Ludia Forums

Hybrid Theory

Hey guys! I’m doing a little writing series where I write short chapters for every hybrid in the Jurassic World franchise (mostly the games). I’m about three chapters in and I’m new to the forum, so I’ll post links (if I can) to each chapter as they come out. Let me know your thoughts!

Okay never mind, I can’t post links for some reason because they get flagged immediately. Woot. I’ll post the chapters here tomorrow when it’s not 1am

some music to write by:

Video not available. Not having much luck it seems.

i would have gone with One Step Closer, but julien gets the idea :joy:

Does anyone know if I can post links without them getting flagged and stuff? Is there a way to do that?

It is probably the auto-flag system. Once a mod looks at it I’m sure they’ll show up. Try again and just wait a while to see what happens.

I already went and deleted them as soon as they were flagged. I’ll just post each chapter here, assuming the word count can cover them lol

Chapter One: Majundasuchus

Ambushing

Species: Majundasuchus

Hybrid Genome: Majungasaurus base, Nundasuchus spliced in.

Size: 23 feet long, 7 feet tall, 2 tons.

Diet: Carnivore.

A low rumble echoed through the ground as the violet and black scaled animal kept her lower jaw flat on the forested floor. Today was hotter than normal and she wanted nothing more than to go to her creek and slip into the water waiting for her there, but her stomach demanded she eat.

Unfortunately, her human caretakers were on a schedule, so she would have to wait in the shade until they set the goat loose in her paddock. They were no more thrilled about the heat wave than she was, and one of them was kind enough to pull out a hose and spray cool water over the leaves where the dinosaur was hiding. She gave a sighing hiss of appreciation and knew her caretaker had heard her when the human laughed a bit from her high perch, where the predator could not reach her.

At least the water and shade made the heat slightly more bearable.

Finally, her taller caretaker put on a mic and started talking to the group of people hiding behind a viewing area cleverly disguised as a boulder. “Hey there everyone, glad you could make it to the Majundasuchus feeding show. My name’s Josh and I’ll be running things today. We’re gonna make this show fast because our pretty girl is feeling too hot and probably wants to go swimming. We’ll do some quick questions and let her go relax. Anyone want to start?”

Another employee working the show inside the viewing hide went to a boy who was likely in middle school and held a mic up to him. “What’s with the horn on her head?”

“It’s a mutated variation of the horn from her genetic ancestor, Majungasaurus,” he answered. “It’s normally blunter in Majungasaurs, but the scutes our girl here has sharpened it. It’s just ornamental though—she doesn’t use it for anything besides looking taller.”

Said Majundasuchus could hear everything that was being said, but she couldn’t have cared less in that moment. Her eyes were closed and her jaws opened to expel excess heat as the people in the viewing hide tried to get a better look at her. She was hiding in the foliage and they could only make out her head and some mottled body scales.

Another question was put to them by a decidedly more science-oriented young lady. “She has crocodile genes in her, right? Does she display any behaviors like crocodilians?”

“Technically, it’s Archosaur genes,” Josh corrected. “Nundasuchus DNA makes up part of her genome and they weren’t really crocodiles, but there are some similarities that she’s displaying for us now. She rests with her jaws open like that to get rid of excess body heat, like some modern reptiles today, and she’s also quite fond of water. That tail makes her a pretty good swimmer. But she’s also hunting right now—see how her jaw is flat on the ground? She can pick up vibrations when she does that. When she feels dinner walking close to her, she jumps it without even having to see it.”

Another child offered the next question. “Does she like fish?”

“Some of them,” Josh admitted. “But she’s not fond of bony fishes. She prefers smaller fish and she’s not that great at catching them, but she does surprise us now and then. We give them to her as treats sometimes.”

“Does she have a name?”

He smiled at the resting animal fondly. “We call her Lavender, or Lav for short. And I think that’s probably enough questions for now.”

He finished the Q&A when the Majundasuchus let out a deep, rumbling growl not unlike a crocodile’s to let them know she was getting irritated with the lack of action. She wanted her lunch.

Josh hit a button on his podium well above Lav’s reach and watched as her eyes flit open and her jaws snapped shut without a sound, awaiting the approach of her meal. An unsuspecting, black-furred goat wandered into the paddock and bleated a few times curiously, sniffing at the ground.

