Passive Abilities Inconsistencies: Titanoboa (no bugs related)

While battling the Arena, you can find numerous ways to use your creatures move sets and taking advantage or their passive abilities. However, have you ever gone through an inconsistency between the way a passive ability behaves in comparison with another ones? No, I am not referring to a bug, but a deliberate inconsistency.

Titanoboa

Let’s talk about one of Titanoboa’s passive ability: On scape rampage. It is basically able to deal damage x2 when an opponent attempts to leave. So, if you are facing Titanoboa, and you desire to change your current creature on the field – or use a movement that includes “run” – Titanoboa will immediately attack your creature before the change is in effect. So far is fine. Nevertheless, now we have three scenarios:

1. Titanoboa did not kill your creature: If Titanoboa was not able to kill your creature with the last (passive ability) attack, then the change remains in effect, and next creature will receive the main attack that was selected by Titanoboa’s owner before the whole sequence.

2. If Titanoboa killed your creature: If Titanoboa was able to kill your creature with the last (passive ability) attack, surprisingly the change remains in effect, and next creature will receive the main attack that was selected by Titanoboa’s owner before the whole sequence.

3. If Titanoboa killed your third creature: If Titanoboa was able to kill your third creature with the last (passive ability) attack, even more surprisingly, the change remains in effect, and your fourth creature will receive the main attack that was selected by Titanoboa’s owner before the whole sequence. It does not matter if the fourth creature dies or not, after that attack, the victory goes to Titanoboa because you lost three creatures against the opponent.

In this scenario, Titanoboa was able to attack twice in one turn. That’s not weird! Basically, whatever counter creature does the same. Nevertheless, if we categorize counter as a passive ability too, why some counter creatures lose the opportunity to apply their main attack after automatically use their passive hability – counter? Let’s mention two examples:

1. Trykosaurus: When Trykosaurus is attacked by a movement that deal damage “and run”, it uses its passive ability: counter. If Tryko does not kill the creature with its counter, then he will use its main movement, selected by the Tryko’s owner before the sequence, on next creature showing up on the field. But, what happen if Tryko is able to kill the creature with the counter? Strangely, the main movement, selected by the Tryko’s owner before the sequence, is cancelled. That means that opponent’s creature showing up on the field does not receive any damage. Even worst, now the opponent has the chance to attack first if it is faster.

1. Diorajasaur: When Diorajasaur is attacked by a movement that deal damage “and run”, it uses its passive ability: counter. If Dio does not kill the creature with its counter, then it will use its main movement, selected by the Dio’s owner before the sequence, on next creature showing up on the field. So far, is almost the same as Tryko example above. However, what happen if Dio is able to kill the creature with the counter? Then, the main movement, selected by the Dio’s owner before the sequence, is applied. Great! But… to who? It is applied before opponent’s creature shows up on the field. So, the attack goes to nothing. Opponent’s new creature on the field does not receive any damage, and now the opponent has the chance to attack first if it is faster.

Finally, we are going to the point. Why Titanoboa has the chance to utilize its main attack after it kills the opponent with its passive ability, when other creature cannot do the same? Why Titanoboa’s attacking animation continues when it was able to kill the opponent’s third creature? It seems that Titanoboa has a clear advantage on passive ability application in comparison to another creatures’ passive abilities. These inconsistencies add to bugs, critical probabilities, pay to win, and luck, in order to make this game less strategic.

2 Likes

This was the flow of how On escape abilities were intended to work.

Flow

• Anything that should happen before the swap out happens as usual (such as the “hit” in Hit and Run).
  • Creature declares that it leaves (such as with an “And Run” ability, or using the Manual Swap option)
  • If the opponent creature with On Escape is not Stunned or Taken Out, its On Escape is triggered: the associated ability is used.
  • If the opponent creature survives the On Escape ability, it leaves and the new one comes in.

Some other cases may happen:

• When a creature uses a hit and run ability, it can only run if it is not dead.
  • A Stun does not prevent a creature from leaving.
  • A creature that was attempting to leave using a Manual Swap will still make the manual swap happen, regardless of death status.
    *A counter attacker that leaves can still counter attack (if the opponent deals damage with their On Escape ability).

Last but not least, please be aware that the turn will play until the end no matter what happens.

so according to the intended flow, of on escape rampage (or any on escape that does damage) does in fact kill defeat the hit and run creature, the regular attack should not take effect. (the same if a counter kills off a hit and run creature). That would be a bug according to the intended flow if the ‘Run’ part still took effect after death.
The difference is in the manual swap. If manually swapped out, the on escape will trigger, and according to the flow, even on death status, the swap still happens and the rest of the turn plays out as normal. This doesn’t happen with counter attackers because a counter doesn’t activate if they don’t take direct damage, which doesn’t happen on a manual swap.

So is it a glitch or an oversight?

I haven’t seen if the action stops or not on death of a hit and run dino, so i can’t tell there. But it is working as intended on a manual swap. The on escape abilities are to counter Swap ins/ outs.

1 Like

Oh ya I can tell ya no it doesn’t stop it switches to the next dinosaur still

Happened with my boa and a Maia that tied to run and it swapped into a sino

yeah. that shouldn’t be happening if the hit and run dino dies.

1 Like

Basically, if a faster opponent uses a hit-and-run move against a creature with a damaging OEA (On Escape Ability), the selected move is only executed if the opponent that used the hit-and-run move did not die, in which case no swap occurs.
It’s the same with Tryko and Dio, so there’s no problem there.

If that isn’t the case, it’s a bug.

Really cause someone did that with Maia it died but the next Dino still swapped in

Did it use Impact-and-run or did it manually swap?

1 Like

Welp guess we can add that one to the list but it’s been like that since the snakes came out

Impact and run

And the Maia was taken out by OE Rampage? Then bug.

2 Likes

should let support know that the on escapes aren’t following the intended flow in terms of death on a hit and run move. I can’t believe it took this long to find that out.

1 Like

I’m surprised just like no one noticed this it’s been a regular thing I thought that how it was meant to be so didn’t say anything

For example one time titanoboa vs para 2v2 it impact and run I kill it swaps in trike 2; I get stunned but I still win

@Ned should probably send this info off.

According to the intended flow of On Escape abilities, if a creature uses an ‘And Run’ ability and dies to the on escape ability, the swap should not happen. However as it stands currently, when the creature that used an ‘And Run’ ability dies to an on escape ability, the swap still happens and the swap in of the next creature or titanoboa’s regular attack triggers.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that too, kind of weird.

1 Like

Spinoconstrictor has the same bug. It is insane!