How to balance the Swap in Damage

While it’s true that not every creature has an on-escape, more and more creatures have been released that do feature these moves. As a player, if you suspect a swap is about to occur it’s up to you to act accordingly and swap as well, either to a swapper of your own or to a creature with no-escape. You can also fodder something off.

Additionally, you can stick it out and punish the swap-in dino with your current creature. Most of the meta is stun resistant anyway, so that aspect isn’t terrible. Swapping adds way more than it takes away from the game, and prevents nitro-boosted creatures from decimating everything.

1 Like

Thats the thing, it’s just a suspicion: you can’t ever be sure, and it’s an uncertainty that’s present in every turn of every match. Even if your opponent doesn’t have a single swap in dino, it still affects how you play out the matchup. It’s weird to think about, but it’s the only “hidden” option in the game (besides maybe swapping to a dino with a counter). You know your opponent dino’s 4 moves and passives, or that they have the option to swap to something. But any SIA is basically a priority move that your opponent has no idea about. On any turn of the game, your opponent may damage you, stun you, distract you, slow you down, put up a shield, etc.

At least most of these are non-damaging give you a turn afterwards to swap out yourself. In fact, I like the fact that most SIAs make swapping an actually viable option by protecting you - like you said, they do add a lot of variety to the game. But for damaging SIAs… the only universal counterplay is to just swap to something else any time you’re on low health. And like I just said, swapping without an SIA is an inherently bad option (letting your opponent get in a free attack), so you’re only going to swap if you have a dino with a SIA to swap to. This way, the prevalence of swapping only encourages more swapping, cementing the centrality of SIAs in the meta. It doesn’t help that some of the best anti-swap dinos are some of the best swappers themselves (like Phorurex). Or you get synergies between strong anti-swap dinos and swappers (like Testa with it’s bodyguards SR3 and CompC). It’s all swap and anti-swap. When the only option for dinos without swap in or on escape abilities is to just swap out into what’s likely a free hit whenever you get to low health, why should you even bother using these dinos? Hence why there needs to be better universal counterplay to swap in attackers.

4 Likes

@Sir_Swap_A_lot raises some fair points. It’s ok to disagree with them, but it’s better to actually describe why you disagree (as I did above) than to tell a person to just stop debating.

3 Likes

You’re being a tad presumptuous there. You have no idea what kind of strats I employ nor how much “thought” goes into my play, so let’s not stoop to ad-hominem attacks.

Countering swaps isn’t that hard, it just takes some getting used to.

Hey everyone, let’s please remember to keep things civil and respect each other even if you disagree!

2 Likes

It doesn’t take a lot of what? Thought? You’re way off the mark. I punish swapping in and out regularly, just need to invest in the proper creatures, etc.

There are several creatures that have either no-escape or on-escape moves, collectively. If swapping in and out is giving you such a hard time, then it would be a good idea to employ a creature(s) that can defend you from this mechanic.

Even if a swapper does finish your dino, you can aways revenge kill and get right back into the match since the swapper will be locked for at least a couple of turns. You just have to build a cohesive team.

Or if you can’t revenge kill the swapper, think 5 steps ahead and predict when it will come back. Opponents may get 1 surprise swap off (seen them try a last ditch effort to finish one of my creatures) but they usually won’t get a second and can be heavily punished if they try.

1 Like

Again, you have no idea how I play. Let’s not make unfounded assumptions.

Just another reminder to please keep things civil and on topic :sauropod:

2 Likes

Swap team!

But in all seriousness confuse your opponents by not using them as swappers. It’s fun.

5 Likes

Honestly just make more pure on escapers (like boa, indot etc) not only would that solve the problem of swappers it would also solve the problem of not enough on escapers

4 Likes

I’m not sure. For one, there’s already a pretty good balance between swappers and anti-swappers - the problem is that not all dinos are included in this group, so these dinos aren’t meta. Adding more on escape abilities does make individual dinos more relevant, but ONLY those dinos. The way the meta is now, everything would need either a swap in or on escape ability in order to be relevant. That, or we need more of a general change.

They’re fine as is. Nothing needs a nerf. Get better dinos and they’ll take you out less often.

1 Like

This isn’t really a question of whether swap in attackers are OP or not. On an individual level, some dinos arguably are, most aren’t. But systemically, the prevalence of SIAs has created a meta where only dinos with SIAs and their counters are relevant - nothing else has a place. While the overall meta is relatively balanced within itself, the pool of viable dinos is so much more limited than it probably should be based on the need to use and counter dinos with SIAs. I would say there needs to be a more general way for the average dino to counter swappers, so that any dino can remain relevant in a swap meta without needing to have a swap in or on escape move.

3 Likes

Honestly a lot of the most recent creatures have helped with loads of swapping sure phorex is also a swapper but can be used as a trapper and indot just enhaliates your Dino if you swap. I’ve had loads of times when I know my opponent wants to swap so I swap to phorex or indot and get those passives

1 Like

It doesn’t change the fact that the entire meta revolves around swapping (either using it or countering it). It’s great that swapping has more counters, but how does that help dinos without SIAs or on escape abilities? They aren’t any more relevant now than they were before. It just feeds the idea that you need to constantly be building the new dinos keep your team competitive. I guess it helps Ludia sell more boosts :man_shrugging:

3 Likes