“Fair warning folks, she’s quick about this, but it might still scare some of the younger kids,” Josh told them. “She’s not as messy as Rexy, but it can be a shock.”

All eyes darted back and forth from the Majundasuchus and the unsuspected goat as it wandered innocently into the paddock. The animal paused to nibble at some grass, but Lav did not move. Not yet. She was a skilled, patient killer.

And a hungry one at that.

The goat had barely nosed at some ferns four feet from Lav’s body when she exploded with movement. Powerful jaws opened and snapped shut as she erupted from her hiding place, biting into the neck with a swift crunch that killed the animal with barely a sound. The goat didn’t even feel the bite before it’s brain registered bodily death.

Lav shook her prey twice for good measure before dropping the goat, then repositioning her jaws around the torso to carry it more easily. Her prize in her mouth, she let out a rumble and padded off to her creek to enjoy her dinner in peace.

Josh smirked as the crowd gasped and made a few disappointed sounds over the ambush that spanned barely three seconds before the hybrid was leaving. “She likes her quiet when she eats. Sorry for cutting the show so short, folks. She’ll have another feeding this evening at 7 when it’s cooler, so it should be longer. Thanks for coming to see our pretty girl her at Jurassic World!”

Lav ignored the sounds of her caretakers as she stalked through the undergrowth to bring her meal to the creek. It was too hot, and all she wanted now was to eat in peace and quiet.

And chew on some of the bones.

Very nice! Can we request Hybrids for you to write about?

I’m doing these in order like this: carnivore, herbivore, aquatic, pterosaur. I already have 3 chapters ready and I’m doing Alankykosaurus for the 4th chapter, so if y’all want you can start suggestions for the next carnivore I write about.

Could you do Tryostronix?

Some of my friends in my alliance already requested Suchotator for the next carnivore. Sorry, forgot to mention that. In which case, you guys can offer suggestions for the next herbivore. I’d like to do a poll or something similar to see if there’s a majority vote for a certain hybrid ideally.

Chapter Two: Stegoceratops

Bullheaded

Species: Stegoceratops
Hybrid Genome: Triceratops base, Stegosaurus spliced in.
Size: 37 feet long, 11 feet at the shoulder, 12 tons (bull). 32 feet long, 8 feet at the shoulder, 9 tons (cow).
Diet: Herbivore

Zach pursed his lips nervously as he watched the herd’s lead bull with wary eyes. Just a few minutes after he’d arrived in the Jeep with Dr. Gerry and Owen to give the Stegoceratops herd a visual checkup, the Alpha stopped in his place at the edge of the herd and stared at them, his enormous body going still. The behemoth of a dinosaur looked far, far too interested in them for Zach’s liking, and not in a good way.

Gerry didn’t like the attention they were getting from the Alpha, either. “Let’s do this quick. I’ll check the herd, you let me know if he starts pawing at the ground.”

“Will he charge us?” Owen asked warily from the passenger seat. The Stegoceratops bull was giving him the same, dead-eye stare Blue offered him when she wouldn’t take no for an answer. There were four, massive slash-scars across the enormous frill that only added to the beast’s intimidation factor.

“Yes.”

That did not make either of the younger men feel any better. Nor did the knowledge that this bull was known by his caretakers as “The Godfather.”

The Alpha’s straight horns were eight feet long, easy, and pointed at them like twin lances. Most of the herd of a dozen or so animals consisted of females and calves with shorter, curved horns, but the bull was one of the few males in the park and the gender difference really showed. He was almost fifty percent larger than the biggest female for sheer muscle mass and the plates on his back dwarfed any other Stegoceratops. All four thagomizers on his tail were four feet long and as thick around as a softball at the base.

Gerry was quick to do his scan, but the Alpha decided he’d had enough of them and flared his nostrils, letting out a deep bellow that was clearly a sign to get lost. The bright orange frill and plates bloomed blood red and Zach could have sworn he saw the bull’s eyes flare dangerously.

“Okay, good enough for now,” the old vet decided as he hit the gas and started to drive away. As they retreated, the bull reared up on his hind legs for an instant and roared, then charged them.

