Ludia Forums

[News] Jurassic World Alive | Sanctuaries

Hello fellow DPG members,

The following is an in-depth look at the new Sanctuary game feature in Update 1.8!

Sanctuaries

The DPG has built dinosaur Sanctuaries all over the world to help DPG members protect and care for their creatures. Place your creatures in these Sanctuaries to feed, play, and interact with them, then collect their DNA. Work together with other players to improve your Sanctuaries, care for each other’s creatures, and get more rewards!

This page contains answers to a lot of questions you might have about this new feature, as well as some tips to maximize your gameplay!

Basic Overview:

• Sanctuaries unlock when you reach Player Level 3.
  • Place creatures in Sanctuaries all over the world.
  • Collect Food and Toys in Supply Drops and Interaction items in the Free Incubator in the Market.
  • Use these Care items on your or other players’ creatures in Sanctuaries. Remember, each creature has different tastes and preferences, and will give different reward amounts based on what it wants!
  • You receive DNA rewards when you care for creatures. You also receive Sanctuary Points to Level up the Sanctuary.
  • Leveling up a Sanctuary means you get more slots to place more creatures inside, and more DNA every time you care for a creature!
  • In Caring View, you can press and hold on each Care button to preview if the creature will like this interaction and how much DNA you will get!
  • Work together with other visitors of the Sanctuary, and with your Alliance members to improve your Sanctuaries as much as possible.
  • Creatures stay in Sanctuaries for 48 hours. When they come back, they reward you a little extra DNA.
  • Each Sanctuary resets 2 weeks after it was first activated. Sanctuaries activate when the first creature is placed in them. At reset, all creatures are returned to their owners, the Sanctuary returns to level 0 and additional creature slots return to their locked state. Start placing creatures and caring again to gain them back!
  • Note: Each player can have a maximum of 4 of their creatures in Sanctuaries at one time. You can choose to spread these 4 creatures out across as many as 4 Sanctuaries, or place them all in 1!

HOW DO I PLACE A CREATURE?
  1. Go to the Map. Tap on any Sanctuary that is within your Radar’s range (150 meters or 200 meters for VIP members) to enter it.
  2. Tap on an empty slot in the Sanctuary.
  3. Select a creature you want to place and tap the ‘Place’ button. Creatures from your Collection that are not eligible for the Sanctuary will be greyed out.
  4. After confirming the placement, your creature will appear in the Sanctuary within a few seconds. You can then tap the creature portrait to enter Caring view and start caring for it.

WHY CAN'T I PLACE CERTAIN CREATURES?

There are certain restrictions that can prevent you from placing a creature in a Sanctuary. The following creatures cannot be placed:

• Creatures that are on your Strike Team.
  • Hybrid creatures.
  • Creatures that you already placed in another Sanctuary (creatures can’t be in two places at once!).
  • Creatures that are too dangerous for your current Player Level, as shown on their creature portrait.
  • Flying creatures.*
  • Cenozoïc creatures.*

*Note: we will be working on Sanctuaries so they can welcome flying and cenozoic creatures in the future.

Because you cannot place creatures from your Strike Team, you will need to have a minimum of 9 creatures created in your collection in order to place 1 in a Sanctuary.

OTHER CREATURES THAT I DIDN'T PLACE HAVE APPEARED IN MY SANCTUARY. WHERE DO THEY COME FROM?

Sanctuaries are public buildings. Anyone who walks around can place a creature within them and care for any creature inside. In Sanctuaries, you can also care for other players’ creatures as if they were your own, and collect their DNA!

Even though you can care for any creature in the Sanctuary, each creature still has an owner. You can see the name of the owner of each creature in Caring view. Once inside the Enclosure, tap a creature portrait to enter Caring view. The name of the owner is displayed briefly at the top. When the creature’s time in the Sanctuary is up, it will return to its owner. Be sure to care for other players’ creatures while you can to collect the DNA rewards you want!

