Help newbie w/PvP

I have only been playing a couple of days. I’m having a really hard time in pvp. It seems I’m being drastically outmatched. I still have a lot to learn on battle strategy, but I lose every single match and I have done a lot today. I’m going up against Dino’s with much higher health and higher attack. Can someone recommend where I can find some info on battle strategy?
Thanks bunches :blush:

Hello @Ayrelle and welcome.
I am sure that you can find a lot of useful advices if you look around in this forum. I’ve been playing now for more than 2.5 years, so it’s been a while since I started. I can remember that it took quite a while before I was able to succeed in PvP. In the beginning you should concentrate on building up a balanced lineup of creatures.
You can participate in tournaments which took place nearly every weekend and take the fights that are offered if you reach a new level.
In some months, this game really needs a lot of patience, you will be able to win some of the PvPs.
Most important: Don’t push it and always keep your lineup balanced, meaning don’t let any creature become much stronger than the rest.

1 Like
Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice. I just found the forum this evening. I look forward to getting to know y’all, and reading all of the information available.

IMHO If you bring a balanced team to PvP the game will give you on average a balanced fight. Meaning you want to bring creatures of the same rarity and level and the game will give you a match of something similar. Also keep in mind you are playing a bot and not a real person, which means it follows a set of rules that you can use to your advantage once you start to understand how it operates.

1 Like

I am not sure if our calculation fits for new players from the beginning.
When I started I was not able to win any battle in the first 2 months. In those days battles were very rare, I did not care too much about them.
Suddenly I sound so old.

3 Likes

I am speaking from doing some recent lvl 1 PvP when the Jurassic wheel was broken. I would bring three level 1 creatures and the game would generally do the same, some times it would throw a level 4or 5 in the mix but generally it would always be lvl 1 or 2 for its match up. Otherwise yes it had been a very long time.

2 Likes

@Ayrelle raises an excellent question, and this thread is as good a thread as any for collecting our PvP wisdom. There are numerous strategies we employ, though doubtless some overlap. I’ll contribute what I know as time allows.

In no particular order except as it occurs to me:

Opening Behavior: generally speaking, whatever the opponent does with its first move is what it will do with the next two or so. For example, if it attacks once, the next move, it will probably attack once. Same with twice. If it blocks one and reserves one, it’ll probably do the same again. If it reserves two, it’ll probably reserve two the next turn. Generally speaking.

Class advantage: the opponent will generally go for class advantage. If it has a creature that will gain the advantage over yours, it will generally switch to that creature (e.g., you have a pterosaur and it has a herbivore in the line-up). Likewise, if it’s at a disadvantage, it will generally prefer to switch out the creature rather than sacrifice its creature. Again, generally speaking. You can use this to your advantage to get the AI to waste action points.

Green at 5: If the AI hasn’t made any hits yet in the battle, by the time it gets to 4 or 5 action points, it generally will do so. E.g., if it’s coming up on the third turn (which means the AI will have three action points granted), and it has at least one reserve, it will probably attack that turn, all other things equal (if, for example, it will switch out a dinosaur for class advantage, it may not attack).

Going for the For-Sure Kill: the AI will generally kill your dinosaur if it knows it can. It will assume any extra action points you have are used for block and compensate accordingly. Example: I have five action points. I use three to kill an enemy opponent and reserve two. The enemy’s next dinosaur comes up; it has 7 action points (3 from reserve). It can kill my dino in three hits. It will assume I used my two leftover action points to block, and it will toss five hit points at me. There are times I’ve used this assumption on the AI’s part to get it to waste all its action points. For example, if I know my meat shield can die with three hits from the enemy dino, and I have four action points, I will purposely “waste” three hits on the enemy dino and then reserve the one. The enemy dino will respond with a four-hit, effectively using all its points on that turn. I lose my dino, but I know the next dino in my line-up can kill the opponent in two hits; I kill it with two hits, and then I have two more to stock in reserve. If this example is unclear, toss it out; the important thing is to know that the enemy will almost always go for the kill if it knows it can.

Left-Over Action Points from a Kill Almost Always Go into Block: When an AI does do a for-sure kill on one of my creatures, it often (not always) uses any remaining action points for block. For example: the AI has six action points. It can kill my creature in four, and it does so. Chances are good that it has used those last two action points for block rather than reserve, and I should plan my next attack accordingly (hopefully, the next creature in my line-up has enough action points to kill that creature, plus two).

No Wounding: Most of the time, there is no good reason to attack unless you are wiping out the enemy creature. Otherwise, you’re wasting your attacks. Save up on block or reserve.

Know your maths. I’ve shared elsewhere (will link to it later if I have time and energy to find the link) that you gotta memorize the maths. Multipliers are huge: 2 hits does 2.4x damage; 3 hits does 4x damage; 4 hits does 6x damage; 5 hits does 9x damage; 6 hits does 12x damage; 7 hits does 15x damage; 8 hits does 20x damage. Know your math and do calculations.

Uh, I’m the AI and I Don’t Know What to Do: There are a few patterns that the AI will generally do if it is clueless as to what you’ve done (e.g., you’ve not attacked yet and kept all your points for either block or reserve). If the AI has 4 actions, it will generally do 2 each of something; 2 block and 2 reserve; 2 attack and 2 reserve, etc. For example, if the opponent doesn’t attack on its turn, and I have enough action points to reach kill damage plus two action points, I do exactly that: however many attack points to kill the enemy, plus 2. More often than not, I take out the enemy.

