Ludia Forums

The Poor Man’s Magna

I agree even if it loses to thor that just the class system but tryko should be more versatile and over all better than thor. For example it and Ardentismaxima should be one the same level in terms of power overl but varying in their roles and maybe counters

1 Like

Thats fair, individuals do ask for unnecessary balance changes a lot, but as a community I think our sense of balance is pretty good. If you look at the comments on those threads, most people are saying “Magna is fine”, “Maxima is fine”, etc. Surely Ludia, with a whole team and all the behind the scenes data on each dino, can do at least as well as that.

My examples were basically to say that it can be hard to buff or nerf a creature via its moves without changing it’s “essence”. Think about how many people want bleeder Spyx back, no matter how strong it is now. Sometimes the playstyle of a creature is just going to be inherently weak. Like with Spyx vs Rinex, a lot of the difference in strength comes from the fact that Spyxs playstyle is just better than what Rinex is designed to do. But those examples are all valid.

2 Likes

Decel immunity is necessary for its fierce role. Its job is countering fierce, resilient-fierce and resilient (in general, It obviously doesn’t beat absolutely everything on those classes), while its true counter is cunning. What It shouldn’t have is distraction resistance. None of the parents have It, but decel resistance comes from dimetrodon. If It didn’t have distraction resistance cunning creatures would have a pretty easy time countering It. Another thing is the nullifying strike, It gives too much advantage against dodgers, that are also cunning creatures that should counter It.

With this rework, it can be consistenly countered by cunning creatures, so It will be balanced on the legendary tournament. And people that invested on It will lose almost nothing of its usability.

Ya that true but still, you think that , something that requires an epic+rare+ rare exclusive would be better than the exact same thing but with out the exclusivity epic+rare+rare. They should at least be on par at least in therms of stats and yet they aren’t

For thought they have the same speed, the kit multiplayers (strik, impact, rampage, priority move), and yet erlikospxs gets to get more than utarinex?

Sure their specific differences but over all as a role of cunning creatures spxs is just better over all for like no reason than just it is. And sure cunning’s I know are in a worse spot than any other class but erlikospxs appears way more for me than utarinex

1 Like

And also i would really enjoy getting bleed erlikospxs back to along with double rampage Diloracheirus since they were my favorite and most reliable dinosaurs at one point

1 Like

Went up against this in the Aviary and did not stand a chance

2 Likes

Yeah Rinex is a case where it’s stats and resistances are just lower than an average unique. The thing is, I don’t think Spyx is too strong or too weak. So making Rinex stronger than Spyx would make Rinex too strong, so it would have to be around the same strength as Spyx is now. But if Rinex has to be better than Spyx, Spyx would then have to recieve an unnecessary nerf, simply because it’s slightly easier to get than Rinex. So you end up nerfing things that are otherwise balanced. But if you say “well, balanced creatures should be excluded”, then it’s not really a useful rule is it, which is my point. This is why I find the “harder to get = better” rule to be so arbitrary. Rinex is simply too weak for a unique, availability doesn’t even need to be a factor.

1 Like

Except it also plays into the reason to work for it. I mean remember back when everyone used stegocertops over monostegotops cause it was better, or gorgosuchus vs megalosuchus, or utarinex vs utasinoraptor. Or take the threes (pyrritator, utasinoraptor, alloraptor) (Geminititan, Ardentismaxima, skoonasaurus), (erlikospxs, Erlidominus, Diloracheirus) either make a creature thats hard to make more worth it or have it fit a unique role in the game

But you can also look at it as why does a cunning creatures have 4,200 health? (Same with indoraptor, and Orion) especially that it can always lower damage? But even if you buff utarinex i don’t see it as a nerf to erlikospxs. Even then some just minor tweaks would just be enough to justify the grind needed to unlock and level utarinex

In those cases it can help as a “tiebreaker”, so to speak. But so can rarity in a lot of them. Monostego should be better than Stegoceratops because it’s a legendary vs an epic. Megalosuchus should be better than gorgosuchus (that one is one of the ones where Megalosuchus’s playstyle as a counter attacker is inferior to Gorgos as a revenge killer). Rinex should be better than Utasinoraptor. Thor should be better than Allosino. All of those are cases that can be decided by rarity alone. “The threes” are good examples of the only time where obtainability should be important, become they’re all the same rarity and class, and have (or had, since Diloracheirus is pretty different from Spyx and Erlidom now) similar playstyles. Its like how there’s a hierarchy of tiebreakers for speed ties, so too should there be a similar system for how strong any two dinos are. For me, I see it as being (from most to least important) level/boosts, class advantage, rarity, hybrid level/obtainability. It has a place, but other factors are more important. Which to be fair to Ludia is consistent with their comments on the subject.

1 Like

I feel like it should go: Level, class, rarity/availability, boosts then the rest

1 Like

Exactly, buffing Rinex by itself does not nerf Spyx. But if we’re following the rule that “harder to obtain dinos are better than their counterplay in the same rarity” to the letter, then Rinex should be better than Spyx. The thing is since I don’t think they should make a cunning stronger than Spyx, that would mean that Spyx would have to recieve a nerf in order for Rinex to be better than it, which it doesn’t need. So what we’re actually shooting for here is “every dino of a rarity is balanced within that rarity”.

By the way, I think Spyx gets it’s high HP from Spionyx. That’s probably the only thing it inherits from it :joy: Orion is a resilient too and fairly defensive, so that’s why it has high hp. I think Indoraptor gets it from Indominus, but it certainly isn’t making Indoraptor OP.

1 Like

Honestly the threes could be solution to the whole rarity makes it better because that way you have 3 types of the same say model or class. So three suorapods, three theropods, three raptors, etc. and from then you can choose which one to play based on style availablilty and overall strength

1 Like

I can see that. Boosts should defintely be last, but we all know how they work out in arena. I wouldn’t lump rarity and obtainability together though, since they aren’t linked. T Rex is an epic and Arctops is a rare, but you’re going to end up with WAAAAAY more T Rex DNA in the long run.

1 Like

Right with ya on that one. This thing is more powerful than most of the Magnas I’ve seen!

This thing has WAY too much HP for something with a rend resistance, let alone one with a 75% resistance.

3 Likes

True but thats more for in situations where they are the same rarity for ex: trex vs arcocantosaurus vs allosaurus gen2; or sinoceratops vs wooly rhino (although that thing needs a nerf of its own)

So like you said it can be more of a tie breaker/ motivater

1 Like

Exactly, which is why I ranked rarity above availability. It even matches Ludias statement about Gemini being stronger than Maxima: “The harder a creature is to obtain, the better it will be compared to other creatures of the same rarity”. (Even though Maxima is as hard if not harder to obtain, with it being Local Epic + Daily Rare + Epic Exclusive vs Gemini’s Global Rare + Global Rare + Epic Exclusive)

2 Likes

Yes okay now its makes sense. And of course lol maxima should be better

2 Likes

I feel if they just went with that instead we can have some more fun without screwing players over who worked on hard to make stuff

1 Like