Caring for creatures doesn’t just award you DNA. It also awards Sanctuary points. Collect enough points as a group to level up the Sanctuary and increase your rewards as much as possible before the Sanctuary resets and you have to start again.

WHY ARE CERTAIN CREATURES TOO DANGEROUS FOR ME TO CARE FOR THEM?

All prehistoric creatures behave differently, and therefore each species has a different level of danger. You must become a better trainer by reaching higher Player Levels in order to care for more dangerous creatures.

If a creature is too dangerous for you, there will be an icon on their portrait in the Enclosure view and the placement pop-up. You will not be able to place this creature or spend care items on it until you reach a Player Level the DPG deems ready.

Most creatures of each rarity share similar danger levels, but there are exceptions. Some creatures, such as the T. rex, are just very aggressive by nature, and take more experienced players to care for them.

WHAT ARE ENCLOSURES?

Enclosures are areas within the Sanctuary where you can place creatures. As soon as you enter the Sanctuary, you are in one of the Enclosures.

Each sanctuary is composed of 3 Enclosures. Each enclosure can hold up to 8 creatures. You can navigate between Enclosures by using the arrow buttons in the Enclosure view.

HOW DO I GET MORE SPACE IN MY SANCTUARY TO PLACE MORE CREATURES?

Sanctuaries start with 4 unlocked slots, meaning a maximum of 4 creatures can be placed. As the Sanctuary levels up, more slots become available.

On each locked slot, you can see the Sanctuary level required to unlock it. You generally unlock 1 additional slot every time the Sanctuary levels up.

WHERE CAN I SEE THE SANCTUARY LEVEL?

The Sanctuary level is displayed at multiple places:

• In the top left corner of Enclosure view (where you see the list of creatures in the Sanctuary).
  • In the top left corner of Caring view (where you can feed/play/interact with one creature at a time).
  • On the Map:
    • On the Sanctuary itself, the level is displayed on the tip of the column of the Sanctuary building.
    • When the Sanctuary is in close up view, the level is displayed in the top left corner.

HOW DO I CARE (FEED, PLAY, INTERACT) FOR MY CREATURES IN SANCTUARIES?

Caring for creatures is the main activity in Sanctuaries.

When you enter a Sanctuary, you are immediately within the Enclosure view. If you’re inside an active Sanctuary (a Sanctuary with at least one creature inside), you can tap on creature portraits in the bottom list.

Tapping the portrait brings you to the Caring view, where you are one-on-one with the creature. Here you will see 3 Caring buttons that represent the three Care actions you can take: Feed, Play, and Interact.

To do these actions, you will need to have at least 1 of the required items: Food for feeding, Toys for playing, etc.

HOW DO I COLLECT FOOD, TOYS, AND INTERACTIONS TO CARE FOR MY CREATURES?

Food and Toys can be found in Supply Drops. You can collect up to 4 of each per day!

Interaction items can be found in the Free Incubator in the Market. You can get 2 in each Incubator, which can be collected every 6 hours.

Be on the lookout for special events that will allow you to collect more!

Your inventory can hold up to 12 Food, 12 Toys, and 16Interaction items.

HOW LONG UNTIL MY CREATURE RETURNS?

Creatures will return to your Collection 48 hours after they’ve been placed in a Sanctuary. You must collect them in your Collection screen before you can place them in a Sanctuary again or use them on your Strike Team.

When creatures return, they come with a little DNA gift too! You collect this DNA at the same time as you collect your creatures, in the Collection screen.

Creatures can return earlier if the Sanctuary resets (see below). When that happens, the DNA gift they bring with them is scaled proportionally to the time they spent in the Sanctuary.

HOW LONG BEFORE A SANCTUARY RESETS? WHAT HAPPENS WHEN IT RESETS?

Sanctuaries reset 14 days after they are activated. Sanctuaries are active as soon as the first creature since the last reset is placed in them. This means that every Sanctuary on the Map can have a different amount of time left before they reset!

