Ludia Forums

Rework Tryko! And other stuff too

So as the name might suggest, this isn’t a nerf or buff thread. Tryko is one of the fan favorites and given its ingredients, it’s fairly hard to make. The current Tryko isn’t unbalanced, but It lost a lot of the flavor It had. 2.0 introduced a perfect ability for it that made It unique and more versatile, medium resilient counter, only to remove It the next update while keeping an ability that is a bit contraditory as It kills distractors under some conditions. I personally don’t think Tryko should be cleansing distraction with the damage output It has, it’s always been a more fierce oriented hybrid. Another point I’d like to address is it’s matchup with the 2 towers. Before the HP nerf, It could reliably kill gemini and had a good chance against maxima, and i think it’s niche as the tower slayer should come back, it’s logical when we consider that by the nature of it’s moves and stats it is supposed to be a resilient-fierce that is more fierce than both maxima and gemini, therefore being their counters(I generally think we still have a problem with many resilient creatures beating fierce dinos and fierce dinos not being well equiped to beat them at the same time, this is just breaking the class system, some exemples are the 2 resilient Apexes that can counter mortem rex when It should be the opposite, or mammolania beating Tenontorex and Thor, gorgosuchus and postimetrodon not being able to counter sarcorixys, etc). While It may counter those two, It won’t cleanse distraction anymore, so the matchups against cunning creatures will change to something similar to what we had before 2.0, but those with many distracting moves will have a good advantage.

TLDR I’m proposing a change to make Tryko a better tank killer with better utility and give back the flavor It lost, here It is:

4500 HP
1550 damage
108 speed
30% armor
20% crit

Fierce strike
Raking slowing impact(resilient impact without distraction cleanse)
DSR
Instant invincibility taunt

Medium resilient counter

Now It gets its bulk back which makes It possible for It to counter both towers(even If Maxima is more of a 50/50 with the crits). Even with this amount of HP, magna can still counter It as It can survive 2 hits from Tryko. With raking slowing impact It can deal with dodgers without cunning or distracting moves(like It already does now), like Orion, as It should since resilient-fierce–>resilient-cunning(edit: and Orion doesn’t use distraction). The medium resilient counter allows a lot of fun utility without making It oppressive against distractors as It can’t cleanse distraction anymore. As i see It this rework makes Tryko a more fun and reliable creature but at the same time makes It a bit more balanced according to the way classes are supposed to work in the game.

What do you think?

20 Likes

I would be ok with this even if they lowered it’s damage and HP from what you have given it.

1 Like

If i lower the HP It won’t be able to beat gemini, so It would kinda defeat one of the purposes of my rework. I would originaly be giving It 4420 HP, but then It won’t survive against gemini, but with 4500 HP It can kill gemini and Maxima (unless they crit, which i think it’s fair, It doesn’t have to be 100%), and at the same time magna will still be able to counter It, so i thought It was Ok

3 Likes

I would prioritize the damage anyway. Giving it a slowing counter is still strong, but not unbalanced by itself, and I really want it to get that back. If they’re going to make it more resilient in that way though, they should lower the attack to match, because it’s going to be able to have priority constantly and will attack twice in a row between turns 1 and 2 if the opponent isn’t immune to decel.

2 Likes

The damage won’t matter much If It can’t survive to beat gemini, i agree It would be a better compromise to change it’s damage to 1550 then. Although It wouldn’t change the matchups at all. It kills gemini and Maxima with 1550 or 1600 damage and It loses to magna even with 1600 damage, but i don’t mind lowering the damage If It maintains those important matchups. The priority due to resilient counter won’t matter against the towers, distracting dinos won’t have that much of a problem either, especially spyx, rinex and magna.
And yeah, i really want resilient counter back too, and by looking at all matchups we can be sure it wouldn’t be unbalanced. Some cunning, cunning-fierce and bleeders will still beat It.

3 Likes

I think there’s definitely a version of Tryko where it can be balanced with that counter. Orion needs more counters!!! I use it myself, and its a slippery little guy.

3 Likes

Do you think the version i made needs any tweaks to be balanced? I think It already is, but I’d like to know If It could cause any imbalance, i think there’s a point to me made about lowering the damage, but for a more appropriate number i feel we’d have to choose what It should win or lose against and make calcs, cause the number i gave on damage is a bit of a guess, all i know is that It can kill the towers but loses to magna and Tenrex

2 Likes

Don’t forget that the counter attack does damage, so there’s an extra 0.5x damage added every turn. All it needs to do is kill Gemini and Maxima in two turns, right? It can actually beat Gemini with only (exactly, I might add) 1200 attack, and Maxima with (a bit less then) 1300 (1275).

1 Like

But that damage is a huge nerf, It no longer cleanses distraction, so for all intents and purposes it’s just a tanky Rex, It needs good damage output. If It had only 1300 damage It would be just a worse maxima. Also, i did the calcs for the magna matchup without forgeting the counter, if It wins against Tryko with 1600 damage, 1550 damage would be fair as well. It actually will survive If Tryko crits on 2 counters

1 Like

It does, but something that automatically slows doesn’t need to have a two-turn damage output of 6750 to 7200 damage. Even Mortem only does 7000 over two turns, and T Rex does 6650. Obviously armor, shields, dodge, distraction, crits, etc. can change this a lot. But having a dino with the same or better damage output as the top two chompers in the game with the ability to slow every turn in addition to doing that damage seems too strong to me. I think 1400 damage at the most is fine, but I would go for 1300. It seems like a big nerf, but your version does seem significantly too strong in the attack department.

2 Likes

I feel like 1300-1400 isn’t enough. I personally wouldn’t lower further than 1500. Before 2.0 It had 1680 damage with a counter without cleansing distraction, and It wasn’t OP by any stretch of the imagination, It was actually considered the most balanced creature in the game by the community as you already know. Honestly, It didn’t actually do that well at the time too, there were a lot of creatures that could shut down and kill It even as It was a very reliable creature. The fact that It couldn’t cleanse distraction was very important, and would continue to be now in making It balanced despite the potential damage output

1 Like

Orion is primarily Resilient? Why? It’s stat spread is that of a cunning creature, and 2 of its abilities are Cunning, while only 1 is resilient. That’s pretty weird.

The decelrating counter is very strong though, because it gives Tryko priority in most situations where it wouldn’t have it before. Not to mention that the ability to slow twice trumps even most Resilients’ decelerating abilities. So it’s much more likely to get to attack twice in a row now.

I didn’t say that with the particular order in mind, i didn’t think the order was important

1 Like

Eh it’s Invincibility is super important for it though. I think it fits. And yeah, the order isn’t really important.

Oh. If the order wasn’t important you could easily spin it the other way round. Orion being resilient cunning would mean it should beat resilient fierce.

What i meant was that i just called It resilient cunning without specifying If It was primarily one or the other because i thought It was obvious. If i had to specify, then Tryko would be fierce-resilient and Orion cunning-resilient
But why should Orion have the advantage? The cunning part only gives It an advantage over fierce but the resilient part doesn’t really do anything against Tryko, it’s Tryko that should have the advantage in this matchup according to class logic

2 Likes

But this is Ludia. Class logic fails whenever they get their hands on it

Welp, we can try

We can try but I doubt we will succeed, as far as I know not a single thread like this is ever taken into consideration. They just read the titles and make assumptions. Rework Tryko? Oh Tryko is broken and ruining the game, let’s nerf it to hell

2 Likes