Ludia Forums

QoL tweaks to reduce frustration

I’ve seen plenty of posts recently regarding how the arena needs to be balanced (usually by nerfing Dracocera - not something I’d entirely mind, even as a Dracocera user).

I thought I’d give some thoughts on how to improve other parts of the game that cause mini-frustrations for players on a regular basis.

1. Tournament Strike Teams. This is one that I’m genuinely surprised hasn’t been implemented yet. It’s a real pain having to switch creatures in and out of your Strike Team when you want to play a Tournament/play regular battles. Even having ONE extra team specifically for Tournaments would be a massive improvement.

2. Sanctuary organisation. We need a page or a button that gives us a list of all the Sanctuaries we’ve placed our creatures in. The Shared Sanctuaries list doesn’t suffice as 1) the Sanctuary expires within 24 hours when your creatures are removed only after 48 hours and 2) having to scroll down your list of creatures to find the creature you placed in a Sanctuary can become really tedious. It shouldn’t be that hard to access the Sanctuaries your creatures are residing in.

3. Cut the “Waiting for Opponent” timer from 2 min to 30 sec. Seriously, this feels like an outdated holdover from the days when you needed to wait 5 min to press the challenge AI button. Not only is it really long relative to the other waiting times, from my experience most of the times that the full 2 min lapse occur when the battle has already started and for some reason or another your device is disconnected from the server. Cut the wait time to 30 sec and when it lapses, have the device attempt to ping the server to tell it to cancel the match. If this is a case of the battle happening on one device but not another, that should happen before any abilities are selected, reducing frustration for the other player as well.

4. Alliance tools and stats:

4a. Donated/received stats. Just 2 numbers on a player’s name slot in the Alliance, showing how much DNA a player has gotten through donations, and how much a player has donated. In this system, 1 rare DNA would count for 5 Common DNA as that’s the ratio used in determining how much you can request. This value would reset maybe on a fortnightly basis, allowing the Alliance Leader to know who’s contributing and who’s not.

4b. Alliance Elders. Create a position subordinate to the Leader but with the powers of accepting and removing players, so that when the Leader has to be offline for a certain period of time the Alliance can still function. The Leader should be able to promote or demote Elders at will, but Elders should not be able to promote or demote other Elders.

4c. Pull chat to refresh. Occasionally, for some reason when I log in, none of the requests sent by other Alliance members are displayed (my fulfilled requests are often not shown either). It would be helpful if I could force refresh the Alliance to load any requests I might have missed.

1. Low-res/shaders power saving. The power saving mode can be really useful when players are out and about for extended periods of time; however, it seems like a frame limiter doesn’t save that much battery (and significantly worsens gameplay as well). One alternative would be to create an “intermediate” power saving mode where, for example, lower-resolution textures are rendered, and the shadow effects are turned off as well. This would help to save battery whilst not significantly compromising gameplay quality.

2. Friendly challenges response. It can be quite annoying when you issue a friendly challenge, and the person on the other end accepts, but they get stuck on the 2 min “Waiting for Opponent” timer whilst I get an error about “this challenge cannot be accepted”. Instead of bringing the challenged player to the arena battle screen immediately, the challenged player should send a ping to the challenger’s device telling it that the challenge has been accepted. Then, a toast message should pop up on both devices saying “Challenge accepted!”. This would prevent confusion and frustration amongst players when they tap accept but nothing happens for a few seconds, causing them to wonder if the challenge was received.

I know some of the above have been proposed by others, but I thought I’d collate them into one post for discussion. Having said that, what do you guys think of the above suggestions?