“He’s chasing us,” Owen told Gerry as calmly as he could. He’d had his fair share of dangerous situations with dinosaurs, but it was still disconcerting to have that horned titan, four times the size of their Jeep, rushing them with his horns ready to gore.

“I know,” Gerry checked his rear-view mirror for a moment before looking at the speedometer. “We’re fine. He peaks at thirty miles and hour and can’t keep the pace for long. Give it a moment.”

Sure enough, the bull gave up after about two hundred yards and roared after them, swinging his massive skull to the side to shatter a small palm tree like a toothpick. As if to express his displeasure even further, he swung his spiked tail into some nearby brush and practically ripped an entire bush out of the ground before flinging it sky high. He pawed at the dirt and snorted angrily until the Jeep was far enough away to satisfy him.

Zach whistled at the damage. “He’s not the friendliest dinosaur, is he?”

“El Padre could be worse,” Gerry scoffed. “I castrated him when he was a calf. He’s mellowed out since then.”

“That’s mellow?” Owen raised an eyebrow as he watched the bull walk back to his herd from a safe distance away.

“He doesn’t charge Gyrospheres anymore,” the vet replied. “He probably charged because he smelled your raptors, Owen. You gave him a reason to get pissed off at us.”

“You’re welcome,” the raptor trainer snarked, to which Gerry slapped his shoulder good-naturedly.

“We don’t piss the big guy off,” Gerry scolded him. “He’s probably the only reason the park is still here.”

“How’s that?” Zach asked with a frown.

“Remember six years ago when the Indominus Rex broke out?” Gerry glanced at them. Both of the men grimaced and nodded. “She made her way to the plains here to hunt the herds and met El Padre.”

“Wait, he killed the Indominus?”

“You bet your ass,” the vet slowed the Jeep to a stop and pulled out his binoculars to watch the huge bull retreat to his herd. “She didn’t know how to fight. It was all instinct. El Padre knew what he was doing—he jousts with our Triceratops and we have a specially padded tractor for him to beat on when he gets too riled up. The Indominus went to claw his frill and got a thagomizer through the ankle for her trouble. She went down and he beat her like a Cherokee drum. It wasn’t pretty. I felt sorry for her.”

“Me too,” Owen agreed. The I. Rex’s death would not have been a gentle one, but at least El Padre had stopped her rampage from causing more fatalities. There was some solace in that knowledge, even if the Indominus had been an accident waiting to happen.

Far from the Jeep, El Padre huffed as he lumbered back to his herd, satisfied that the stink of predators was far away from the little ones he protected. His mate greeted him with a snort and he grunted deeply, expressing his annoyance, to which she patiently trudged over and pushed him with her shoulder.

El Padre calmed from the contact, but he’d keep guard until the stench of carnivores was gone from the wind.

El Padre was stubborn like that.

This is great writing, I could picture the scene vividly and felt sorry for the goat… although it never knew what hit it!

Looking forward to more chapters.

Shaymin from the Alliance

:slightly_smiling_face:

What I really like about Chapter 2 is that I can really picture now just how big these dinos really were. I always thought a stegoceratops was about as big as a rhinoceros… but " four times the size of their jeep" made me realize how wrong I was!

P.S. I felt sorry for the I Rex!

Chapter Three: Sarcorixis

Crunch Time

Species: Sarcorixis
Hybrid Genome: Sarcosuchus base, Einiasaurus and Nundasuchus spliced in.
Size: 40 feet long, 9 tons.
Diet: Carnivore, Piscivore.

“Zach! Zach, over here!” Gray called to his brother, who was searching the stands for him. Zach locked onto him and made his way through the crowd to sit beside him, glancing around in mild annoyance.

“Geez, getting into these viewing shows takes forever,” the older brother complained. “And we work here.”

“Can you blame them? Irwin is almost as popular as the Mosasaur,” Gray smiled eagerly, turning to look at the enormous, deep green freshwater pool laid out before the stands. It wasn’t nearly as vast as the Mosasaurus lagoon, but it was still one of the largest bodies of water in the park.

Zach rolled his eyes. “I still can’t believe they named this guy after the Crocodile Hunter.”

“Is it so hard to believe?”

“Okay, it’s not hard to believe,” he admitted. “But still.”

