Just Nerf Monolometrodon!

I don’t care how many times this has been said before, but just nerf this thing. I’m calling for a nerf after using it on my team for a very long time, not just because I lost to it once. Sure it has it’s counters but most of them are high level. How many people have a Tenontorex or Erlikospyx in Lockdown? The three main ways to counter thing beast in the lower arenas are to throw your team at it till it dies, use your own monolometrodon, or use a phorusaura. Option 1 is kinda dumb, and that’s just wasting your creatures. Option 2 is adding to the problem even more. And option 3 is now a mindgame of weather you predict the Monolometrodon’s nullifying strike. Monolometrodon is barely below Magna in terms of stats and moves, but having something basically on par with a top notch unique in badlands is not balance. Especially since Monolometrodon is made from two commons. This is one of the first legendaries to start appearing, but is still one of the strongest. Understandably, ease of acquiring should not be taken into account when balancing creatures, but even then Monolometrodon is far above others in it’s league.

Should Monolometrodon be nerfed?
  • No. Absolutely not
  • Yes! Obviously
  • It needs some changes

0 voters

1 Like

It needs counters within it’s rarity, but a slight nerf wouldn’t hurt either. There should be a clear reason why magna is better.

19 Likes

Considering that it’s better than the other legendaries made out of epics or rares… yes. It needs to be in line with its own rarity, and if creation difficulty dictates power then this should be the indoraptor of legendaries, along with dracoceratops.

4 Likes

It just isn’t countered hard by anything. Can’t be slowed. Shields and dodge don’t work against it. And it can only be distracted 50%. So the only thing that can counter it is a faster cunning, but even then it can’t fully counter it.

5 Likes

Velociraptor beats it, but who uses a raptor against legends? It is still counter by Pho too. And smiloceph.

1 Like

I personally feel like availability shouldn’t matter, but you are absolutely right that Monolometerodon stands above its rarity regardless of this. And besides, according to Luida, obtainability does matter, so let’s hope they actually follow their own guidelines here…

4 Likes

You know how faulty that logic is when it’s Ludia lol? Spinoconstrictor is useless and Monolometrodon appears on way too many top teams.

4 Likes

Let’s just look at how Magna is balanced in it’s rarity.

Mags is designed to be a fast tank buster that can also beat chompers. It’s counter by the cunnings that are faster than it, like erlidom, spyx, and most notably orion. It beats the tanks like tryko, dio, and some chompers like thor. These ae just a few matchups off the top of my head.

The legendary meta doesn’t have a lot of creatures faster than mono, and most are trash now. So I’d say either A) nerf mono’s health so that it can be brought down or B) introduce a bunch of cunnings that can beat it, as only Poukadei and Phorus are reliable counters.

7 Likes

And smiloceph. You keep forgetting Smiloceph. Is an ugly cat really that forgettable lol?

4 Likes

Don’t forget that it has 100% DoT resistance and 75% Rend resistance, making Thyla and Carnotarkus fairly useless against it.

I ended up dropping 'tarkus from my team based on the abundance of Monolometrodons found in the Library an Depot.

3 Likes

It’s too easy to get.
When I needed a replacement for a nerfed unique, it took me zero effort to level it to 30.
I think the availability of the ingredients should be nerfed mostly, and maybe remove some of the immunities or something.

1 Like

This is what I would target, since it doesn’t have any significant weaknesses now. Even it’s weakness to distraction is resisted. Since it’s half cunning, I might actually give it 75% deceleration resistance so that it can be slowed. It would still have 109 speed after being slowed, which sounds perfect to me.

4 Likes

It’s a mind game with pho and poukaidie
@SonicNTGD yes that ugly cat is so forgettable lol, the only reason people create it is for it’s hybrid

Agreed, it just has too many immunities and good moves. It hits like a truck, tanks like a… tank, and is stupidly fast for something with a dsr

2 Likes

I’d also like to give nullifying strike a one turn cooldown. The purpose of this is to prevent it from being able to nullify every turn, which is actually quite threatening. You’re less likely to try to dodge or cloak if you know it can always be removed. Having proposed this before and heard the common response that “it’s a basic attack”, so it shouldn’t have a cooldown, hear me out. Only Monolometerodon has this move now, and it already has another “basic attack”. So this change would ONLY affect Monolometerodon. The other nullifying attacks (nullifying impact and rampage) were recently nerfed to have longer cooldowns, so it makes sense that nullifying strike should get one too. Its clear that Ludia doesn’t want nullifying moves to be used constantly. Now, nullifying counter can be “used” every turn, but it doesn’t do damage. After this nerf, the nullifying attacks would logically progress in power/cost.

Nullifying Counter: No damage, No Cooldown, No delay
Nullifying Strike: 1x damage, 1 turn cooldown, no delay
Nullifying Impact: 1.5x damage, 2 turn cooldown, no delay
Nullifying Rampage: 2x damage, 2 turn cooldown, 1 turn delay.

3 Likes

Wow, only monolomet has nullifying strike? You were right about moves going extinct. I agree with the change. That would put it more in line and allow pho and poukaidie to counter it far more efficiently

2 Likes

And something like this?

1 Like

Monolemetrodon is fine as it is

4 Likes

Blended in with uniques, maybe, but you can’t say something is balanced just because it is balanced among uniques when it isn’t one because that won’t apply to skill tourneys with just one rarity.

2 Likes

Pho wins no matter what. Poukaidei is a mindgame and luck