When the reset happens, the Sanctuary returns to Level 0 and all creatures within are returned to their owners. All unlocked Slots also return to their locked state; only the first 4 remain unlocked.

HOW DO I CARE FOR ANOTHER PLAYER'S CREATURE?

You can care for other players’ creatures in the same way you care for your own. You receive the same amount of DNA and Sanctuary Points you would when caring for your own creature.

Caring for other players’ creatures in Sanctuaries is a great way to collect DNA from a creature you’re missing. You can also ask members of your Alliance to place the creature you need in a Sanctuary you have access to. This is a nice way to get the specific DNA you need.

HOW DO I SHARE A SANCTUARY WITH MY ALLIANCE?

You can share Sanctuaries with your Alliance so that they can visit your creatures, place their own, and help you level up your Sanctuary so you can all earn higher rewards.

To share a Sanctuary, you must be visiting it “locally,” which means via the Map, or through your Alliance shared list. In either case, placing any creature in the Sanctuary will share it to your Alliance automatically.

Note that there’s a limit of 100 shared Sanctuaries per Alliance. Past that number, Sanctuaries won’t be shared. Sanctuary shares expire after 24 hours in the list, but adding a creature to the Sanctuary will refresh the 24h timer. If your shared Sanctuaries list is full, just wait until one of the Sanctuaries expires, and you will be able to share again.

HOW LONG ARE SANCTUARIES SHARED WITH MY ALLIANCE?

Sanctuaries are shared for a 24 hour period. During that time, if you or another member of your Alliance places another creature, the Sanctuary is “re-shared,” which resets its time in the share list back to 24 hours. This time reset only applies if the sharing player is local to the Sanctuary (see the previous question).

A SANCTUARY WHERE I PLACED A CREATURE HAS DISAPPEARED FROM THE MAP. WHAT DO I DO?

Although quite rare, it is possible that a Sanctuary disappears from the Map. This can happen when the real-world data gets updated or if a Sanctuary was in a dangerous location that had to be removed.

You can still access that Sanctuary temporarily through the character sheets or through your Alliance list of Shared Sanctuaries, as explained below:

Through Collection

1. Open your Collection
  2. Find a creature that was in the Sanctuary

Through Alliance

1. Open your Alliance screen.
  2. Tap the Shared Sanctuary button.
  3. Find the Sanctuary in the list and Enter it. (Note: This will only work if the sanctuary was recently shared)

HOW CAN I LEVEL UP MY SANCTUARY FASTER? WHY DO SOME CREATURES GIVE MORE SANCTUARY POINTS?

The number of Sanctuary points received when caring for a creature depends on a number of factors:

• The rarity of the creature (higher rarity → more points!)
  • The level of the creature (higher level → more points!)
  • Stat Boosts on the creature also count, to a lesser extent

You can always preview the number of Sanctuary points you will receive by pressing and holding the care buttons. Experiment with different creatures to see which give the most sanctuary points!

So, a good strategy to level up your Sanctuary faster would be to use rarer and high-level creatures!

HOW CAN I GET MORE DNA FROM CREATURES IN THE SANCTUARY

The DNA amount you receive when you care for a creature depends on a number of factors:

• The preference of the creature
    • Some creatures prefer eating, some prefer playing, some prefer being interacted with. Experiment to discover their preference!
  • The rarity of the creature: Common creatures give more DNA than rare creatures. Rare creatures give more DNA than Epic creatures.
  • The needs of the creature
    • For example, a hungry creature will give more DNA than if you already fed it recently. (See next question for more details)

Use the preview tooltip (pressing and holding the care button) to see how much DNA you will get, and try different combinations!

WHAT ARE A CREATURE'S NEEDS? WHY DO I GET LESS DNA IF I CARE MULTIPLE TIMES FOR THE SAME CREATURE?