Gray watched as the Sarcorixis handler emerged on a high platform twenty-five feet above the center of the pool. Even then, there was a steel rail all around him in case the hybrid crocodile got too excited. The man turned on a mic and when he spoke, the Australian accent had Zach smirking in disbelief.

“G’day, everyone! Thanks for coming to our Super Croc feeding show! I’m Bob, but you didn’t come here to see me, right? You came to see our beautiful boy,” Bob looked as eager as the crowd did to see his charge in action. “You’re all in for a treat. Irwin isn’t as shy as our Mosa, so I hope you all brought splash guards for your cameras and phones.”

“You didn’t forget yours, right?” Gray asked his brother.

Zach waved the guarded phone in front of his younger sibling. “Why do you think it took so long to get in here?”

Bob pulled out a metal pole and hit the steel rail with it three times in quick succession. The dinner bell, as it were.

Almost immediately, a huge crocodilian skull covered in sand and russet scales emerged from the deep lake. The head alone was six feet long, and a shielded crest on the back of its cranium made it look even larger. Small, dark eyes scanned its surroundings as the crowd gasped from the sight of it, but the behemoth croc couldn’t have cared less. He was here for the dinner he knew was waiting for him.

“Hey there, Irwin!” Bob called down to the Sarcorixis, who tilted his snout up so he was looking right at his handler. “You hungry, big boy?”

The hybrid opened and snapped his jaws shut with a deep clap, indicating his hunger. Bob bent down on his platform and came back up with a full-grown turkey, which, thankfully, was already dead. He held the small offering up over the railing and Irwin locked onto it. Bob spoke quickly. “Get your cameras ready folks, he hits like a bolt of lightning.”

He wasn’t kidding. Not two seconds after Bob got that out of his mouth, Irwin surged upward out of the water with a flick of his powerful tail. Zach’s eyes widened as he took in the massive body, not even fully exposed, but still as large as a truck. The huge jaws roared open as the hybrid got within a meter of Bob’s hand before the handler dropped the turkey into its mouth.

As soon as Irwin felt the snack touch his mouth, his mouth snapped shut, digging fangs a large and thick as railroad spikes into the bird. The titanic body leaned to the right and came down with a thunderous roar of water and a wave eight feet high. Irwin let out a deep, guttural growl that went right through the crowd and snapped his head from side to side, sending sprays of water in all directions as he ripped into the turkey.

Satisfied that the meal was dead, Irwin cocked his head fully out of the water and swallowed it whole, using gravity to make it slide more easily down his throat. But the croc wasn’t done eating and Bob knew it—that was a pocket snack for the hybrid and he came prepared for a show.

Irwin shook his massive skull one more time to work the turkey down before lowering back into the water and letting his whole body emerge at the surface. Now fully exposed, it was easy to get an idea of scale for the gigantic predator—he was as long as a bus and almost as broad. Thick, impenetrable scutes covered the top of his body, along with a frill of spines on either side of his back running all the way down to the tip of the tail. The tail itself composed almost half of the croc’s body, and it was immensely muscular.

Irwin drifted in a lazy circle to make his way back to the platform for more snacks. His tail was barely moving, but even then it held enough power to propel him through the water with ease. Bob whistled to get the predator’s attention once more and this time threw a large tuna that he could barely lift over the railing and into the lake.

The fish hit the water and Irwin lunged for it eagerly, sending another wave of water flying as that massive tail launched him forward with speed that such a large creature had no right to possess. He covered twenty feet in the span of two seconds, jaws snapping into his next treat and ripping through the scales.

“Like I said everyone,” Bob chuckled as he watched the croc eagerly devour his food. “Irwin isn’t a shy boy. He’ll take a bite out of anything if he thinks it might be tasty. When he was just a little freshie, he almost took my finger off! Didn’t you boy?”

Irwin leaned his head up as he swallowed the tuna to regard his handler, recognizing that the man was speaking to him. Bob grinned down to his charge. “Yeah, you were a little nipper, weren’t you? I’ve got more scars from when you were a little tucker than I earned in the military!”

Irwin swallowed the tuna and snapped his jaws again, demanding more food. He didn’t mind the idle chatter so long as he was fed. The croc knew that if he gave the right cues, he’d be given more food until he was satisfied. His handler pulled out a meat-covered cow bone and held it up for him.

