Disclaimer: This ranking is completely based on my limited experience and personal taste. I have very little experience using Farideh and Calliope. Please tell me how you would change the ranking and why.
Tier 1: The best of the best.
1. Raika (Orc Barbarian). Massive close-range-combat combo at high levels: life-drain + counterattack + high-damage/high-health + attack zone + deathward. If you don’t take out the barb early on or have enough debuffs and space to keep her away, she can easily take out an entire party.
2. Halbenet (Elf Cleric). What is not to like? Heal + regenerate allies, death ward, stealth, decent durability, and decent damage. He is a great addition to any party. The Halbenet+Raika combo can take you out even if they are a few levels below you.
Tier 2: Great additions to most parties, but have some limitations.
3. Saarvin (Dragonborn Ranger) At high-levels he can 1-hit KO an entire party. He delivers high amounts of damage consistently, especially if the enemy is in a line. And it is great to have that super-long range, especially if paired up with the push area-attack. The push attack can be very useful to keep melee fighters (think Raika) at bay. He also has decent survivability, especially with counterattacks to dissuade attackers.
4. Tommus (Dwarf Warrior) A great tank with good HP, AC, Regenerate, Taunt, and Counterattack. His legendary weapon can inflict some serious damage if you are lucky. Gaining an action when you move can give you an edge to gain a favorable field position early on, or to help counter being pushed.
5. Shevarith (Human Wizard) Great at inflicting a serious amount of damage, and has some useful debuffs or an instakill attack at high levels. I rank ver below the ranger because she is a glass cannon. She rarely makes it to the late stages of a close match, but she does inflict lots of pain before being taken out.
Tier 4: They serve specific purposes but are unreliable or circumstantial
6. Naomlen (Halfling Rogue) Can inflict a ridiculous amount of damage. It is one of the best characters to counter tanks. And she has decent mobility. However, she is hard to use, needs some time to set up all her buffs, and is often taken out before she can do any real damage because stealth is an unreliable way to stay alive for a melee fighter.
7. Calliope (Half-elf? Bard) Can be great buy highly unreliable. The OP of this post said it better.
Dominate literally wins battles when it works. BUT, I feel like between turn order, critical misses, heroic resistance, or the enemy hero having a restore strategy via cleric/pally/fighter, there are too many times that the planets are not aligned and it doesn’t win the battle for you.
Tier 5: There is someone else I would rather have in my team instead of them
8. Farideh (Thiefling Warlock) He is very cool and does a good amount of damage. However, I feel that the mage and the ranger are better alternatives. I guess Farideh has some interesting utility moves like push + immobilize, or debuff AC. But also has others that are not not that useful like stealth (with so many aoes in the game). Maybe it is just my lack of experience with him. But I am always happy to see him in my opposing party. Usually, I take a large amount of damage from his initial zone attack, but he doesn’t do much more after that. I guess sometimes this is enough to change the course of the battle. But I think that a character that makes one attack and then becomes useless is boring to play with.
9. Nayeli (Human Paladin) In my experience she is the worst of the tanks. If she is lucky, she can do and take a lot of damage. But she relies on buffs and attacks that sometimes she does not get to use because of her low HP. High-damage ranged attacks can take her out easily. I ranked her last because