Ludia Forums

Reduce the randomness in battles

The gameplay has become more frustrating thanks to the boosts, which we have to live with. But at least make the game lesser random in battles. With current critical hit chances which is totally random, allows a dino with 5% or 20% chances do critical hits more than the ones with 40% chance. Please remove the concept of critical hit and let there be absolute damage values, to accept the fate than cursing the RNG. Also, remove the “% chance to dodge or stun” concept, keep it absolute - definite dodge and definite stun. It’s frustrating to see one side not able to dodge or stun even once but the other able to dodge and stun all the times. Please make this game a fairer one for all the players, to enjoy the game equally.

1 Like

I think these are all here for a reason, but I see your point. Randomness isn’t fun when it isn’t in your favor. But I think overall it makes the game better. Crits are pretty common in most games, so I’m not surprised they’re here. They have crits to give some dinos the edge in close matchups. That’s pretty much Thors whole gameplan. It’s for those moments where you need to do just a hair more damage in order to win - when you crit there, it feels really good! Conversely, it feels terrible for the other player, so I see where you’re coming from. Dodges rely on chance essentially to differentiate them from shields. Any dodges that aren’t 100% dodge 67% of damage 75% of the time (or at least they used to and should) - 66 x 0.75 is 50, which is the same percentage of damage that shields block. So they could make dodges block 66% of damage 100% of the time, but that would be objectively stronger than shield, so they would have to make it dodge 50% of damage 100% of the time (just like shields). But having two basically identical mechanics is boring. But who knows, with the low hp of speedsters, and the prevalence of resilient moves, maybe 100% chance to dodge 66% of damage wouldn’t be op? Stuns hitting 100% would be interesting. For one, with the way stun resistance works right now, there would always be some RNG unless all dinos had either 100% or 0% resistance to stuns. The same is true for lockdown and taunt resistance too. But being able to stun every time would probably be very strong, which isn’t very fun for the opponent. But again, NOT stunning feels like you’re robbed of your ability. I would have to play with this to see how it feels.

Basically, it comes down to predictably. We could have a game where you always know the direct effects. But if we did, players wouldn’t have to adapt to unforseen circumstances. This let’s certain matchups swing quite a bit depending on luck. Whether or not that’s a good thing is your own opinion.

2 Likes

True, the point mentioned on crit is correct, it’d make us cherish if that really happens on those few match-ups but currently it’s not that way. For instance, Maxima with 30% of crit chance almost crits 80-90% of the attacks which is frustrating. All would love if the crits are done in those close matches or fewer matche-ups than the present scenario.

For dodge, it wouldn’t be OP for any Dino if it lasts only for 1 turn instead of multiple turn dodges, same way the sidestep is being countered now. For stun, it’d make that move more viable if made 100% as any Dino has only one stunning move currently, it’s only that one in 3 turns an opponent would miss out on and that would make things interesting.

1 Like

Totally agree about the stun. We already have 66% or 75% chance for a stun to work. Having to deal with % of resistance also is ridiculous… And I’ve always hated crit % in a creature, but I don’t think this will ever change.

But of course, none of this come close to the unfairness of… SPEEDTIES!

1 Like

I totally agree. Crits in concept are fine, but those crit chances are a bit overtuned for some. Cunning moves actually help a lot with this (reducing crit chance to 0), so a lot of those high crit dinos like Thor do have counters. Except that Maxima destroys cunning creatures, so that’s why it’s high crit chance is such a problem.

Yeah, dodge wouldn’t be op if it lasted one turn. Like I said, resilient moves are so strong right now, and I think there’s enough precise moves out there to evem make multiple turn dodges balanced with 100% dodge chance.

Again, stun I would have to play with to know for sure. Some of them definitely could use the help (like Ceratopsians). Instant charge actually wouldn’t be too strong. It’s an instant move, so it always goes first, so if your opponent is faster you just get in an extra attack. But if they use instant distract or invincibility, then you do less/no damage, but have a chance to stun them going into the next turn for a free hit. The only time it might be too strong is if the opponent switches into a non-stun-immune creature, but this could probably still be balanced.

1 Like

Lol yeah, speed ties suck. I would take all of these changes in exchange for totally randomly decided speed ties any day.

The most annoying things aren’t crits, but stuns and lockdown resistances. Either make them always 100% or remove them. Not 50% or 75%. Remove them. This is the most annoying battle RNG since 100% dodge and 10/15/20 stun strikes

4 Likes

Yeah, its even annoying to calculate. Either stuns should be 100% and we have resistances of 75% or 50% or something, or stuns stay 75% and resistances are either 100% or 0%. Same should go for lockdown too, probably.

4 Likes

I agree. The resistances to swap prevention, stun and maybe crit reduction are in my opinion utter
garbage. And 5% crits should also not exist since creatures with it dont need criticals to do damage especialy now that we have the new rock paper scissors system. Even with 5% criticals its still feels like sometimes its 40%. I had times when my sarcorixis and tragod crited 4 time in a row, and they have 5% crit. Awful.

2 Likes

Crit reduction resistance is actually broken in how it works right now - anything below 100% actually does nothing. I just wrote about it (and other useless resistances) here if you’re interested in reading more.

2 Likes