Ludia Forums

Happy National Go Fishing Day!

Yes, today is “National Go Fishing Day” in North America. Does the DPG consider prehistoric aquatic creatures to be “dinosaurs?” Do you?
I hope everyone has had a very good JWA game play day before the tournament day! Hugs :hugs::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

I go fishing usually every week at my neighborhood pond. We never catch fish and once I got caught in a tree!

3 Likes

Me too!!! I fish in my pond. Almost every time, the fish I caught is a koi.

1 Like

I love that you both go fishing in the closest bodies of water you can find! I go to the creek across the street for ‘catch and release’ as well!

@Keith Got some special thing planned in your corner? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dad and I used to go fishing when I was a kid, but ever since getting pet fish I just don’t want to bother the water critters anymore. I kind of want to feed the wels catfishes though. They’re gathering at the edge of a lake in a park, and aren’t afraid of people.

2 Likes

Oof, yes, I do dislike the hook part of the fishing @Detonatress. It all seems so brutal. I do kiss my fishies before releasing them. That doesn’t make up for ripping that hook out. Oh no, I don’t kiss the worm before sending it flying through the air though. I need to stop over thinking before I kiss too many creatures.

If only there were dinosaurs to kiss!

If you remember, what kind of pet fish and what was it’s name?

2 Likes

Net catching would probably be less damaging. But requires more food as lure and not sure what type of net would be safest.

I’ve had many kinds of fish, but my favorites were the hoplos (megalechis thoracata) and the swordtails (xiphophorus helleri). Guppies were nice too, but bettas are just hit and miss as far as community fish come, mine tore the eyes out of my zebra danios’ skulls, and ate the dorsal fin of a hoplo (it grew back). Had to separate the bettas, and I didn’t know much about how to keep those, as I was just 7 back then.
Some other fish I’ve kept: mollies, platys, fossilis (would have become a tankbuster if it were still alive), crucian carps (a friend didn’t want them eaten so she gave them to me), some baby lake fish that looked similar to neons but weren’t those (they shone like rainbows but didn’t survive more than a month), and an old albino cory I’ve found abandoned in a lake next to her dead buddy (she only lived a few more months before dying eventually), some golden fish I forgot the name of (had a tiny black dot, possibly rosy barb), several fat fancy goldfish all with fantails, and tiny angelfish. Most of these I acquired because their former owners didn’t want them anymore.

Nowadays I just have 6 homebred orange swordtail females and a hoplo female in a 1 m (3 foot) long tank. Will restock with longfin swordtails once the swordtail pop goes down a bit. Need to keep things in balance there.

2 Likes

I really do enjoy this, thank you! My dad and I had fish tanks in the house when I was a kid. He had a BIG one in the livingroom and I had a little one in my bedroom. Fresh water. The algae “sucker” fish, plecostomus, was fun to watch. I learned the word excrement from that experience, as a child. And I was allowed to care for the Mom guppy and her babies in my room.

I think a net will be a whole lot more fun in the creek whether or not I have bait :smirk::laughing:

1 Like

I never had a pleco but I know someone who has a bristlenose albino one. It kind of reminds me of the rabbits I had, the way it moves that nose and has those red eyes.

My dad used to catch saltwater fish with an improvised net made out of his handkerchief. He caught some fish that had a red triangle on their heads. No idea what they were.

2 Likes

@DinoTyrant, I am still laughing at the thought of you going fishing, and the tree catching you instead. :laughing::hugs::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Haha, I can see that with the eyes, especially. And now I need to see the nose in action.
Your Dad’s the macgyver of fishing, for sure!

I found a video of bristlenoses doing their nose move while munching.

2 Likes

The first time I tried fishing was with my dad and on the first cast the hook and worm caught my hair and never made it into the water.

On the other hand, we had tons of fish at home, but mainly because I had a school project where everyone had to take care of guppy, and at the end of the year, you were supposed to take home your fish. a bunch of children didn’t, So I showed up at home with 20 guppies in a bag. Which led us to get a tank.

@Tielenaar JWTG and D&D Warriors of Waterdeep are keeping me pretty busy, so it might be a little while before Keith’s Corner gets revamped a little.

4 Likes

We miss you Keith!
Any 11 cash magic you can do to cheer us up? :wink:

5 Likes

We’ve had a lot of fish in the past. Dad has kept all kinds of fish but I best remember the Cichlids, they’re his favorite. He bred a few different kinds, we had a whole basement dedicated to fishkeeping. He had a huge 90 gallon community tank with African Cichlids, mostly from lake Malowie. He had a giant Frontosia, lots the bluedolphins (I think they’re called?), And the electric yellows. Then he switched it into a Tanganyikan themed tank. This one was the coolest by far, there where little itty-bitty fish that dug tunnels and lived inside snail shells, there where daffodils, Leluepi, Jullies. He even had one group of shell dwellers that bred and had so many babies! It was so cool. These are some of my favorite memories before things got bad between us :cry:

I had some fish of my own, goldfish, swordtails, mollies, glass catfish (one of the coolest :heart_eyes:), Betta, and not a fish but still awesome, a mudpuppy :star_struck:. The memories! Wow I needed this especially today!

3 Likes

Now fishing is not something I’ve gotten to do very much, which is disappointing because my family is big on fishing and hunting, but the few times I’ve gone it’s been very fun.

2 Likes

My pond is close. Real close

A quick bike ride away

2 Likes

Not today though, thunderstorms :cloud_with_lightning:

1 Like

Oh goodness, @Keith, 20 guppies turned into 2 hundred in no time, right?! I like your guppy story :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. And your first time fishing story is good stuff! I like little Keith.