Ludia Forums

Iguanodon is not a hadrosaur species

An open letter to the devs:

Guys, while I like the direction the game is heading in regards to introducing new dinosaurs to the game, my rampant OCD is throwing a fit where your description of Edmontoguanodon is concerned.

In the description, you say it’s a combination of two different hadrosaur species, which is not the case. While Edmontosaurus was a hadrosaur, Iguanodon most certainly wasn’t. I won’t go into all the reasons why, except for two - while the Iguanodontids (Iguanodon and Tenontosaurus in game) were Ornithischian dinosaurs, similar in a few physical aspects to hadrosaurs, no hadrosaur ever possessed a defensive thumb spike. That was purely an adaptation of the Iguanodontids.

They also both lived in areas that were climatologically separate. Hadrosaurs have typically been found in locations that border what was once the coastal lowlands of the Western Inland Sea, while Iguanodon and his kind seemed to favor cooler, dryer temperate zones in general (there were a couple of iguanodontids that I can think of which lived in other climate zones, but by and large they weren’t as widespread as the hadrosaurs).

Hope this clarifies things a bit, and the error can be changed. I didn’t want to just jump in and have you guys thinking that I was spouting this data with nothing to back it up.

15 Likes

Oof.
I really don’t play jwa as much anymore. I play more of.
K il leave =/

I think you’re right when it becomes to iguanodon, in games like JWA and even JW:TG they confuse iguanodon as a hadrosaur, and there are other creatures that didn’t form part of the hadrosaur species like zalmoxes or rhabadon

AND NOT TO FORGET THAT IT HAD A SPIKE LIKE THUMB, hadrosaurs don’t even have that

Hey Dalek62771, that is some really fascinating information! I tried to do a little bit of research on my own and to my understanding Hadrosaurs was a name given to a group of duck-billed herbivore dinos. Would Iguanodon not fall under that category, what would it fall under if that is the case? I’m not a dinosaur expert, so I would love to hear more of your thoughts on this.

7 Likes

Just because an animal shares similar physical traits to another (body stance, dentition, beak) is no reason to automatically just lump it in with a family it isn’t even related to.

Mistakes are easy to make, especially with a mobile game. But since you’re putting us into the JP/JW universe here, could you please do your research? Maybe consult with Phil Currie or Robert Bakker or Paul Sereno (if they’re available)? The films always had Jack Horner on as a consultant, because Spielberg wanted as accurate a description of the creatures as possible.

How can we immerse ourselves in the game world when the scientists creating these dinosaurs don’t even know anything basic about them? That doesn’t seem too plausible to me.

3 Likes

Iguanodontids were their own family. They were contemporaries of the hadrosaurs, going from the Jurassic all the way into the Cretaceous.

The biggest physical differences between the two groups are body size (Iguanodontids were often much smaller and narrower in build than hadrosaurs), the narrow, almost horse-like skull of iguanodontids, and the thumb spike. While both possessed a sharp beak used to clip branches, it’s currently thought that the hadrosaurs had more of a ‘lip’ over theirs, while Iguanodon and his family had more exposed, parrot-like beaks.

Living in different climate zones from most hadrosaurs meant that there was little direct competition for food - enough to go around.

And while some hadrosaurs had ornate crests, no known Iguanodon relative ever had one.

Some different Iguanodontids (for reference):

Tenontosaurus

Camptosaurus

Muttaburrasaurus

Mantellisaurus

All shared the same basic narrow build and defensive thumb spike (Camptosaurus seemed to have a smaller one, but it hung out with Stego herds, so it probably didn’t need much of a spike).

6 Likes

Wait, Camptosaurus was an iguanodintid? I thought it was part of the dryosaurus family​:thinking:… Oh wait :neutral_face:

Hadrosaur forelimb

hadro_manus

Compared to the forelimb of Iguanodon

iguanodon_manus
And to answer your question about Camptosaurus Dispar, @Slogokok34… It’s somewhere in between the dryosaurs and the Iguanodontids. Possibly a “missing link”, if you will. Or maybe the dryosaurs were an offshoot that never went very far.

4 Likes

Be that as it may, I still believe that there was enough of a thumb spike on Camptosaurus to call it an Iguanodon relative.

It’s related to hadrosaurs

Internet rule #468,546:

Never trust the “crowd-sourced” answer. Wikipedia is notorious for being wrong quite often.

Corollary to said rule:

Always check your references thoroughly before posting info. If it seems too good to be true - it probably is.

4 Likes

Why do people like you always try to prove they’re right? Instead of being rude to the devs who work really hard, you decide to insult them by pointing out the smallest mistakes. It’s absolutely irrelevant, nobody’s going to die because they called Iguanodon a hadrosaur

2 Likes

Okay. Let me answer that in as simple a fashion as possible, since you’re probably thinking I flagged your post just to prove myself right…

It’s my post. Not yours. If you have some viable, conclusive evidence other than a very easily edited crowd-sourced website, then feel free to post away. But don’t come in here accusing me of bashing the devs for a simple error they made. I was pointing it out, Ned asked for more info, and I obliged.

Now… Let’s talk about your attitude. What got you flagged was how quickly you decided to get aggro and arrogant, posting a Google search screenshot as if it were holy writ. I hate to tell you, but it’s just a screenshot of the first thing that always pops up in any search… Wikipedia.

So good luck derailing someone else’s thread.

And next time, actually take the time to do your research yourself instead of taking the easy way out and throwing Wikipedia articles in peoples’ faces. Not cool.

5 Likes

Sooo, is basically this

1 Like

LOL I sometimes wonder how long people like that would actually last out in the field… I’m all for people having their own theories, but as soon as they make a Wikipedia reference, I shut off the part of my brain that listens to them.

I’ve been an amateur paleontologist since I was little, somewhere around 40 years of experience under my belt, so what do I know? LOL.

3 Likes

Sort of, except for the fact that the thumb spike didn’t curve. It was a cone.

Yeah I know, this is what happens when you draw with a 5B pencil

1 Like

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:, don’t!

1 Like

Yeah, I absolutely hate soft lead for sketching.