The Sarcorixis eyed the morsel and lined his snout up, preparing to jump for his next treat. With a flick of that powerful tail, he surged into the air once more and caught the bone as it was thrown to him. Horrifically powerful jaws clamped down like a steel trap, shattering the cow femur with ridiculous ease. The sound of crunching bone and the taste of marrow in his mouth was satisfying, but after collecting the broken pieces floating on the surface of his lake, he circled back to the platform to demand more food from Bob.

He was still hungry.

Chapter Four: Alankylosaurus

Dragons

Species: Alankylosaurus

Hybrid Genome: Alanqa base, Ankylosaurus spliced in.

Size: 18 feet tall, 53 foot wingspan, 750 pounds.

Diet: Omnivore.

Alan Grant eyed the enormous Jurassic World Aviary with a wary gaze. The last time he’d been close to a building like this, well…that hadn’t gone so well.

This one was in better condition and he wasn’t being chased by a bastardized Spinosaurus, so he supposed that was an improvement on the Sorna bird cage.

A familiar face waited for him just on the inside of the building and the old man made a half-grin, half-grimace to his colleague and former student. “Billy.”

“Hey, doc,” Billy Brennan grinned back and shook his hand. “Been a while. Can’t believe you actually came.”

“Masrani was very…persuasive,” the old Paleontologist shrugged. “It seems like they’re doing a better job taking the animals seriously than Hammond’s people did. But on the off-chance everything goes to hell while I’m here, I’ve got a distress flare with me to send the T-Rex away.”

Billy laughed and gave his former mentor a playful smack on the shoulder. “Well come on, let me show you around. We’ll stay away from the nippy ones.”

“That’d be preferable.”

Fortunately, the Aviary had elevators to carry them up through the different levels, allowing Grant’s knees a bit of a respite as they watched the various Pterosaur species go about their business. It was an excellent environment Jurassic World had designed for them—the dome was built on a cliffside that gave the animals room to fly, roost, and hunt the various prey items that were set loose into their habitat. The species were divided based on their compatibility, as well; Pteranodons roosted with the smaller, but more aggressive Dimorphodons, who coexisted and fed on different types of fish.

Grant was feeling better about the whole thing the more he saw it—Masrani had added caution and wisdom to John’s old saying of “spare no expense”. He ensured the animals were given the proper care and respect, careful to give the creatures brought back from extinction everything they needed to thrive. It was no secret that Jurassic World spent ludicrous amounts of money and resources on their animals, but Grant could see it was all worth it.

This was everything John Hammond had dreamed of and everything Grant had wished to see from the old park, he thought to himself as he watched a Dsungaripterus skim across a large lake on the eastern side of the Aviary and swoop up with a small fish.

“What do you think?” Billy asked anxiously. He knew full well his mentor hadn’t wanted to be near prehistoric life after his last encounters with it, but Grant looked satisfied by everything he was seeing.

“It’s not bad,” was his answer, and Billy grinned upon hearing it. The gruff Paleontologist might as well have smiled from ear-to-ear.

Grant frowned then. “Why the Aviary, Billy?”

His former student knew what Grant was really asking—why Billy had chosen to work here of all places when he’d almost been killed by Pterosaurs on Isla Sorna years ago.

Billy only shrugged and grinned sheepishly. “I figured the best way to get over what happened was to work with the creatures that put me through that way back when.”

“Your sense of self-preservation is astonishingly lacking.”

Billy laughed uproariously and Grant just rolled his eyes.

“I want to show you something special,” Billy told him suddenly, leading him into an area deemed strictly for employees—of which Billy was one. “It’s a new attraction we haven’t unveiled to the public yet, but I’m in charge of him and I think you’ll like it.”

Grant gave him a wary look. “I’m not a big fan of surprises.”

“He’s big, but I think you’ll like him,” Billy promised. “He’s not nippy.”

He led the Paleontologist to a closed-off section of the Aviary near the base of the dome and to a door that led into the enclosure. Grant paused as Billy unlocked it. “Billy.”

“It’s okay doc, really,” Billy assured him. “He’s not carnivorous. He just likes attention.”

“What kind of attention?”

