Ludia Forums

🦖 Guide: How to improve your lineups/rosters!

Hey all, this guide is geared towards players who need help with reaching the next step in their lineups. While this won’t be geared towards case-by-case discussions, I wouldn’t mind this thread facilitating advice needed :grin:

Updated: Dec 14, 2020

Table of Contents:

(ctrl + F can allow you to jump to a certain section for those on a PC)

• A. Introduction

• B. Ferocity, and how to understand it

• Ferocity is how the game calculates what dinos are more powerful than others. This is important for keeping a balanced lineup.
  • C. The Basics

• This has a table that shows how the rarities compare, so you can maintain a balanced roster across multiple rarities and/or hybrid rarities.
  • D. Expanding your roster of Dinos: The Basics.

• E. How to expand your roster.

• Step 1: List out what Dinos you have unlocked by and can buy within a class.
    • Step 2: Add a few of your dinos at the top of your roster.
    • Step 3: Add out the level of all the dinos in your roster on the table.
      • Optional Step: Add in the health and attack of the dinos in your roster.
    • Step 4: Use the Rarity Table in section C to find what level you have to have each of the dinos you can buy for them to fit into your lineup.
    • Step 5: Add notes to the dinos that have drawbacks to them.
    • Step 6: View the requirements/needs for those dinos that you can buy.
    • Step 7: Pick what dino(s) you want to buy, which includes the route needed to add it into your lineup.
      • Option Step: Calculate the Ferocities of the dinos once you can view the 4 different levels when you have at least one copy of a dino.
  • E. How to make your roster more powerful.

• Step 1: See what dinos in the top of your roster you have unlocked, access to (like unhatched but locked), duplicates of, and potentially fusible into hybrids.
    • Step 2: Consider what levels each potential dino needs to be at within your wanted level.
    • Step 3: Consider Drawbacks of certain rarities/dinos
    • Step 4: Gather Duplicates of the dinos you want to use for your new roster.
    • Step 5: Cut your current roster in half to get a more powerful one.
    • Conclusion for having a more powerful roster:

A. Introduction

So ya wanna make your dinos more powerful, but don’t know how?

OR

Do ya wanna add more dinos to your lineup but don’t know how?

Well you’ve come to the right place!

It can be tricky because currently there are no in-game resources for adjusting your lineup. Even worse, if you end up making a dino too powerful and ruin your lineup and chances at winning daily battles you are only left with 2 options: Try and get other dinos to be more powerful ASAP OR sell your powerful dino. Either choice is VERY inconvenient and so it’s best to look through here to find ways you can mitigate those problems.

B. Ferocity, and how to understand it

So the key to the power of dinos is based off their Ferocity Score. This is calculated by a simple equation:

(attack) * 3.2 + (health).

For example, a lvl 30 Velociraptor has 216 attack, and 565 health. By putting those numbers into the equation (216 * 3.2 + 565) and using PEMDAS the Ferocity Score comes out to 1,256.

This is the case for ALL dinos. The higher the rarity, the higher the Ferocity will be. I honestly ignore the .2 in the 3.2 but it’s not explained well enough as to why some dinos (the VIP ones in particular) have different orders if the .2 is excluded. Cudos to @Sionsith for figuring out Ferocity, check out his thread for more info in regards to finding Ferocity:

Now the reason why Ferocity matters is because it is what used by the AI to match opponents against you in EVERY battle (PvE events and “PvP”/tournaments). This is important because the AI factors in multiple dinos in your lineup to calculate the enemies used. So if one dino has far more Ferocity than the others, it will lead to harder AI opponents. This is where improving your lineup is SOOO important.

C. The Basics

To increase or even round out your lineup comes down to a few important parts. Don’t restrict yourself to a certain rarity, because it can really limit your potential for increase the power of your lineups later on down the road.

Below is a Table showing how the rarities of dinos compare to other rarities. This also goes for Aquatic and Cenozoic Dinos as well.

