Ludia Forums

Tips for collecting iron

As you start hitting level 80, iron collecting becomes more and more important, expensive and seems to be so horribly slow. With most of my dragons at 150, I have learned a lot about collecting iron, so I thought I would make a list of the things I would have liked to have known in my early iron collecting days.

The cost of sending dragons to collect iron goes down as the dragons level up. They also collect more iron as they level up. What you get is a cost (in fish or wood) to iron collected ratio that gets better as you level up your iron collectors. Some dragons have a lower ratio, but are faster and cheaper to level up, so you want to get them going early so that you can collect enough iron to level up the higher ratio iron collectors. Some of the better ratio iron collectors are also primary fish or wood collectors (like Stonewall and Sirendae) so you will probably have them already leveled up and collecting, but need them to collect fish and wood instead of iron until you can level up more primary collection dragons.

If you are willing to spend runes for collection boosts, it is well worth it to buy the Drago’s Bewilderbeast statue and pay the 250 runes for an iron collection boost when you have several dragons collecting iron. The 30% boost is significant in how much iron you collect and makes the cost to collected ratios even better. Below are my notes with cost to iron collected ratios based on boost enabled. What are your tips for collecting iron?

Dragon

Cost

Iron Collected

Collected w/30% boost

Time to Collect

Cost to Collected ratio w/30% boost

Notes

Rattling Smokebreath

100M Fish

355 iron

461 iron

2h 7m

4.6:1

Cheapest and fastest to level up (I have 3 of these. One was leveled all the way up during a half price training event. Together they collect 1,383 iron for 300M fish every 2 hours for an easy 6 to 9K iron a day.) #1 ratio for fish-cost iron collectors.

Dustbrawler

500M Wood

1,775 iron

2,008 iron

1h

4:1

Slowest and most expensive to level up. Ratio not quite as good as Stonewall but collects in half the time so you will need lots good wood collectors. Good for early iron collecting phases with one of the higher iron returns for 80-100 level range.

Rane & Shyne

450M Wood

1,065 iron

1,384 iron

1h 32m

2.9:1

Expensive and slow to level up.

Egg Blossom

200M Wood

461 iron

548 iron

1h 30m

2.5:1

Inexpensive and moderately slow to level up. Inexpensive to send collecting and fast to return. Easily get 2,500 iron per day.

Hackagift

225M Wood

355 iron

461 iron

30M

2:1

Moderately Expensive and slow to level up. One of the best for starting to collect iron since time to collect is so short and the cost to collect ratio is better than most at beginning iron levels.

Stormfly’s Offspring

325M Wood

426 iron

553 iron

2h 7m

1.7:1

Cheap and fast to level up. One of the best for stating to collect iron.

Stonewall

450M Wood

1,775 iron

2,080 Iron

2h 35m

Moderately Expensive and slow to level up. Level up early for fish/wood collecting. #1 ratio for wood-cost iron collectors.

Dramilion

450M Fish

1,136 iron

1,331 Iron

1h 2m

Moderately Expensive and slow to level up. Level up early for fish/wood collecting.

Champion Windgnasher

250M Wood

443 iron

575 iron

1h 19m

2.3:1

Moderately Expensive and slow to level up. Level up early for fish/wood collecting.

Sirendae

500M Wood

1,065 iron

1,384 Iron

1h 23m

2.8:1

Expensive and slow to level up.

Level up early for fish collecting.

Goliam

500M Wood

2,130 iron

2,496 iron

6h 53m

5:1

Moderately Expensive and slow to level up. Level up early for wood collecting. Long time to collect so daily collection lower than Stonewall and Dustbrawler.

Rubeus

500M Wood

745 iron

950 Iron

1h 3m

1.9:1

Schmoozer

425M Fish

1,775 iron

2,000 Iron

1h 45m

4.7:1

Moderately expensive and slow to level up. Great cost ratio and fast collection time. Wish I had known about this dragon in my early iron collecting levels.

Infernier

500M Fish

1,065 iron

1,384 Iron

2h 13m

2.7:1

Expensive and slow to level up

Lashbane

450M Wood

1,065 iron

1,384 Iron

1h 16m

Expensive and slow to level up

Good but SLOW

Trailtwister

400M Wood

1,420 iron

1,846 Iron

13h 14m

Moderately expensive and slow to level up. Takes so long to collect that in same playing time Stormwall can collect 6K iron for only 50M more wood

Wrylite

400M Wood

994 iron

1,292 iron

9h 16m

3.2:1

Moderately expensive and slow to level up. Takes so long to collect that in same playing time Stormwall can collect 6K iron for only 50M more wood

Ruffnet’s Trancemare

250M Fish

1,420 iron

1,846 iron

23h 33m

7.6:1

Expensive and slow to level up. A whole day to collect less than 2K iron? Started to level this dragon up but later hangered. Too slow to collect for early levels and not worth cost to level up when other fish-cost iron dragons are so much more useful.

6 Likes

I’ve done a very similar analysis, and that guided my recruiting decisions for iron producers. In fact, I have trained up many of the dragons mentioned above and always use them for iron production. I love my Stonewalls. The one dragon that you might consider adding is the Bludcrest. With the 30% boost, they have a 2.8:1 ratio. The really nice thing is that they super quick/cheap to upgrade. Though a potential drawback for some is that the Light Fury is the only one that can search for them. I tried the subscription for a couple of months, but dropped it after the i got the Bludcrest.

1 Like

Thank you! Had Bludcrest in the hanger. It is out now and in training. Thanks for the insight!

Always happy to help. :grinning:

Technically, you’re missing Incognito. Exact same ratio as Ruffnut’s Trancemare, but 3.5 days collection time… and, like Sirenade, probably more useful as a fish collector.

2 Likes