Grymmsmas 2021 Hybrid Holidays Conteeeesst-o!

Alright, listen up, you dino f-REAKS!!! Is Crimmas, Grymmsmas, or whatever ye celebrate or don’t celebrate on this last month of this pretty meh year. To compensate, I ONCE AGAIN open the floodgates for a hybrid design competition!!!

Now, this is not APEx, so congratulations, way less pressure, clap clap!! But, then, wuzzis for?? Weeeelllll, this contest’s theme is: a creature designed to survive in colder temperatures and in biomes relating to such, such as tundras, taigas, and alpine mountains.

HERE ARE THE RULES.

-No using previously existing hybrids, such as from any Jurassic Park media, and already existing creations from other people. This must be completely new, specifically built for this contest.
-There are limits to what you can or cannot do when it comes to creature abilities. Think rationally and think about what a creature can do or handle. For example, fire breathing, mind reading, etc, are not allowed. Look to the animal kingdom for inspiration.
-The creatures you choose to mix must make sense for the overall design of the animal. Don’t just shove things because you want to or because it looks cool. Think. Plan. Rationalize. Also don’t be generic. Please. Lastly, use at least 7 creatures, extinct and extant.
-Human DNA is illegal.

Necessary Criteria

• Binomial nomenclature/ Genus + species. Name must mean something, and it must make sense. (For example, Spinosaurus aegyptiacus meaning “Egyptian spined lizard”.)
  • Size
    • Height (in metres)
    • Length (in metres)
    • Weight (in kilograms)
    • //Optional// Wingspan (in metres)
  • Diet (specific prey items are optional)
  • Preferred Environment/Habitat (also include diurnal or nocturnal tendencies, and if you want a very specific existing habitat, be my guest)
  • Special Abilities
  • Creature Behavior, such as socializing, hunting, migrating, etc.
  • Genetics List: Alphabetical order, one list for extinct species, one for extant, the latter requiring common names as well. All species names must be started in binomial nomenclature.

-Have a visual ready for your abomina-I-I mean, hybrid.

Template:

• Name:
  • Size:
  • Diet:
  • Habitat:
  • Abilities:
  • Behavior:
  • Genetics
  • Image:

Ok, for the genetics part, I need to emphasize a template for this too:

For example, let’s use my APEx and some of her genetics as an example!

Extinct DNA:

• Abelisaurus comahuensis (Rounded and cornfield skull, long sturdy legs)
  • Acrocanthosaurus atokensis (raised neural spines, serrated teeth)
  • Dinofelis barlowi (feline skeletal structure, enlarged canines)
  • Megalenhydris barbaricina (weasel-like shape, semi-aquatic lifestyle)
  • Tyrannosaurus rex (forward facing eyes, parental care)

Extant DNA:

• Carcharodon carcharias/Great white shark (endothermic within water)
  • Chlamydoselachus anguineus/Frilled shark (rounded skull, tri-tipped teeth)
  • Xenopeltis unicolor/Sunbeam snake (iridescent scales)

You get it? Cool.

Ok, so when does this start? Well, from 12/8 8 a.m. PST to 12/15 8 a.m. PST, you will be given an entire WEEK, that’s right, a WEEK, to do this. No exceptions to ANY of this, so too bad if you miss it. I ain’t budgin for anyone.

What do you win from this?? I dunno, up to u lol. Perhaps a free special hybrid request for me to work on? Again, up to u. If all you want is bragging rights, be my absolute guest.

8 Likes

And you are welcome to actually get started now! I don’t mind at all, as long as you get a product in within those deadlines!!

And feel free to ask me any questions!

Sadly, I will have to deny this one. One, this competition is not related to JWA in any shape or form. So the move sets are not required. Second, the rules state that:
-There are limits to what you can or cannot do when it comes to creature abilities. Think rationally and think about what a creature can do or handle. For example, fire breathing, mind reading, etc, are not allowed. Look to the animal kingdom for inspiration.
-The creatures you choose to mix must make sense for the overall design of the animal. Don’t just shove things because you want to or because it looks cool. Think. Plan. Rationalize. Also don’t be generic. Please. Lastly, use at least 7 creatures, extinct and extant.

Because of this, I ask you to try again.

“No using previously existing hybrids, such as from any Jurassic Park media, and already existing creations from other people. This must be completely new, specifically built for this contest.”

This has nothing to do with the game.

Yeah Im gonna say it out loud right here and now: This has 0 affiliation with any Jurassic media, meaning no JW hybrids from any game, movie, or show, is part of this. Keep it out, and stretch your imaginations far off into the sunrise! This is your chance to show what you can do!!