Now as a disclaimer, Not every dino falls in line with this chart. Some are either weaker or stronger than the averages.

Rarity
Common: Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Common Hybrids: Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Rare Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Rare Hybrids Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Rare Super Hybrids Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Super Rare Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Super Rare Hybrids Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Super Rare Super Hybrids Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30
Legendary Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Legendary Hybrids Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Legendary Tournament Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Legendary VIP Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Legendary Tournament Hybrids Lvl 10 Lvl 20 Lvl 30 Lvl 40
Legendary Super Hybrids Lvl 10 Lvl 20

As you see with the Green highlight in the table, a level 40 common is in the same ballpark as a level 30 Rare, a level 20 Common Hybrid and Super Rare, and level 10 Rare Hybrid and Legendary. Just follow the collums to find what rarities compare with others.

D. Expanding your roster of Dinos: The Basics.

The key to this game is having options to what dinos you have access to in your battles. This can be as simple as having 18 dinos to complete your daily battles, all the way up to having optional dinos such as Tank dinos who are stacked with Health (HP) and can absorb hits, to Glass Cannon dinos who can destroy enemy opponents far easier than most at the cost of being very fragile.

The key to expanding your roster is keeping a lineup that includes all 4 classes (if Aquatic or Cenozoic, 3 classes) as evenly as possible.

These classes are Carnivores, Herbivores, Pterosaurs, and Amphibians.

For Aquatic, the 3 classes are Surfaces, Caves, and Reefs.

And for Cenozoic, the 3 classes are Snow, Savanna, and Caverns.

Keep these graphs in mind, as they are very important since certain classes have advantages and disadvantages over other classes.

For those who choose/want to have specialized dinos, this is a list of the terminology for reference:

Tanks/Meat Shields: Dinos who have superior Health and are mainly put into battle to absorb attacks.

Glass Cannons: Dinos who have far less health, but far superior attacking capabilities.

E. How to expand your roster.

Whenever I would expand my roster, I would keep in mind what dinos could take me to the next level, and would prefer those that could. Since Ludia really messed up changed how dinos get unlocked this might not be easy for most to do.

The first step to expanding your roster is finding out what class of dinos you have the most, and what class of dinos you have the least of. Ideally you should keep tabs on how many of each class you have, but a fantastic starting point is knowing what class of dinos you have too much of or not enough of.

As an example:

If you have 8 Carnivores, 7 Herbivores, 7 Pterosaurs, and 4 Amphibians then you should look towards adding more Amphibians into your lineup.

When starting out, look at what dinos you have unlocked. Ideally it’s best to gravitate towards the stronger dinos which reside in the higher end classes. This is, once again, because these dinos can be used when making a more powerful lineup if you choose you want to proceed down that route later on.

Stay away from loading up on MAX Level (lvl 40) Commons, Rares, and Super Rares base-game dinos.

These dinos are an amazing stepping stone, but they can’t take you far once you max them out to level 40. My rule of thumb is owning every base-game dino at level 40. Those 1-of-each dinos are more than enough for me to grind through the first few of tournament leagues. Once I have a base-game dinos of lower rarity at level 40, I don’t do anything with it, unless I can fuse it into a Hybrid.

So just because you have 6 level 40 Triceratops when your best dinos are around level 30 Super Rares, doesn’t mean you have a wide roster to choose from.

The only purpose to having multiple dinos maxed out (ideally no more than 2) is if you want to maximize coin generation OR have a reserve dino saved up for a Hybrid fusion.

But 4 of those 6 level 40 Triceratops can easily be sold and their DNA used buy stronger and higher rarity dinos, possibly hybrids.

Sell Excess dinos that are below your primary roster.

Hatching and Selling those Triceratops pay out 50 DNA, and that amount only goes up the higher the dino rarities. Matter of fact place the dino into their paddock and THEN sell them, so you get the XP from hatching them to level up your park faster.

