I’ve seen a few comments about making challenges more… challenging. I’m on board with this. This obviously needs to be balanced with lower level players/characters still having an opportunity to farm a challenge, build their strength and level their characters. I also like the idea of increased risk leads to increased reward.
With these principles in mind, I’d propose the following changes to the bosses AI:
Firstly - do not alter any room 3 boss. Also suggest we don’t change any of the first 3 dungeons full stop. This keeps things fairer for those still levelling up to 10.
Room 6 bosses change as follows:
* Dragon - When deciding which action to take, the dragon should analyse each of its potential attack patterns and pick the one which affects the most number of enemy heroes, i.e. it should do damage every turn, ideally to 2+ heroes
* Mind flayer - use dominate in round 1 or 2 instead of round 3, and modify the ‘swap’’ behaviour to consider characters with a default attack being melee vs ranged, i.e. don’t swap a melee character for a melee character.
* Fiend - interleave more direct attacks in earlier rounds based upon health/positioning of heroes (similar to dragon - be opportunistic if there’s a chance to deal damage to 2+ heroes)
Room 9 bosses have all the rules of room 6 AND one/more of the following:
* Potentially introduce 1-2x random room 8 creatures to be on the battlefield at the start (I realise this makes the dragon AI more complex - needs to hit heroes without hitting its allies)
* Initiative order to be first always
* Enhanced prioritisation of killing key characters, e.g. remove the cleric if there is one, look for any character who are equipped and able to one-shot at range (e.g. wizard+disintegrate), or even look at who did the most damage to the room 6 boss
On the reward side of things, if a player kills the room 9 boss,I’d suggest randomly assigning a 1x or 2x or 3x multiplier to the reward, and maybe a 1x vs 2x multiplier if they kill the room 6 boss.
I think there are a lot of smart people in these forums that can probably suggest even better ideas to improve the bosses AI and create more fun/challenge there - so please feel free to critique/add as you see fit!