Also please make sure to read and follow the entire guideline. I won’t accept any that doesn’t follow it, so make sure to do so!

I said this has nothing to do with any JW media. Why don’t you scroll up, read the guidelines, and try again? This is a winter themed hybrid contest not associated with JWA, and needs those set criteria filled or else I will not consider it.

I should also clarify that when I mean “abilities”, I mean real world animal abilities, not JWA moves.

And if you need any clarification, do not hesistate to ask. I will provide any assistance I need, and any critiques that are requested for.

As far as I know Spinobertosaurus is a completely new hybrid, and the new CC season explained that you can genetically enhance a certain species (specifically hybrids) for different terrains for them to live in, and if you haven’t watch CC season 4, I suggest you do that and see for yourself where I’m coming from

2 Likes

I did watch CC S4, and hence Spinoceratops/Sinospinos makes no sense from my standpoint (theyre so CUTE tho!!!). Yes, you can enchance them, but what are you gonna enhance them with?? For example, let’s go back to Sinospinus, from the way theyre designed, I imagine that sail could actually be a fat reserve for the animal to retain optimal energy, and have extensive blubbery bodies to maintain entropy. One could hypothesize that they have seal or camel dna to better ensure their survival. Both Sinoceratops and Spinosaurus in the show and irl lived in warm climates, so having a hybrid mixed from those two alone all of a sudden just existing in snow with no problems makes 0 sense. Be more creative is what I’m saying. What animal can help it adapt to snow? What traits do arctic or antarctic animals have to maintain their survival?

Ah, I see where you’re coming from, I’d say that the Spinobertosaurus could be enhance with polar bear dna (fuzzy bodies and fattiness would help them keep warm) and they could be like wolves and hunt in packs

So make something with that! You’re on the right track here!! Also, when you submit the final thing, I’d like it to be fully done altogether. I’d really appreciate it, as it helps me keep track of the submissions.

Quick question. When does this competition end? If I’m reading correctly, it says it starts on 10/8 and ends 10/15, but that was two months ago.

1 Like

I meant 12/8-12/15, good eye.

1 Like

Ahh, gotcha. I should be able to get mine done somewhere from Friday to Sunday (12/10-12/12)

1 Like

Ok, so because of potential confusion, I will provide a mock example of a creature for this competition. This is by no means my own entry, I’m doing this to demonstrate what it should look like.

Name: Suchochelys boreaquas/Crocodile turtle of the northern waters
Size:

• 11 meters in length
  • 5443 kg

Diet:

• Pinnipeds
  • Seabirds
  • Teleost fish
  • Squid
  • Bears
  • Cetaceans

Habitat: coastal and arctic seas on the Northern Hemisphere, preferring water temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Abilities:

• A hard ossified cover on its head that it uses to breach ice layers
  • Highly-oxygenated blood to help it remain underwater for over 30 minutes
  • Upward facing eyes to spot prey on the surface or above it
  • Jaws that can extend over 90 degrees wide

Behavior:
Suchochelys are usually solitary predators, and can be territorial of others of their own kind. They aren’t aggressive or hostile towards humans, but will react if provoked. When hunting, they will dive down to 300 meters and will actively hunt fish, squid, and other marine mammals. However, they have developed a unique tactic of ice-breaching to hunt surface prey. They swim at rapid speeds towards the surface, breaching seal holes or ice sheets to throw themselves on land. If desperate, they will use their turtle-like forelimbs to crawl small distances to catch prey.

Genetics:

• Acrophyseter deinodon (teeth and skull shape)
  • Allosaurus fragilis (Jaw extension)
  • Leptonychotes weddellii/ Weddell’s Seal (unique oxygen regulation system, blubber)
  • Monodon monoceros/ Narwhal (extended horn-like tooth)
  • Mosasaurus hoffmani (primary skeletal structure)
  • Physeter macrocephalus/ Sperm whale (large heads, massive jaws, diving depth)
  • Rafetus swinhoei/ Yangtze giant soft-shell turtle (shape of forelimbs)

5 Likes

Ok, so here’s my advice that maybe works with this competition? Basically, advice from a winner of one of these competitions: go wild, make your hybrid interesting, maybe weird, but still relatively possible. Look at weird animals for inspiration, because that’s what I did, and I almost won once, and won on my second attempt. Basically, look at weird stuff, let it inspire you, and make the best hybrid you can make!

1 Like

how dare you reveal my weakness lmaoooo

Hi grymm how are you

1 Like

Hey, whats up?