Ludia Forums

Remove super-priority from swap-in moves

So, as it is, swap-in moves have what I like to call, “super-priority”. That is, they take priority over everything no matter what else is happening (unless both players are swapping in dinos at the same time). To me, this doesn’t make any sense because speed absolutely doesn’t matter to a swap-in move (again, unless both players are swapping on the same turn).

My idea to fix swap-in moves is simple: remove super-priority from them so that they act as regular moves. This would not affect dino-swapping taking priority so you could still swap out to avoid losing a dino.

Afaik (correct me if I’m wrong), action order currently goes like this:

Dinosaur swap for fastest dino happens
Dinosaur swap for slowest dino happens
Swap-in move for fastest dino happens
Swap-in move for slowest dino happens
Priority move for fastest dino happens
Priority move for slowest dino happens
Non-priority move for fastest dino happens
Non-priority move for slowest dino happens

My suggestion would change the order to this:

Dinosaur swap for fastest dino happens
Dinosaur swap for slowest dino happens
Priority move for fastest dino happens
Priority move for slowest dino happens
Non-priority or swap-in move for fastest dino happens
Non-priority or swap-in move for slowest dino happens

What would this mean? It would mean that faster dinos would get to attack slower dinos with swap-in moves before their swap-in move happened.

Why is this important? Because currently certain dinos-who-are-not-to-be-named are running around without a solid way to counter them (note, I said SOLID counter, not any counter. Sure there are some ways to counter them but only with max-boosted level-30 dinos. People that don’t have those dinos just can’t counter?). This would mean that faster dinos would get to hit them once before they died instead of just dying outright which would more often than not put the dino that swapped in into 1-shot range of most dinos with decent damage making it much harder for the swap-in dino to swap out unscathed. This would make the speed stat on a swap-in dino just as important as it is on any other dino because if the swap-in dino is faster, they will still get to hit you before you hit them.

This also opens up the possibility of adding priority to swap-in moves which would allow a swap-in move to behave similarly to how all swap-in moves currently behave.

Anyways, that’s my idea. Feel free to tell me what you like/dislike about it or if you have any ideas on how to improve it.

6 Likes

so, let’s comment in the 1.000.000.002 topic about dracoceratops.

let me try to analyze this specific change… when opponent has a thor, allosino, sinoceratops or whatever priority stun dino and is about to stun, swap means “take my other dino for you”. you get stunned and chomped. for other priority let me see… invencibility would be good, like alankylo swap-in invencibility when you are about to rampage, but some like inverse, when you can predict the swap-in move. but hey… swap-in invincibility is gone too, when the other dino uses priority stun: stunned before invincibility, then no invincibility before be chomped next turn?

these changes should be together with other changes to balance mechanics. dracoceratops (to not hide the real reason to all these swap suggestions) was created for a purpose, not as a smasher nuclear bomb to break battles.

it seems i have to start recording my battles using and countering draco to help people to deal with it, instead of elaborating ways of removing it.

i tried a lot of friendlies with and without draco, and dropped down many arenas to play without and with… i can assure it’s balanced since 1.8. what unbalance game since 1.7 are: boosts, matchmaker and, althought less since 1.8, randoms.

the only thing makes draco less balanced is the fact of being made by 2 commons. but at the end… are everybody facing lvl 30 dracos all arenas? or just top ranked players?

1 Like

“swap-in invincibility is gone too, when the other dino uses priority stun: stunned before invincibility, then no invincibility before be chomped next turn?”

In this case I imagine that swap-in invincibility is one of the moves that would receive priority if this change was implemented so swap-in invincibility would be just as good as it is now. That being said, half of the dinos with instant stun also have something that is defense shattering. That means either way if you get hit with that stun your invincibility isn’t going to mean anything since you’ll get DSR’d on the next turn. If you swap into a stun like this it really is, “Please kill my dino” since there is NO way to come back from that. This suggested change would not change that either way, so I’m not sure what the argument is against.

“what unbalance game since 1.7 are: boosts, matchmaker and, althought less since 1.8, randoms.”

Well aside from removing boosts and reverting matchmaking, there needs to be something to pull everything back in line because I highly doubt Ludia is going to do either of the former options.

As I’ve said a few times before…

1. Dinosaur swaps and new dinosaur swaps in.
  2. Priority moves from non swapped dinosaur, if any.
  3. Swap in ability triggers.
  4. Normal attack from non swapped dinosaur, if any.

That way swap in effects are still worthwhile but it means that priority moves like dodge, priority charge/stun could still help counter it.

1 Like

Again, the simplest way is to remove Swap in Rampage, that is 1 move and it affects only 2 creatures; rather than changing the whole order of the battle system, which concerns much more abilities and creatures.