Ludia Forums

Trophy calculations

Bug Description: I’ll follow up on this with some hard numbers tomorrow, but after battling for a couple hours tonight, I’m down 500-600 trophies. Sure, if I went on a huge losing streak, that’s ok. But, I counted and went roughly 50% win/loss over that period. When I started paying attention, I noticed that whenever I’d lose, it would be 30-40 trophies, but when I won, it was always 10.

My team is almost all 30’s, I’ve been playing since launch and I’ve never seen this happen before today. I’m not sure what the new method is for figuring out “team strength” but I’m sure mine has to be on the high end. So, yes I understand how elo works but I’m “supposed” to win every 5 out of 6 battles just to retain my trophy count?

Something seems wrong in the land of Oz.

Area is was found in: Arena

How do you reproduce the bug: Just battle
Step 1-
Step 2 -
(add more if needed)

How often does it happen:

What type of device are you using:

Anything else? Will add screenshots later if needbe. Seems to be a few other threads on the same thing today, but I didn’t see any official bug reports on the matter.

4 Likes

I agree, trophy system is definitely broken. That’s crazy numbers of +10 and -50. Since battles are 60% luck based these numbers are crazy.
Opponent’s erly dodged? -50
Opponent’s magna crits? -50
Opponent’s overboosted? -50
You have some luck +10

That’s no fun in arena with this system. I pray not to get any real opponent and take incubator from AI every time.

10 Likes

Agreed, win is plus 10 and loss takes away all progress. Worse is matchmaking still let’s scrub teams avoid playing heavy hitters to progress. I demolished a few ranked teams while I’m trying to work my way back up yet only got 10 trophies. Yet if I had lost to cloak or crits I’d be sent 50. Matchmaking needs to take into account boosts, not just levels.

1 Like

Fought four more battles today for my daily. Won 3, lost 1 and dropped another 20ish trophies.

This is insane.

3 Likes

Exactly this! Even the wins feel like losses!!

2 Likes

There is a reason for loosing more than you win the higher you go. If they don’t do this, the top players climb and climb to the point they get no battles because you get so high, there isn’t enough people that high on line playing.

What this does is keep the really high strong teams from getting up out or matchmaking range so you all get some real people to PvP with.

If per chance in time there is too many players in that top matchmaking zone. OR There are players with average 25 or lower teams getting matched to level 30 teams, they can tweak the win-loss amount so the higher players climb up past being matched up with too low of teams.

I understand why they do this and I wish @Ludia_Developers would explain this to people.

That’s not what I’m complaining about. This isn’t the same when people would battle against AI to inflate their trophy count. That’s a different situation. Also, I’m not complaining about the widening of the range when the match making process is done.

What I am saying is that when you battle another person, there’s a calculation done to determine how many trophies are redistributed from the loser to the winner. When 1.7 was introduced, instead of using trophy count to determine this number, they calculated it based on team “strength”.

The problem is that when this calculation is done, it does not appear to take boosts into account. Thus, if my opponent has a bunch of lvl 26’s that are stronger/faster/have more health than my team of 30’s, they get MORE trophies if they win than I would if I did. The system says “oh hey, this team of 26’s beat this team of 30’s, give 'em a bunch of trophies!!” even tho on paper, they have the better team. Conversely, when I win, it says “well, that team of 30’s should have won anyway so give him the minimum”.

What arena I (or anybody else) is in is not relevant, the same thing could happen at 2000, 3000, etc. Whenever you have a big disparity in team “strength” calculation this can occur.

2 Likes

Penalized for high levels basically, playing 5 and winning 3 should not result in a lower trophy count than we started with. It does need to be fixed asap.

2 Likes

Yup, this is the TL;DR

1 Like

I’ve experienced the same situation as OP (also posted about it several times). I keep dropping lower after winning more battles than I lose against lower level but highly boosted teams with higher trophy counts because each loss costs me 50 and wins give me only 10 trophies.

I would prefer bots but haven’t been offered the AI option (currently I’m in lower Aviary… before 1.7 I had 600+ more trophies).

Thanks for reporting this OP, you’re not alone! I used to love the PVP but it has become a nightmare.

