Ludia Forums

Well, the medal system is fixed, so moving on: Speed ties

@Arnold kept reminding everyone of the broken medal system, and eventually Ludia fixed it, so now it’s time to address the next issue: Speed ties.

Seriously, these things are a nightmare. The amount of extra grinding you’d have to do if you lost every speed tie vs if won every one is probably huge, especially with all the RNG.

So feel free to rant about how unfair and arbitrary the current speed tie system is.

12 Likes

agreed. there has to be a better system than what we currently have.

1 Like

The lengths the players on the losing end have to go just to avoid speed ties…
Then there’s the players that actively rely on speed ties to win, and then have the audacity to “Thumbs up” you…

I just hope they know they’re winning because of where they live, not because of skill.

2 Likes

Just to confirm, this so called “fixed” medal system, only awards +30 or -30 Trophies? Even though its not the same as before, its still like beating a dead horse. It wouldve been much better if it was +25 or -15. Atleast then even when you lose, its doesnt feel like you havent progressed. But whatever, atleast they “fixed” it.

1 Like

Yeah, speedties are obnoxious, especially if you live far from Ludia, at this point, we should just debate it 50/50.

A rock-paper-scissors-gun kind of system should work for solving speed ties. When one picks first, the other gets 2 options left to pick. You can pick the sign that beats the chosen sign of the opponent, or you can pick the one that loses to what the opponent picked. So that way at least you kind of have a say in the matter.

3 Likes

do you get to know what your opponent picked or do you just guess.

We can’t just have 1 player choose a object and have the other player unable to choose it. I can understand that it can keep going rock rock, paper paper, sissors sissors, but I don’t think that would work. But if we can have a 1-10 game, it might actually work since there will be many more options and not as likely for both players to choose the same thing.

Guess, you have 1 right choice and 1 wrong choice.

The idea is, one player who was faster picks something, anything from the 4 signs. Now, the other one has TWO options left (narrowed down to fit whether they beat the option 1st player chose or not). If the slower player picks a sign that beats what the faster player picked, then the slower player wins. But if they guess wrong, they lose.

In other words, even if you’re first to pick, you can still lose if the other guessed right. There is no right answer for the 1st one to pick, they can win or lose.

I really see that as repeat of a speedtie. They should be able to choose the same thing. I get that it can be annoying if both players choose the same thing, but the beginning is basically the current speedtie system. Either do it on RNG or you add more options like a 1-10 game.

They do not need to choose the same thing.The idea is, either you beat what the first one picked or you don’t, based on what you choose. It is kind of like RNG, except the two players are the ones doing the RNG work, like playing cards. You don’t know what your opponent will throw at you from their deck. The only difference here is that you already have a card in the deck that can beat the first one, you just need to guess right. So no matter what faster player picks, they can still lose if you choose something that beats what they drew.

You’d have a system of 4 cards. You do not know what opponent picked. You guess.
A,B,C,D.
A beats B & C
B beats C & D
C beats D
D beats A

Case 1:
Player 1 (faster) chooses A
Player 2 (slower) is now given a choice between D (beats A) or C (loses to A).

Case 2:
Player 1 chooses B.
Player 2 is now given a choice between C (loses) & A (wins)

Case 3:
Player 1 chooses C.
Player 2 is now given a choice between A (wins) and D (loses)

Case 4:
Player 1 chooses D.
Player 2 is now given a choice between B (wins) and A (loses).

This way there is always a winer and a loser but they do it by their own guesses. So no machine RNG, just card game RNG. And that’s pretty much what players do when they play JWA. It’s a card game, except you don’t even get to choose sometimes because you may not even have any winning card from the start in current JWA arena.

In other words, my idea is to give players a kind of feeling of choice, even if it’s all luck-based still. At least your location on the planet won’t matter.

Heck it can all just be simplified to guessing what your opponent chose out of 2 choices, and if you guess right you go first. If you guess wrong, you go last.