I see too many people stock up and save these dinos when they really don’t provide a purpose useful towards their roster of dinos.

Step 1: List out what Dinos you have unlocked by and can buy within a class.

This goes hand in hand with picking the higher rarity dinos, as they can take you further in the game.

Plus if you compare stats, you might even come across dinos who are better suited to being a Tank or a Glass Cannon. These are fantastic options for expanding a roster.

As an example, if you have the choice between a Eryops, Prionosuchus, Ichthyostega, Kaprosuchus, and Nundasuchus, list them out by rarity.

What dinos I can buy
Eryops
Prionosuchus
Ichthyostega
Kaprosuchus
Nundasuchus

Step 2: Add a few of your dinos at the top of your roster.

This way you can see how each dino you have listed out compares to your current roster.

Dinos
T. Rex
Eolambia
Ankylosaurus
Postosuchus
Eryops
Prionosuchus
Ichthyostega
Kaprosuchus
Nundasuchus

Step 3: Add out the level of all the dinos in your roster on the table.

Dinos Level
T. Rex lvl 30
Eolambia lvl 10
Ankylosaurus lvl 40
Postosuchus lvl 40
Eryops
Prionosuchus
Ichthyostega
Kaprosuchus
Nundasuchus

Optional Step: Add in the health and attack of the dinos in your roster.

This is an optional step because if the dinos you can buy are of different rarity, then you won’t know the stats of the dinos if you don’t already own a copy of that dino. That’s why this step can be skipped, because the Rarity Table above is far simpler to use than hunting down the stats of dinos not at level 40.

Dinos Level Health Attack
T. Rex lvl 30 1133 433
Eolambia lvl 10 1037 486
Ankylosaurus lvl 40 1011 256
Postosuchus lvl 40 552 402
Eryops
Prionosuchus
Ichthyostega
Kaprosuchus
Nundasuchus

Step 4: Use the Rarity Table in section C to find what level you have to have each of the dinos you can buy for them to fit into your lineup.

Dinos Level What Level to fit into my roster
T. Rex lvl 30
Eolambia lvl 10
Ankylosaurus lvl 40
Postosuchus lvl 40
Eryops lvl 20
Prionosuchus lvl 30
Ichthyostega lvl 30
Kaprosuchus lvl 40
Nundasuchus X - Can be used to make a Rare Hybrid
Nundagosaurus lvl 30

Since the Eryops is a Legendary Tournament dino, the level equivalent to a base-game Legendary (using the T. rex rarity) at level 30 would be 20. A level 40 Super Rare is equal to a level 30 Legendary, and so it all adds up.

However, as you see above the Nundasuchus is NOT equal to any of the levels of your roster. Thus he should NOT be a choice for helping expand your roster. The only way he can contribute to expanding your roster is if you get him to level 40, while you also have access to a level 40 Tuojiangosaurus (Common). With that Rare Hybrid you’d need him at level 30 for him to fit into your roster.

Step 5: Add notes to the dinos that have drawbacks to them.

This way you can compare what some of the drawbacks might be of certain dinos.

Dinos Level What Level to fit into my roster Notes
T. Rex lvl 30
Eolambia lvl 10
Ankylosaurus lvl 40
Postosuchus lvl 40
Eryops lvl 20 1 week hatch time
Prionosuchus lvl 30 can be used to make a Legendary Hybrid
Ichthyostega lvl 30 can be used to make a Legendary Hybrid
Kaprosuchus lvl 40 lvl 40, cannot be leveled up again, can be used to make a Tournament Hybrid
Nundasuchus X Can be used to make a Rare Hybrid
Nundagosaurus lvl 30

So as you see the Eryops needs 1 full week to hatch. Both Legendary Amphibians can be used to make Legendary Hybrids, which can be useful for leveling up your roster later on. Kaprosuchus can make a Tournament Hybrid, but the main flaw with that is a level 10 Tournament Hybrid does not work with level 40 Super Rares, so by trying to pursue that hybrid you’d be invalidating the Ankylosaurus and Postosuchus, which are key to the example roster. Meanwhile the Nundasuchus only has it’s Rare Hybrid going for it.

