og femuto, and I’m glad they didn’t completely abandon her.

4 Likes

Not sure if you have checked out 1 version done by the Japanese themselves, quite recent as well, movie title is Shin Godzilla. Shin means super I think. Its pretty good overall imo, and during the last battle scene, it used a new power which caught me by surprised :wink:

3 Likes

Take all my likes :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:
Great analysis!
For the most part, I agree.
Although I was pleased to hear G’s old school roar. When he fell into the crevice in Antarctica… it reminded me of the volcano at the end of ‘84.
As for Rodan, I kinda liked that he was subservient to the reigning Alpha. He realized he wasn’t as powerful as either, so he said, “I’m lookin out for #1.”
Just got done watching it again, and it’s my favorite of the Monsterverse. I love that it’s a more Toho-style movie. I’m also far more forgiving of its shortcomings than most.

3 Likes

I have to add that Ghidorah’s left head is, by far, my favorite character in the movie :joy:

3 Likes

Agreed, it’s just so relatable…like, “Hey, what’s this prop for the film here? Um, do we need this?” Middle Head: “Shut up and do your lines!”

3 Likes

Yes, Shin Godzilla, or “New Godzilla”. Its supposed to be its own universe…and frankly I found it enjoyable. Possibly the most “realistic” towards Godzilla’s roots, with constant evolution and power pulled out of his sleeves like a waterfall.

4 Likes

Shin was good as well, but I didnt like the dumb looking early stages of godzilla morphing on the streets and dumping oceans of blood everywhere.

I did like, actually loved, the new city destroying breath weapon that they gave him though. That flammable smoke or whatever it was, that was devastating and seriously cool. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Shin Godzilla and it’s new city destroying breath weapons and spine lasers, :sunglasses:.

5 Likes

I actually really liked those early stages! They freaked me out. :smile:

4 Likes

How about pompous, arrogant, overly critical critics, Raven? The Anton Ego-esque critics. I’ve yet to go see that movie this month.

1 Like

Their opinion doesn’t matter :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

yea awesome power there, wonders how long would King Ghidorah last in a fight with this Godzilla :arrow_up: lol

4 Likes

Lol it was creepy pasta for sure, those big eyes in the middle version tho, haha was goofy looking. :grin:

2 Likes

We went and saw it the other night. Being a kid in the 70’s and growing up with Godzilla movies, I thoroughly enjoyed the way the titans were done for this. As far as story and human characters go, they’re secondary. Godzilla, the other titans and their battles are why I go to a Godzilla movie. I’m definitely looking forward to more if they are done as well as this movie. It was fun.

4 Likes

Me too! I’m really hoping the movie makes more money and that it doesn’t affect the monsterverse :sob:. Hopefully the next movie will do better at the box office. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

It’s settled. I’m watching it.

2 Likes

I’ll be so sad if the Monsterverse ends with GvK :sob:
KotM has its flaws, but it’s still a solid movie that opened up the universe well. There’s so many routes they can go, now, and it’d be a shame not to see any.
Destoroyah, Mechaghidorah, an All Monsters Attack-type, Destroy All Monsters. Maybe one day we’ll see a Monsterverse Son of Godzilla :joy:
And then there’s all the original stuff they can do.
We’re getting more from Toho, and that’s great… but I love the Monsterverse so much :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

I didn’t want to leave Godzilla in the theater. I wanted to take him home. Especially after that amazing smile towards the end!

Those monster close ups had me laughing. I loved it.

Did everyone stay for the after credits?

5 Likes

Ahh dang. I actually thought about it, but then i told myself, - nah, its not a Marvel movie, go home.

What did I miss? :heart_eyes:

3 Likes