Official Q&A thread of DPG's Paleontology Center

Just read this entire thread in one go and I have to say, considering Carnotaurus is my favourite baby girl, I love whenever you talk about her or others like her! Thank you for this thread!

Also, don’t you hate the people used to think dinosaurs were just swamp creatures? The staggering amount of weird, rubbery, droopy-tailed swamp monster pictures of dinosaurs just bugs me so much!

I think of that every time I don’t dart a brachiosaurus or giraffatitan.

Such an incredibly sad moment in the film :cry: poor creatures…

I have a question, or food for thought, on the pterosaur crests in the game. I remember Pteranodon from images always having a large crest. So when I saw the Pteranodon in the game I was a bit disappointed. But then I wondered, is it because they are all females? But how about the other pterosaurs with crests in the game? Or dinosaurs with crests like Parasaurolophus or Monolophosaurus? Are these depicted in their female form? :thinking:

I add two images on Pteranodon and crest variance I found online

CrestAnatomya

1 Like

It would make sense for all the dinos to be depicted as females since the Indoraptor is the only verified male creation in the JP/JW canon.

1 Like

I think you’re right, I noticed in the events of jurassic park that Hammond said that all dinosaurs were females, and although Pteranodon isn’t a dinosaur, it had frog DNA and some frogs can change their gender just as Grant said when they found a brachiosaurus nest

Okay, just thought I’d pop back in and check what’s been going on here during my hiatus. To answer your question, Bluesbaby - what you’re referring to is known as “sexual dimorphism”. Yes, the Pteranodon in-game are females, and in real life, they had much shorter crests than those of the males. It happens in a lot of different animals, even to this day. Since the larger crests of the males were used pretty much as a mating tool for displays to the females, it makes sense. The females really had no need for a big showy crest.

2 Likes

I don’t think that ALL of the dinos in-game are female, since Slogokok34 was correct in bringing up the amphibian DNA problem causing animals to swap genders.

But the pterosaurs all seem to represent females, except tupandactylus.

2 Likes

As far as I am aware, the Spinosaurus was a male as well and not because it changed gender, like the Tiger Velociraptors or the Buck T.Rex. But then again, the whole Spinosaurus / Indominus 1.0 Amalgam project is pretty secretive, so I am not exactly sure if it was made as a male or changed as well…

But apparently it is a male as well. So there is that.

Gender dimorphism also makes it difficult to tell, since in some species, the males were larger while in others, the female was. That’s an example. Lots of the dinosaurs that are found by paleontologists have been females. A few males have been found, but not one of every known species. This makes it difficult to figure out how to tell which is which.

2 Likes

Also, there’s the matter of how you would tell the difference between genders in a species with seemingly no special characteristics, such as crests or horns. Scientists have found specimens of Oviraptor with eggs inside the body cavity, ready to be laid. So we know that one was female. Lots of different dinos have also been found brooding on nests, but how do we know if the dino on the nest wasn’t papa, taking his turn at babysitting while mum was getting something to eat? We don’t know for sure.

1 Like

Aren’t there certain fossils with ummm… Whatchama call it… I think it is called a medula bone?
That kind of bone that some modern avian species like chickens have, but only the females. It’s basically a calcium deposit, something similar to what certain geckos like Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus) have in their mouth. As far as I remember, this “bone” is located around the hip area.

That is only reserved for female fossils, obviously, since males lack that “bone”.

Is that correct?

In the avian and proto-avian species, there was most likely such a bone. We already know that some Cretaceous period Theropod dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurs had a primitive fercula (wishbone), just like modern birds.

There were two types of dinosaurs, Ornithischian and Saurischian. One means “bird-like hips”, while the other means “lizard-like”. It’s kind of odd how the species that evolved into birds were of the “lizard-hipped” variety, and all the “bird-hipped” species died out completely.

Theropods were all Saurischians, but their skeletal structure was nowhere near lizard-like. The big Sauropods, the Ceratopsians, Stegosaurs, and even the Pachycephalosaurs were all considered Ornithischian. Their skeletons aren’t very bird-like, so one has to wonder how the mix up happened.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember an article about that “medulla” or however you call it being found in a T. Rex, so they could determine said Rex being female.

As far as I am aware, the “hip” mismatch is because of a certain bone inside the hip region, that somehow gets “inverted” as proto avians evolve into avian species. Don’t quote on me that, but I think the reasoning I read behind that is because egg-laying.

Birds obviously lay pretty big eggs for their size, so that is why their hips convergently evolved to resemble the non-related “bird-hipped” (Ornithiscian) dinosaurs; such layout allows bigger eggs to be laid.

1 Like

Thank for helping/correcting my theory dalek

1 Like

I’ve just noticed this video of a paleo-recap

2 Likes

Just found this in my FB news feed:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157395086233690&id=7382473689

Who’s that Dinosaur??

FB_IMG_1548306824610

Yeah, it’s me. Sorry about it being all dark in that pic, there just wasn’t enough light in the room to make the pic work.

1 Like

LOL it’s actually one of the few times I haven’t caused the camera lens to break when my pic was taken.

Found this on the beach, foolishly left it there. Ant thoughts on this one?

2 Likes