“The good kind,” he said, then pursed his lips. “If it makes you feel better, you can stay here by the door. He won’t view you as food or a threat, but you’ll be safe there if you decide you’re too close.”

Grant scowled. “You’re not giving this animal enough credit. Haven’t I warned you enough to be careful around these things? Don’t slack off now around one that’s gentle just to impress me.”

“It’s not that,” Billy shook his head sincerely, then opened the door. Grant warily stood in the doorway as his former student walked into the huge habitat and let out a sharp whistle.

The screech that replied was powerful enough to send a shiver through Grant, and then he saw it.

It was a giant, a titan, a leviathan of a pterosaur. The creature had seemingly just launched itself off the cliffside above them and extended violet-and-red wings that were longer than a bus, gliding in a lazy circle over a river to loop towards them. Grant thought for a second he was looking at a Quetzalcoatlus or perhaps Hatzygopterus, but quickly realized the Pterosaur was too big even for them.

The creature swooped towards them, body curving forward to land on short, muscular legs. It flapped its wings twice in quick succession to regain its balance, then folded the wings to walk on the clawed joints. The force of the wind it unleashed upon them had Grant gripping the door frame to avoid stumbling.

Even on the ground, it towered over them. Christ on his golden throne, it was as tall as a giraffe or even taller. The thick, yellow beak was seven feet and shaped like a lance, perfect for piercing. Small, but sharp golden eyes looked down on them as the creature bent that elongated neck to get a better look.

“Hey, Rodan,” Billy smiled, lifting a hand to touch the underside of the huge beak. “Sleep good?”

A deep sound between a screech and a chitter was the response as the animal leaned her head to the side slightly, helping Billy guide his hands to her favorite spots that were in most need of scratches.

The sarcastic response he had for the animal’s name was put on pause as Grant stared at the Pterosaur with a deep frown. He didn’t recognize this behemoth of any species. The size was too much unless it was a known Pterosaur the labs had scaled up, but then it lacked the ornamental crests of even the giant species he was familiar with. Moreover, the creatures shoulders bore thick scales that were almost like scutes, and the muscles and bones were obviously stronger than any Pterosaur he’d ever seen.

“He’s a hybrid,” Billy said, confirming his mentor’s growing suspicions. “Alankylosaurus. Alanqa base, but they bumped up his size to handle the extra weight from the Ankylosaur traits.”

“They gave him armored scales?” Grant’s frown grew deeper somehow. “For what purpose?”

“Wu said he was a theoretical species based on Hatzegopterus,” Billy told him. “It’s mostly accepted it spent a lot of time on the ground, right? Hunting pygmy dinosaurs on those tiny islands. Well, his theory is that if Hatzygopterus ever grew to be more terrestrial, its body would have had to be better suited to defending itself from land-based predators.”

“Why not make the base Hatzygopterus, then?”

Billy shrugged, but smiled as the hybrid bent lower still, twisting its head to let him scratch the scales just below his eye. “Compatibility issues, I think. He didn’t tell me much. But the idea is he’s a mostly-terrestrial Pterosaur that’s evolving towards an herbivorous lifestyle.”

Grant’s eyebrows shot up. “He’s an herbivore?”

“Omnivore, but he only likes to eat small fish and lizards,” Billy assured him. “He prefers plant matter and fruits. He loves grapefruits, actually.”

The Paleontologist chewed on his lip as he studied the behemoth Pterosaur. That wasn’t entirely impossible theoretically—for a giant species like this to evolve into a more terrestrial animal to take advantage of a new food source. His giant size would have allowed him to feed on plant matter in one area before gliding off to a different one. His flight was no doubt restricted based on the weather—no animal this size would be using powered flight very much, but the potential was there. At least it wasn’t a mad scientist’s creation that could breathe fire or something.

Speaking of which…

“He looks like a dragon.”

Billy laughed uproariously at his mentor’s dry comment. Rodan gave a shriek and eyed the Paleontologist with a dirty look for distracting his caretaker.

Grant decided to stay in the doorway, especially when Billy tossed the hybrid a large coconut and watched Rodan crush the tough shell with that powerful beak. Gentle giant or not, he had a better sense of self-preservation than his wayward student.

Are you still writing these short stories?

Most epic story