Ludia Forums

Question about Brawl dragons

There are four rankings of Brawl dragons — Rookie, Elite, Heroic and Champion. Here’s my question. Are the higher-ranking dragons more powerful? Am I more likely to win a fight with a Heroic or Champion dragon than I am with a Rookie or Elite?

I would really appreciate some answers for this.

I think champions have more powerful abilities, but they are much harder to level up so I don’t always take them. And the combination of dragons is also important. To get a better team, you may find some rookies or elites suit the team better.

1 Like

I thought so, but… in terms of raw statistics, no. I think they tend to have stronger special abilities though (as @Wodensfang noted ).

Not necessarily. You are probably better off with a grade-15 rookie than a grade-11 champion.

Of course, keep in mind that upgrading your dragons for brawl is fairly stupid. Ignoring rank, take the three dragons with the highest grade. Of those three, take the lowest grade. Never upgrade any dragon that isn’t lower than that level. (Upgrading dragons that are below that level is fine.)

1 Like

@robocat3, which dragon species would you recommend for Brawl?

Whatever is your highest grade, generally. It also helps to have a mix of classes (an all-protector lineup in particular is probably not good). Personally I tend to use some combination of Champion Windgnasher, Dagur’s Skrill, Stormcutter, Hotburple and Boneknapper. That’s mostly, however, because — aside from the Windgnasher — those dragons are anywhere from 1 to 6 grades higher than anything else I have. (Unfortunately, I figured out about not upgrading too late.) As for the Windgnasher, well, I only use it when I’m using a second healer.

Brawl tends to be a roll of the dice, since your opponents are random. In gauntlet, however, it often helps to tailor your lineup to what opponents you are facing (e.g. use swift dragons if you are mostly fighting furious dragons).

2 Likes

Apparently the Boneknapper, Stormcutter and Defender Thunderdrum are a very good team.

2 Likes

I always take an edge nadder to get extra turns,and I have stopped to take healers,just one defender thunderdrum and a champion triplestryke. In this way I can finish a battle faster, usually just when I begin to get doubt attack points, even if I don’t always win. It seems when I keep winning, my opponents gets stronger, and sometime I would spend a lot of time just to get a draw, but occasionly lose a few battles can help me get weaker opponents. Brawl isn’t like gauntlet where losing costs more, so I don’t need to spend so much time to ensure a better chance of victory.

1 Like

This is exactly how it works. I don’t know the exact math, but your opponent initially has grades equal to your three highest-grade dragons. Each win your opponent gets some number of grades better than you. Each loss subtracts those extra grades (but never less than the initial equal-to-your-best). Note also that the difficulty resets after a while. (I’m not sure if it is every 12 hours on a fixed schedule, or 12 hours after your last brawl, but it’s something along those lines. At any rate, it is definitely reset if you haven’t brawled in 24 hours.)

Indeed, if you aren’t trying to get the “three in a row” Duty, you are probably better off alternating wins and intentional losses (tip: surrender as soon as you lose a dragon). You will get points slightly less quickly this way than if you could win every fight, but if you’re brawling a lot with no losses, you will get to where your opponent outmatches you by enough that defeat is certain. Alternating wins and losses will keep your opponent at or near your own level.

1 Like

The other thing to remember is you are never fighting a real person. You may be fighting a copy of someone’s account, but you are battling an AI. So the AI always gets to choose it’s team after you. There are also lots of interesting “coincidences” in brawl. For example, about 90% of the time, if I get ahead (and often when I haven’t), the opponent suddenly starts getting “double health”, which is very convenient for the AI, and talked about nowhere in the gameplay info. Also, Lydia tells you that the type of Dragon determines the order they go. This almost always applies to my team. Swift always goes first. However this is not true for the AI. The AI almost always has an order of battle that allows for it to use a basic hit with the first two and max damage with the third. Also be advised that the level of the Dragon affects the battle, not just the grade. Based on damage inflicted most of the time the AI is using dragons that are at max level, so you will note the you can be battling three dragons identical to yours and yet they inflict far more damage. I agree with the others as to finding a default team and using it, and losing to keep some fairness to the battle. My default team is a lvl 17 Cloudjumper, 16 Stormcutter, and 16 Defender Smokebreath. I have beaten teams with 18,18,19 with this, but also lost to 16,16,17. As the others said, you won’t get an opponent lower than your best 3, so be mindful of which dragons you level up first. Good luck

2 Likes