2 Likes

What if, ok just brainstorming here, some creatures have different passive abilities called Speed Advantage and Disadvantage.

Speed Advantage
When another creature is tied with the same speed as yours, add 1 point to speed. {If the creature is the same as yours, 50% chance to be first or last that turn.} Lasts until opponent with the same speed is gone.

Speed Disadvantage
When another creature is tied with the same speed as yours, subtract 1 point to speed. {If the creature is the same as yours, 50% chance to be first or last that turn.} Lasts until opponent with the same speed is gone.

An alt solution if a creature is the same with yours:

Speed Advantage
When another creature is tied with the same speed as yours, add 1 point to speed. {If the creature is the same as yours, 50% chance to be faster or slower}. Lasts until opponent with the same speed is gone.

Speed Disadvantage
When another creature is tied with the same speed as yours, subtract 1 point to speed. {If the creature is the same as yours, 50% chance to be faster or slower}. Lasts until opponent with the same speed is gone.

This atleast lessens the chance of creatures having speedties. You might still get them, esp. in skill tourneys, but rarely since not all creatures, sadly, can have them.

Edit: But what if you can? Late thought, but maybe every creature, down to the last hybrid should have it. :man_shrugging:

if they would just make it so the dinosaur already in the game is fastest in a speed tie it would fix everything - then there’s no such thing as speed ties. if your 125 speed dino kills your opponent’s dino and they bring one in with 125 speed they dont get to spam their attack and go first cuz they’d be considered slower. then you aren’t essentially rewarding the person who just lost a dino and giving them an undeserved advantage. some people even lose their dino on purpose for this very reason.

and the in-game dino is considered faster the whole turn. only the start of the game would be based on reaction time, but it’s fair because neither player is expecting a speed tie most likely.

I’d rather do away with all speed ties even the beginning one, but I guess yours incentivizes survival so that might work too.

Nah fam that’s called adrenaline rushes

Tho I think it should be 50/50 or the player if tied can choose to go first or second, (I.e. phorus mirror matchup and you want to Ss). If both pick first 50/50

This way players can decide and have to think about going first

Well, I’m glad they’ve improved the scoring on teams tournaments some. I still don’t feel like +30 and -30 is fair for me. I got to 850 starting from 760 and I dropped down to under my starting point numerous times. After all day I finally beat my high score again. It is very frustrating. So after playing for almost 13 hours on and off, I gained 25 points from when I started this morning when I got my high score.

This doesn’t make me feel very productive and it’s very frustrating fighting all day for a lousy 25 points. We should receive points for EVERY VICTORY not just a new high score. At least then people would feel like they aren’t wasting their whole day for nothin. Even if we got 5 alliance points per victory then the full amount for a new high score.

I feel I’m not only speaking for myself but there should be more of an incentive to keep fighting all day. Yeah sure tier 9-10 are great but who wants to battle for 12 hours on and off and only have gained 25 points? That’s not fun at all. I’ve had so much frustration today over this lame system.

We can worry about speed ties later.

At least my team is doing well. Rank 2 baby. Yeah I know it won’t last but we are proud of ourselves.

3 Likes

Clap Clap

But really good job

Im stuck in the quicksand area of 700-800 medals. How is it like quicksand you say? The more I battle the more losses I gain. The lesser I battle, the lower and lower I get in the leaderboard slowly. Part of the problem are all the pesky Indo G2’s and Entelemoths. Entelemoth, for me, is the most annoying creature, even more annoying than Indo G2. The On-Escape Heal, combined with Immunity to Stuns, high attack, PFS, Mutual Fury and high speed is extremely problematic. As if this game wasnt already broken.

Ludia gave us an interesting idea in the balancing poll they made before 1.12. It was called “balancing random” if I’m not wrong. Unfortunately, somehow the majority decided speed ties should stay as they are now… We had such a great opportunity to fix them…

1 Like