4 Likes

I realize it’s only Tuesday, but anyone taking a look at this issue? Quite a few threads with people experiencing the same thing. @Ned @Jorge @John

Hey Somedinoguy, there is some more information on Trophy distribution from our FAQ here: https://ludia.helpshift.com/a/jurassic-world-alive/?s=hot-topics&f=how-are-trophies-distributed&p=all.

However, if you still have any concerns, do not hesitate to contact our support team here at support+forums@ludia.com with your support key, and our team can take a closer look. Thanks!

I went 2 losses and 5 wins and I still lost 35 trophies this morning …
+10 X 5
its really garbage I lost the -50 trophies to a boosted lvl 30 indo that dodged me 6x. I got shut out 3-0 and still lost 50 trophies. I only have one lvl 30 on my team btw and its a rare.

3 Likes

Yeah i dont care how you try to break it down, its not a good system and the old system is ACTUALLY better as far as trophy distribution, you lose to someone lower than you? Lose alot of trophies. You lose to someone higher than you? Lose few trophies. You can’t sit here and say its fair or its just an issue higher up because even people in lockdown are experiencing it. The highest dino on my team is a lvl 30 tany. My next highest is a 25 erlidom, 24 tryko, 24 thor, 24 indo, 24 tragod, 23 dilorach, 23 allosino. I have my boosts distributed pretty evenly with higher boosts put into tany, erlidom, and tryko. I am constantly fighting teams of all 27+ dinos or all lvl 30 dinos that are all boosted. I have lost 50 trophies to these teams that are 400-600 trophies higher to me. That makes absolutely NO sense especially in your “new and improved” matchmaking system. Its even further worsened by the fact that you can be at 5500 trophies and fight someone at 4400 trophies, that too makes NO sense. I battle all day just to end up lower in trophies than where i started even with a 70% win rate? Thats ridiculous. Absolutely NO ONE wants to fight your crappy RNG to finally pull a victory to get 10 trophies then get obliterated by a team they shouldn’t have been put against to begin with so they can lose 50 trophies. So i manage to get 5 wins in a row and get 50 some odd trophies, then i lose 2 matches and im now -50 from where i started. So now i have to battle your hugely luck based system to win 10 matches just to get back to where i was? Myself and people in my alliance who were 5k+ trophies constantly are struggling to stay above 4500 trophies right now and its not because we keep losing constantly, its because your reward/punishment system for trophies is 1/5 ratio. One of my members was constantly in the top 500 and for the past week he was stuck in lockwood. He managed to get out and is barely staying afloat. It makes me even more mad because i WANTED a matchmaking system where it matched you more fairly but this? This is NOT it. You guys need to fix this broken matchmaking system or put it back to the way it was because it isn’t fair to anyone.

3 Likes

Hi @Ned, thanks for the response. While I do understand the theory of how the calculations are made, what I’m suggesting is that the algorithm needs some tweaking. Those of us with high team strength are punished drastically for each and every loss. If I lose just one game, it wipes out 5 wins. There are many, many threads (including this one) here with other top users experiencing the same. Here are but a few examples:

This is my team:

In order to me to actually make any ground on trophies, you’re basically asking I never lose. With the amount of RNG built in, that’s impossible. Please read the room and realize the current system penalizes the most dedicated players out there and our frustration grows with each battle.

7 Likes

I’ll share this feedback with our team.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ned, I really do appreciate it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not about trophy count as much as it is that I feel terrible for all the teams that I go up that don’t have a chance. It’s not fun for them, and it’s not fun for me.

4 Likes

I was just saying this in another forum. I am by no means anywhere near endgame but I lost 50 and 35 trophies and then won 10 five times. All of the teams seem to be equal to me give or take a few. This morning my team was 30 suchotator, 29 tragodistis, 28 thoradolosaur, 26 procerathomimus, 27 indoraptor, 24 tryostronix, 22Trykosaurus, 27 stegodeus. I only have 1 tier 6 boost the rest are 5 or 4.

1 Like

Please ask them until they can thoroughly research this issue and rework it is it possible to give us back the previous trophy algorithm (pre-1.7)? It was so much fairer. If I won more than I lost my trophy count always increased!

Thank you.

1 Like

Adding a link to yet another thread re. the same issue: It's finally time to say goodbye to this game