Step 6: View the requirements/needs for those dinos that you can buy.

Lets say there is already an Eryops at Level 10, a Level 20 Ichthyostega, and two Level 10 Kaprosuchuses.

The requirements would be:

Eryops: Need 1 week to hatch another Eryops to get to level 20.
Prionosuchus: Need 4 dinos to get a level 30
Ichthyostega: Already have a level 20, would only need 2 more
Kaprosuchus: Need 6 more to get to level 40.
Nundasuchus: Need a Tuojiangosaurus at level 40 to fuse, and then 5 more dinos to get this Rare Hybrid to level 30.

Step 7: Pick what dino(s) you want to buy, which includes the route needed to add it into your lineup.

The Eryops can easily be put in the 4th incubation chamber and after a week it can be fused to make a level 20.

The Ichthyostega just need two more copies to finally get it to level 30. Those two can easily be put in the second and third incubation chambers and will only take 3 days to hatch.

Then the Kaprosuchus can have 6 dinos hatched in the first chamber throughout the week.

Option Step: Calculate the Ferocities of the dinos once you can view the 4 different levels when you have at least one copy of a dino.

For example, since there is already 1 copy of the Eryops, on the right side of the screen you can choose what level you want to view. When selected, the stats will be visible at the bottom right. Enter the stats into the Ferocity Equation, so the equation would look like 233 * 3.2 + 1740 = 2485.

Now calculate the ferocity of a few of the dinos in your roster to see if the numbers are in the same ballpark.

The T. Rex’s ferocity is 2518 (the equation would be 433 * 3.2 + 1133)

So by calculating the Ferocity, a level 20 Eryops would be slightly weaker than a level 30 T. Rex.

This step is fantastic for double checking dinos across different rarities. It’s also a way to be safe without getting confused by keeping dinos at wierd levels since the stats of the levels 10, 20, 30, and 40 are given in-game only if you have at least one copy of that dino.

Conclusion for expanding your roster:

At first these seem like a lot of steps, but the more you do it the more natural it will feel in the future. I’ve played SO MUCH and for SO LONG that I have the Rarity Table imbedded in my skull. I know what Dinos equate to what levels among different rarities. Thus as a late game player I can manage my roster by keeping dinos at certain levels despite all the different rarities as a late game player.

Plus this all carries over to the Aquatic and Cenozoic parks as well! As long as you know what classes of dinos you need, you can figure out how to fill those voids in your rosters.

Just look at this section of my roster, and it shows a Legendary Hybrid, Super Rare S-Hybrid, Rare S-Hybrid, 3 Legendary Tournament Hybrids, and a far weaker Legendary Hybrid all sharing a common space being of roughly equal Ferocity.

IMAGE.

PLUS the benefit of this all is that you can find out what dinos are super weak compared to the rest of their Rarity group.

E. How to make your roster more powerful.

This section if for players who want to make a more powerful lineup, where the first sizeable numbers of your dinos is brought up to the next “level”.

Step 1: See what dinos in the top of your roster you have unlocked, access to (like unhatched but locked), duplicates of, and potentially fusible into hybrids.

This gives you your potential pool for upgrading your roster. The main goal is seeing what dinos can be evolved to higher levels.

Unlocked Dinos are important because they can be bought on demand and used to increase your lineup after hatching.

However some mid-to-late game players might have dinos available to hatch but are not unlocked. This is important to consider because if you do not have enough copies to support your new roster then it would be a waste of the hatch times and evolution times.

It’s also possible to have duplicate dinos within a roster. As an example, VIP dinos. They can be unlocked in different ways than non-VIP dinos, and thus you might have duplicates that can contribute to your new roster with just an evolution, or even a few.

