Ludia Forums

How do you gauge how "strategic" a dino is?

The whole DC thing (which I DO NOT want to rehash) has gotten me thinking… how do you gauge just how much strategy a dino takes to use. People say DC is no strategy, while I think it’s a lot, whereas I think Thor is more of a no strategy dino…
Tryko? I think it takes quite a bit to use it right, while Dilo, Utarinex, and Erlidom all seem to follow the same basic move patterns with very little variation - not a lot of real strategy there.

So, in your opinion, what does it take for a dino to be a “strategic” dino, while others require “no strategy”.

Here’s my take on it - when I see who gets picked for a battle I immediately think about how one dino can set up another based on what my opponent is likely to be playing (for instance the majority of people I used to face would start with spinotasuchus, but since the unique event, that has shifted to erlidom). That way I decide who to start with, and what moves to use based on what the opponent actually sends out. A better move set and flexibility is what I look for in strategy… plus the option to really surprise your opponent with an unexpected move.

5 Likes

How I tell if dinos are strategic is what their moves are and what they counter. Like if a dino has Bleed and a shield, hes a good bleeder while staying alive.
If there’s a moveset with decent attack and shields like Dioraja, then that’s a good strat.

2 Likes

Dioraja is a permanent part of my team, and should hit 28 this weekend with the raja event!

3 Likes

I dont even have her yet!
I’m not even close! :joy:
Good luck!

It’s been a grind for sure, but the last couple weeks with the tuo event, anky event (and daily mission rewards) and now the raja event are all coming together now!

2 Likes

I gauge the stats and the attacks. Some attacks and/or combinations are better than others.

1 Like

gigaspikasaur thats a good strategic dino.a dino with a broad kit like that really comes in handy

2 Likes

swappers and swapins are very strategic but i feel they should have survivability

1 Like

Utasino is very strategic. You have to use a different sequence of moves depending on the opponent. Changed my life when I learned it can beat Indoraptor with only one move going through the Evasive Stance, as long as the stun works.

2 Likes

I usually go with the number of dinos this one is good at countering. Thus, I tend to think things like Tenonto and Monostego are much more strategic than, say Thor. The ones with the more diverse movesets, IMO, since you can rock/paper/scissors your opponent.

2 Likes

DC actually requires quite a bit of strategy to achieve its tyrant tier strength by planning, timing and team composition. People say DC requires no strategy because even without planning, timing and team composition, DC can still achieve at least mid apex strength (Simply by switching in and out for the damage).

1 Like

Honestly quite a bit of this game is “strategic.”

Let’s compare this game to another that i am very fond of – Yu-Gi-Oh! The main objective or “win condition” in Yu-Gi-Oh! is to reduce your opponent’s life points to zero, while keeping your own LP above. Sound familiar?

The fun in Yu-Gi-Oh! for me personally, based on my deck and playstyle, comes from backing my opponent into a corner, pinning them down, and crushing them under the weight of a 25000ATK beat stick. This requires a lot of probability management, particularly with back row (your opponent’s other creatures in JWA). I see similar thought processes of, “Alright, if i take out this one, whatever comes in is most likely going to be faster, and try to set up for whatever comes out next, so i’ll do this.” A lot of good prediction in this game.

That can’t frigging happen consistently in this game because of the RNG! I’ll have an opponent backed into two creatures with less than 500 health, and a lucky 5% crit, or 4 lucky 50% dodges can turn my perfect 2-1 lead into a loss.

Sorry about the rant. I had a really bad go at the arena earlier.

2 Likes

We’ve all been there… You’re right. That’s why I hate dodges… They ruin the strategy and make a match totally based on luck. I don’t have problems with 75% stuns, or 20% and 30% crit (though I’d prefer if these were by move instead of a dino feature)… 'cause then at least you can consider you chances of something being able to happen or not. But when you put something so decisive as dodges in a 50/50 chance, practically a coin toss, it’s just stupid.

The only strategy for DC is to damage your opponent’s first dino enough to swap in and then widdle the last 2 down into the same health range. Basically no strategy at all. Just a sucker punch. Argue it all you want but it is what it is.

6 Likes

Anyone thinking many of these dinos are “strategic” while all the end game dinos aren’t are just salty. Yeah that two move common or three move rare is a real Rubik’s cube.

4 Likes

The rat… uh no, DC has strategic value. We must manage to calculate the enemy’s health range is within our DC’s base attack value multiply by 2 in 30 secs. It definitely requires skill, stop whining about DC just because we are better at maths!!!

2 Likes

How is Thor any different?

Hmmm, will it instant stun before it’s rampage, or after… :thinking:

2 Likes

You have to plan when to use DSI.

This was a /s btw

I was wondering when someone was going to complain about calling DC a strategy :joy:

I don’t think Draco is strategic by itself either, BUT it’s use is undoubtedly part of the strategy of your team. Depending on what you have, you might be forced to send Draco early or not, decide if you attack or regenerate once it’s on the field, and so on… If it was so obviously simple we wouldn’t see so many players making mistakes with it. I see wrong choices being made with Dracos practically every day.

4 Likes

Another part of the strategy with DC that I use, (this goes back to what i said earlier) is to pull Draco back after using it to kill their 1st or 2nd, and now they’re anticipating the switch, so they start making openings you can take advantage of.