Ludia Forums

Possible new effects to (sort of) slow power creep?

I’ve been thinking about this for some time, and I think that it’s time some new effects enter the game to spice it up a bit. I’ve managed to come up with a few. One is blind, in which the opponent has a chance to miss their attack. This not only includes damage, but the effects that the move would give as well. For example, let’s say that opponent magna is blinded, and he uses distracting impact. If he misses his attack, not only does the move (impact part) miss, but the effect (distraction) does also. Now, this seems just like better dodge. As such, I’ve also thought of it like the opposite of dodge, where the opponent rather than missing the attack, but still applying the effect, blind would allow the opponent to hit the attack, but miss the status effect. If it were to be the first, it would have to be INCREDIBLY rare due to the op nature. If it’s the second, it could be more common. The next I’ve thought of is poison. It’s like dot, but rather than being dependent on the opponent’s max hp, the damage would be dependent on the attacker‘s attack. For example, let’s say Dino a attacks dino b with a poisonous move. Dino a‘s attack stat is 1000. So, it deals 0.5x damage over 3 turns (500 per turn, 1500 in total). It would be cleansable and could have resistances and immunities toward it. My next is regeneration. It would be based on attack, like normal healing, but would occur over multiple turns. For example, dino a with an attack stat of 1000 uses a Regen move on dino b, where it heals 0.75x over 3 turns; it would heal Dino b for 750 health every turn that regen is applied. My 4th idea is temporary immunity, where the Dino with the effect applied is immune to whatever status effect, deceleration say, for all turns that this effect is applied. This one (temporary immunity) is the most iffy one, where I can’t see it working in the game. I also think lifesteal, where you heal for a certain percentage of damage dealt to your opponent, would be something nice to add. I’ll update this as I think of more new effects. Let me know what you guys think, and any of your own ideas about new effects.
Relevant edit 1: Yes, I’ve thought about health based healing, but to have health based healing and attack based healing is essentially pointless; it has to be one or the other, and attack based healing is fine as it is in my book.
Relevant edit 2: as mudkipz suggested, a ‚paralyzed’ effect where all non-basic attack moves are disabled temporarily
Relevant edit 3: as many I believe have suggested before, a ‚terrify‘ effect where the opponent is forced to swap out into the next dinosaur would work very well, I think

6 Likes

Those all sound interesting. By definition though, I don’t think adding new abilities could ever slow down power creep.

2 Likes

I guess so, what I’m more thinking is that we would stop having these increasingly complex abilities with stuff like defensive rending attack, or the new quill impacts. Stuff can be left as is currently, but any more complex and it may get a bit ridiculous imo

2 Likes

I’m totally with you, I’m just not sure you can subtract something from the game by adding to it. All of your ideas are really cool though! Of them all, the immunity to debuffs one is probably the best for slowing power creep because it essentially nullifies all the effects moves are getting these days.

1 Like

I do like these concepts, but I have a suggestion for blind. instead of completely avoiding an effect, it could be effected by a portion of it. like if a creature misses with, say, cunning strike, it would be given only 25% distraction instead of the usual 50%.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Hadn’t really thought about that

What about “disable”? It could work like Dodos alert move where moves don’t work for X turns. Like it could shut down all moves but their basic attack. OR it could be a debuff that prevents your opponent’s moves from inflicting additional effects besides basic damage.

1 Like

I like that, I’d probably rename it to ‚cripple‘ cause it sounds better imo. That, or paralyze

1 Like

Funnily enough, once upon a time Instant Distraction used to be called “Instant cripple”. I probably wouldn’t use that though, it’s can be seen as insensitive in English.

1 Like

I like Temporary Immunity’s concept, but it wouldn’t really work, or at least I think it would be heavily broken against rending dependent creatures like Andrew or Thyla since Rend is considered a status effect. But overall all of your ideas are something I would absolutely love to see in the game, we need something fresh.

2 Likes

I think it existed once upon a time

Full immunity did, but I don’t think the ability to turn it on/off was ever a thing

I remember I had posted a link where there were moves long lost in JWA, andtemporary immunity was there (I may be wrong)

If it was it would have been all the way back in beta, I know all the moves since launch

2 Likes

I think that particular “immunity” referred to the “Immunity” passive that made it so you could never be affected by any debuffs, which was replaced by partial immunities and eventually resistances. I don’t ever remember temporary immunity being a thing.

1 Like