Ludia Forums

Question of the Day #5: Anky's down at the watering hole

Today’s question is:
Sarcosuchus had a pretty strong bite force, but do you think it could take down heavily armoured dinos like Ankylosaurus, Sauropelta, Antarctopelta, Euoplocephalus and other ankylosaurs longer than 7 metres and heavier than 2 tons?

If sarcosuchus targets the underbelly which is not armored it would have a greater than 70%Chance of succeeding but if it goes for the armored part it would just get smacked with the tail club

2 Likes

Yeah, like @dan1209 said, if it went for its weak spots like the underbelly it can most likely win. If it were to grab it by the legs or head and drag it into the water and then go for its weaker side there’s a good chance it can win imo. If it was on land I think anky would have an advantage with its tail that can crush bone

4 Likes

Sarcosuchus probably didn’t had a strong bite force as other giant crocodilians. His long snout indicates that he was more Piscivoreous like gavials

2 Likes

If it could grab an Ankylosaur’s leg or head from the front, it could probably (and more safely) deal with it in some way. Grabbing at the rear will just lead to a headache. Plus, I doubt it could get a decent hold on the underbelly anyway.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to agree with Alrirhorax on this 1, Sarco probably couldn’t drag anky without breaking its jaw, anky wasn’t as heavily armored on its legs or underbelly but it wasn’t “soft” either and would have enough bulk and power to resist effectively enough to severely damage the teeth and skull

1 Like

Since ankylosaurs were smaller than sarcosuchus and deinosuchus they could probably been draged underwater but the only mordern armored prey crocs hunt are turtles and since ankylosaurs are more armored than a turtle they probably wouldn’t have aimed for them

1 Like

I get that. I just don’t see an Ankylosaur being the first thing on a Sarcosuchus’ mind when easier prey are going to be coming by.

1 Like