Edit: Added polling below for individual proposals

Do you support proposal 1? (giving the option of multiple Strike Teams for Tournament/regular battle)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you support proposal 2? (providing a list of Sanctuaries your creatures are currently in)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you support proposal 3? (reducing the timer on “Waiting for Opponent” to 30 sec)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you support proposal 4? (Alliance donated/received stats, Alliance Elders/Co-leaders, pull to refresh Alliance chat)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you support proposal 5? (Low-res textures/fewer shaders power-saving mode)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you support proposal 6? (text popup informing you when someone has accepted your Friendly Challenge)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

13 Likes

I wouldn’t mind if they just made a friendly battle arena to get my 12 battles done for the daily. On top of this, to get say just 20 measly darts for winning would be nice to help replenish darts after a large scent capsule when you don’t have but 3 drops in range of home.

5 Likes

Totally support all proposals…there IS a lot of other stuff that needs to be fixed like the overpowered rat, indoraptor + darwin hybrids being underpowered…but these interface things are important as well…

Game has so much potential to be a “smart” and improved version of pogo…but disappointingly the devs dont give enough thought to the balance of their arena…problems like boosts overpowering thors (coming from someone with an overboosted thor lol) show a lack of forethought and proper testing…

2 Likes

All these are relatively simple fixes to make the entire gaming experience much much better.
They are not even nice to haves, but every single item is a must have, and to be honest, they should have been in the game a long time ago. Every time a new feature gets added, it never gets tweaked or improved. Every update there is just a MVP (minimal viable product) released and it’s left as it is.

Please Ludia, this is what we deserve and need next patch, not the introduction of new (buggy) features.

5 Likes

Love these ideas, they absolutely need to be in 1.9. Introducing new content like boosts and Sanctuaries is great but the existing content needs to be made as player friendly as possible too (which it currently definitely isn’t lol)

Although I would love to talk to some of the people who voted no on some of those proposals and ask why…seems a bit odd if you ask me.

2 Likes

Those who voted “No” on the listed donation contributions idea just don’t wanna be caught out as leeches :), you know it, I know it, we know it lol

Love all these suggestions btw! Voted YES on all of them!

7 Likes

Nerf Thor.

3 Likes

Being able to give a name to each sanctuary. (even if it’s whoever who created it first only). Nothing worst that working with teamates to build up a sanctuary, and then having to open 3 sanctuary with the worst UI ever, before you find where you have to replace that dino that just came out. A 5 minutes job that should take only 5 seconds.

2 Likes

:joy: so true tbh, but I do wonder about some of the others - who’s seriously against an extra team for tournaments??

Also, regarding the suggestions, same, we seriously need this stuff to happen asap

1 Like

Ludia, please take note…this is what we need in 1.9 (along with bug fixes), not new content…adding new stuff isn’t worth much if the core parts of the game are frustrating to deal with.

2 Likes

Here’s the best frustration removing tweak…

Nerf Dracoceratops :grin:

All joking aside, these are some really good proposals and they definitely deserve to be included in 1.9.

1 Like

This was in my suggested after reading the 1.9 release notes, and, I’ve got to say, I’m quite unhappy that basically none of these got implemented.

Multiple strike team slots for Tournaments/Friendlies etc? Nope. An easily accessible list of Sanctuaries so we don’t have to scroll through our entire collection? I guess kind of, by changing the mechanics of Alliance-shared Sanctuaries? But not really, the Sanctuary still expires after a day and once that happens you still have to scroll through your collection to find your creatures.

Reducing the “Waiting for Opponent” timer? Nada. Some Alliance stats/tools (or, more accurately, ANY Alliance tools) for leaders/subordinate leader positions? Nothing.

Proposal 5 is more of a niche proposal, but it still would be nice to have. The friendly challenge notification? I guess they might be “working on it”, but no indication it will be implemented.

It really seems like Ludia is more focused on introducing shiny new features rather than fixing and polishing the stuff that players keep calling out as broken. Some of these proposals have been floating around ever since the relevant feature was introduced, and are very popular. Why not have a patch focused on improving and fixing what already exists?

4 Likes

Saw this in my Suggested. It’s been a while…

While I like Campaign mode, I’m surprised (and slightly frustrated) that Ludia wouldn’t implement proposals with over 80% support…

1 Like