Then last up, most late-game players rely on hybrids, and so a potential fusion of one might be beneficial (as well as EXTREMELY RISKY) for getting to a more powerful roster level.

Step 2: Consider what levels each potential dino needs to be at within your wanted level.

This is because the complexity of the game stretches beyond dino rarities. For example, a level 20 VIP dino is roughly the same as a level 40 base-game Legendary. Refer back to the table above to see what rarities need to be equal to others.

Step 3: Consider Drawbacks of certain rarities/dinos

Legendary Tournament dinos take a week to hatch, and so while you might have one unlocked it might delay your goal of making your roster more powerful to a week, or longer if you need more than 3 (or 4 at full hatchery capacity including free slot which I would advise against using).

Or how (some) VIP dinos can be harder to aquire the higher level they are, thus delaying the end goal.

These are just examples, but if requested I can provide a detailed list of these drawbacks.

Step 4: Gather Duplicates of the dinos you want to use for your new roster.

At the very minimum, 2 of each dino at equal levels that you want to use in your new roster.

THIS IS KEY, because evolutions are what make dinos more powerful. The next step beyond just making 1 dino more powerful for a new roster, is to gather enough dinos to evolve in a short period of time, thus making your entire roster more powerful.

Step 5: Cut your current roster in half to get a more powerful one.

In leymans terms, evolve and fuse all dinos that you have duplicates of that you want in your new roster.

My best advise is to set aside a week where you can willingly opt out of battles and events (for the roster class you are making more powerful. It’s best to start this on Sunday where the week event schedule is posted on Ludia’s/GW:TG’s social medias, or if some forum user so kindly makes a post about. This way you know what events you can avoid or even not live without, like unlocking new dinos.

Once you gather duplicates of every dino you want in your new roster AND decide on a week of missed battles, start loading up your Evolution Chambers. Don’t focus on speeding up dinos with dbux, because higher rarities will DRAIN your dbux due to the higher chance of a failed evolution. Focus on keeping all chambers filled.

If you need a more powerful roster and absolutely need/want to speed up the evolutions, then these are the days/times where the Creation Lab has discounts:

Wednesday :

• 3pm - 5pm PST : Creation Lab speed up discount 15%.

Friday :

• 3pm - 5pm PST : Creation Lab speed up discount 15%.

and IF you’re a VIP:
Monday :

• 3pm - 5pm PST : VIP only : Creation Lab speed up discount 15%.

Thursday :

• 3pm - 5pm PST : VIP only : Creation Lab speed up discount 15%.

Full discount list available in this thread:

Conclusion for having a more powerful roster:

If done correctly you should now have a more powerful roster of dinos. The key to having this new roster is having enough variety of dinos to where you can complete daily events. If you have 6 dinos in a more powerful tier then you run the risk of gridlocking your game until you either hatch and evolve more dinos to add to your roster OR as a last resort sell those powerful dinos so you have a balanced lineup again.

My recommendation is 21 dinos minimum for the Jurassic Class, 15 for Aquatic and Cenozoic. This is because you want enough of a roster to choose dinos from, as well as having a few fallback dinos in case you lose certain battles within events.

More dinos is certainly recommended as it can be beneficial for a diverse roster as well as another great shot at increasing the power of your roster again.

14 Likes

:trophy: :trophy:

2 Likes

A couple of points

There are additional reasons to have multiple copies of creatures in various paddocks

1. The more full the paddock, the better the Code-19 rewards (assuming they return to the game)

2. Increased coverage in specialized events/Rules tournaments

6 Likes

It would be really good if this thread could be pinned. It will clear a lot of confusion for new Forum members.

4 Likes

Topic pinned!

8 Likes

Thank you @Isabelle. This move will surely help a lot of new players and clear many initial confusions. :smiley:

2 Likes