Creatures have varying degrees of needs for each of the care actions you provide. The amount of DNA you receive depends on how much the creature is craving what you provide.

For example, a hungry creature will provide a lot of DNA the first time you feed it but will provide less DNA the second time in a row that you feed it. On the 3rd and subsequent attempt, you will receive a minimal amount of DNA.

The needs of creatures fully reset 3 hours after the first care you provided. This means that if you wait for 3 hours, the creature will give the highest amount of DNA it can for that specific type of Care action.

Note that you can always preview the amount of DNA you will receive by pressing and holding on each care button.

WHAT ARE THE BEST STRATEGIES TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF SANCTUARIES?

Here are some tips, coming directly from the design team:

• Use all your Care items
    • Make sure you collect as many Care items as you can every day, and use them daily.
  • Use the preview tooltip often!
    • Press and hold Care buttons to see a preview of your rewards. Use it to check which combination of care and creature will give the most DNA or Sanctuary Points!
  • Level up your Sanctuaries as much as possible
    • Use powerful creatures (high level and high rarity) to gain more Sanctuary Points and level up faster!
  • Join an Alliance!
    • This is probably the best tip we can give! An Alliance allows you to cooperate to level up your Sanctuaries as much as possible before they reset.
  • Ask your allies to place the creatures you need in Sanctuaries you can access.
    • This is a great way to get specific DNA of creatures you can’t find otherwise.
  • Check with other players
    • Maybe they have another great strategy that we didn’t even think about!

35 Likes

Really pumped for this feature!

Been so busy working on guides for the rest of the stuff. Time to start writing up this as well! :smiley:

9 Likes

image https://preview.redd.it/3ah6k9okldoy.jpg?width=608&auto=webp&s=0e9cd4907b270f26d458649c744068b879709ead

6 Likes

For clarification. Once you share with your alliance can they place a creature to that sanctuary regardless of location? Example if I live in USA and share can an alliance member in Europe or Australia place a creature in the same sanctuary? Or… Are they only able to nurture?

2 Likes

I am definitely excited and interested!

@MNBrian, this will be fun and draw loads of attention to the new web site!

3 Likes

yes. Once you share, for a limited time it will be shown to the whole alliance. I believe 24 hours.

2 Likes

Too… much… info…

6 Likes

Well, Secondonto will be going in there a lot.
I am So hyped for Ardentismaxima

3 Likes

This is going to be AWESOME. Battling I can take or leave, but caretaking? I love this.
If there’s one near my house, can I plant flowers around it?

2 Likes

Whhhy :’( most of the new hybrids this patch involves flying creatures and you do this.

1 Like

Also, will there ever be a way to talk to people who are not in my alliance? If some neighbor puts a critter in a local Sanctuary, I’d love to be able to communicate with them. Maybe some kind of message board at the Sanctuary?

8 Likes

So I put a creature in the sanctuary. Then I dart the same type of creature while hunting. Does the DNA go to my creature in the sanctuary?

1 Like

do you mean if it blocks you from receiving dna? i dont think so and didnt read anything like that.

I hope it just goes there. Just checking.

Be crazy if it didn’t.

this will definitely help me guage if there are any active players around me. i think im the only loser here lol but we shall see

12 Likes

Velociraptor and Utahraptor will be getting some love and lobster for dinner…(obviously because I love them, not because I want their DNA…he,he…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

2 Likes

Walking dead is impressive for user built structures.

This game has always felt like no one plays it.

No mention of arena exclusives. I can place Irritator, Baroynx Gen2, proceratosaurus?

1 Like

yup and rares give less then commons etc…

So you can only share with alliance if people in the alliance are in your physical location, ok that rules out my alliance. I’ll be interested to see if anyone actually uses the sanctuary near me, would indicate if any locals play.

But this is sounding good, i like it. Will be better when flyers are included because some of the new hybrids need those.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Arena exclusive dinos? Are they allowed in sanctuaries?