If the AI has three action points, and it doesn’t know know what you’re doing and you haven’t hit yet, it will generally split those three action points evenly: one hit, one block, one reserve.

Once the enemy AI has more than four action points, if it has no clue what your reserve-block might be, it will generally use all but one action point for attack. For example, if it has six action points, it will probably attack with five and keep one on block or reserve.

Ah, Ah, Ah, Stayin’ Alive, Stayin’ Alive: Many of us use the first slot for a meat shield creature to build up reserve. This is generally, but not always, a good strategy. That said, you’ll usually want to keep your meat shield alive as long as possible. Example: my meat shield is a herbivore, but the enemy’s first creature is a carnivore that can kill my herbivore with two hits. There’s no point in doing one reserve point (assuming you get the first move) and then letting the enemy kill my meat shield. Instead, use that first point as a block so that you are guaranteed your first dinosaur survives at least one round; remember, you’ll keep getting an extra action point for the first three rounds. If the enemy carnivore doesn’t attack but uses two blocks, you know you can reserve one and block one next time around and stay alive for one more round. If the enemy carnivore doesn’t block, you know it has three action points next time, so use two block to stay alive. This strategy should also be used late in the battle; for example, I have one dinosaur left and the enemy has two. I have seven action points. I can kill the current opponent in three. However, the final opponent can kill my dinosaur with four hits. So I kill my opponent with three, use three block (I only need enough health to stay live), and one reserve. Chances are good the final enemy will use all its hit points to try to kill me; I’ll stay alive and have enough action points to kill the enemy since it has no blocks.

When It’s Down to One on One, Go on Offense: So you’ve played smart, but randomness has happened. Each of you has one creature left. You use three blocks and one reserve; the enemy has five action points. But lo and behold, the darn thing doesn’t attack at all! Uh-oh! So now what? Did it do five blocks? One block? Three and two? You have five action points and need to land three hits to kill the enemy. Should you unload the truck and cross your fingers? Or should you block three or four and reserve the rest? More often than not, I’ve found it’s best to unload all your attacks. Maybe 70% of the time, the enemy blocks only one or two and reserves the rest. Most of the time. Not all. It is kind of a crapshoot at that point. But when in doubt, give 'em both barrels.

Ugh. I’m spent; my fingertips are sore, my brain is drained, and you’re probably bored or typing “TL; DR.” But I hope there’s something helpful in here. Others, please alter or contribute as you see best.

Now if this advice makes any of you beat me in a tournament so that I don’t make Dominator, we’re no longer friends. :slight_smile: I’m also setting up a Paypal donation site for @Sionsith and me. :wink:

11 Likes

Oh wow! That was very informative! Thank you for posting it. It will take some time to actually try out (learn) so much great info. I have tried several more battles today. I need to remember that multiplier. (Ouch)
I have put ie. All blue ones around L20 and the AI is putting up it was either bronze ones or silver ones. (I forgot) They we’re lower level but with the multiplier, do a lot of damage. I think I’ll be doing ok, but my last Dino gets a 1 smack knock down. I think I’ll have it and have put all final hits as atk and miscalculate. I’ll try saving a block and see how I do. I’ll work on developing a better meat shield too.
Ty again!

I generally treat my first creature as disposable. She is there to generate as much reserve as possible and then suck up as many action points from the AI as possible.

If I go second, which it seems I usually do, I jump straight to the reserve. My reasoning for this is I am guaranteed to be behind in action points and therefore likely to die. So, I try to get as much out of the situation as possible and so if my creature can make it to round 2, I will have 4 reserve. If my lead off creature dosen’t survive round 2, hopefully my number 2 can kill in 2 hits block with 2 and survive, so that she can then reserve 4 in round 4.

I don’t get attached to my lineup. Each creature is there to do a job and then pass reserve on to the next one. Generally. Sometimes the situation recommends that a certain creature survive. Sometimes I can make that happen; sometimes I can’t.

I’m not a big believer in swapping out the lead off creature unless one of two situations is occurring.

1. I can do so and still survive. Remember you will be behind in action points unless you’ve been able to reserve.
  2. It’s time to sacrifice and I will have at least 3 reserve points after the swap.

In terms of my lineup, I always like a meat shield out front. With Aquatics and Cenozoics, having one of each class gives you certain options. For Jurassics, I prefer my 2 and 3 to not be from adjacent classes on the advantage wheel, for example amphibian and herbivore. That way weaknesses are covered.

Lots of good advice in @HanSoloWannaBe’s post.

There’s my 2 cents, and it’s worth what it cost you.

3 Likes

I do this thing where I use my level 10 common creatures to easily win battles and immediately be able to use them again using the free speed up

The problem with that is you don’t get the better prize wheels. But yeah, when Ludia nerfed the PvP where there was only one prize wheel, that had only common dinos and common packs, a lot of us used our commons for all our PvPs due to the short cooldowns (I’m still hatching out some of the commons I won due to how many PvPs I did during that time, use them when I need a speedup for my daily mission).

1 Like

I just created an account in this forum to give a like, i already know that things but I appreciate your effort on writing that many info for the new players =)

1 Like

the basic multipliers to be more exact are…
1 hit = 1 x, 2 hits = 2.4x, 3 hits = 4.2x, 4 hits = 6.4x …

for example a dino that has 1000 damage uses 3 points so it’s 4200 damage…

1 Like

necro post