Ludia Forums

Torosaurus!

1 Like

needs to have swap in stunnning strike

1 Like

Would it look like the torosaurs from Walking with Dinosaurs? image

3 Likes

i thought torosaurus was an adult triceratops…

1 Like

That has been debunked already

1 Like

Yeah the torosaurus/Triceratops thing is highly debatable, but current scientific consensus is that they’re different species, since they’ve found juvenile Torosaurus.

My theory is that there’s gender dimorphism in addition to age differences (with Triceratops being adult/juvenile females and Torosaurus being adult/juvenile males), but that’s just my theory, and I have no actual evidence to back it up.

2 Likes

With how many triceratops fossils were found as opposed to the low number of torosaurus fossils, it’s hard to believe it’s a sexual dimorphism thing. Triceratops was just a more succesful species. It evolved a thicker frill than other ceratopsians because It was in an arms race against its main predator, the rex. But the biggest thing debunking this theory is that an adult triceratops was bigger than an adult torosaurus, It would make no sense for an adult to be smaller. On your sexual dimorphism theory the females would have to be bigger then. It makes sense for males to have flashy sexualy selected features that are detrimental to survival like in this case the longer frill. But in this case the number of fossils contradicts It since the males would be easier prey than females and would die more, but we actually have way more triceratops fossils.

2 Likes

Thats true. I feel like most of the differences are concentrated in the facial region though, so without that it would be easier to mistake a torosaurus fossil for Triceratops. But they’re almost certainly separate species.

Plus I think there’s also some geographic and temporal differences in their distributions.

3 Likes