Ludia Forums

Merry Christmas to all! (An article)

Watching the tiny Geminid meteorites fall last night, I had the sudden realization that I was having an “Arthur Dent moment”, and that we’re all Hitchhiking through the galaxy.

No matter where you are, or what color your skin, or even what flavor of religion you subscribe to, we’re all still one race - Humanity - riding along this fixed orbit around a main-sequence star, careening through space on a tiny lump of rock that’s so fragile we barely even manage to make it a home. If we don’t stop killing each other for stupid (and petty) reasons, and if we continue to scuttle our starship’s life support systems we’re pretty much up the creek - because unlike the fictional Arthur Dent, we won’t be rescued by a passing starship. (for more information, consult Fermi’s Paradox, or the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)

We’re given the role of custodians in life, and we all share the responsibility of keeping our Starship Earth up and running. So far, it seems that we’ve got a long way to go before our leaders get that idea into their collective thick skulls. And we need to stop the hate, stop the fear. Now more than ever, we need to come together as a species and refuse as one to continue destroying ourselves and our only home. As it’s getting ever closer to Christmas, I started thinking about how if our fates are of our own design, then why can’t we redesign the way our society sees certain holidays?

Christmas isn’t just a “christians only” holiday. Anyone can celebrate it. It’s not just a celebration of religious faith, it’s also a celebration of faith in HUMANITY, in that it escapes the bonds of religious exclusivity and becomes instantly accessible to EVERYONE. This is the true meaning of Christmas - Peace on Earth, and Goodwill to ALL Mankind, instead of to a certain selected few that share the same belief structure.

Anyone can make the choice to take a stand against hate and fear on that day. The real trick lies in getting everyone to celebrate their humanity the other 364 days.

So this Christmas, reach out to your fellow humans, regardless of skin color or their religion, regardless of where they live on the planet. Get to know them. I’m pretty sure that they’re not too different from you, cultural differences aside. Of course, I offer this as a suggestion, as there are literally countless ways to make change, and it’s up to all of us - we really don’t have much time left to turn things around.

And so, Merry Christmas to everyone! We all have the power to create positive change in our global society. The only question is this: will you use your power for world betterment?

5 Likes

Before Christianity several people were celebrating winter solstice. Known to some Europeans as Yuletide. The shortest day of the year passes with December 21st. Merrier times are about to come!

3 Likes

We’re halfway out of the dark.

Merry Christmas. Happy Hanukkah. Blessed Yule. Happy holidays!

Whatever you celebrate, do so with warmth, love and style. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautifully written, Dalek! It’s always nice to have a reminder of what the season is really about, love for all mankind. Thank you😊

1 Like

You’re welcome, Disco.

1 Like

One word of holiday advice: if you’re the type of person that spends insane money on musically coordinated light displays every year, choose an actual cool song, not an earworm like this…

Those folks’ neighbors have probably been driven mad by now…

:joy::joy:

Now this is how it’s done…

3 Likes

Ohhh Dalek can we be friends now? :hugs:

1 Like

You do have such a way with words!!!

I’m a writer. It’s what I do. Holiday truce, then.

Writer, actor and paleontologist? How do you have time for us, the forum and the game? You must be so busy with that crazy lifestyle you live.

All of them are hobbies. Just like JWA. I spend most of my time working at a 9-5 job, and the rest of the time I have different ways to relieve the monotony. This is just one of them.

Wow that’s amazing you’re really something! Did I not see you post a photo with a giant fish once too? Add fishing to the list

9-5 working in a restaurant? Wow how did you swing that. When I was 16 as a waitress. I had to work days nights weekends holidays you name it.

I’m lucky to have caught that 12-lb. Paddlefish. I was using a longbow with special reel attachment and 3-foot arrows to fish by a dam when I shot it when it came up off the bottom.

I work the back kitchen. Some days I pull double duty as kitchen prep and dish pit. Most days it’s just dish pit.

Omg not the dish pit!!! :tired_face::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

What the hell is dish pit? :joy: also show us the fish :fishing_pole_and_fish: !!

Dish pit: (noun) a special level of hell where it’s nought but standing at a machine all day, sending dirty dishes through to be cleaned.