Ludia Forums

When evolution goes "Damnit! I give up!"

I know this has nothing to do with the game but I think we could get some interesting conversations in this thread. So, what creature, living or extinct, do you think evolution decided to go ahead and say, “Damnit! I give up!”

For me, it’s the koala.

They’re FAR from cute, have the smallest brain to body mass of any living mammal, spread Chlamydia, rely on the most worthless food source in the world, the joeys are forced to eat their mother’s own poop to actually be able to eat said food source, males will passionately hug females without their consent even though koalas are seasonal breeders, and worst of all, they stink. There is no way you are going to convince me that there is something that smells worse than koala pee or a male koala during mating season. Basically, like pandas, the only reason they’re not extinct yet is because of human interference

4 Likes

Giant Panda.
Need a ridiculous amount of land to live in, a crazy amount of bamboo and have no other food source. Their mating habits are limited to once a year or less, and then they often don’t even feel like it. They’re lazy and should be extinct.

3 Likes

Giant Tortoise (coincidence, has nothing to do with Carbonemys).
They reach sexual maturity when they are between 10 and 20 years old. Without a protective community and social net they need to survive waaaay to long in order to make sure of offspring. Some are as old as 80(!) when they mate for the first time, but luckily they can keep doing this their entire life. The oldest specimen is 187 at the moment.

Argentine Lake Duck.
Hope this one gets through the forum filters but evolution of this duck, like other ducks, is influenced greatly by the mating habits. Male ducks are known to pursue females in groups and sometimes get them to drown while doing so. As a protection, the females developed corkscrew shaped internal genitals so they cannot be penetrated easily anymore. As a result, the males did the same and the Argentine Lake Duck managed to evolve a corkscrew shaped genital that is longer than its own body. Mating can NOT be harder for them, and I think evolution should just give up at this point and let them die out or start over or something.

6 Likes

So I guess the steel type z move corkscrew crash gets a whole new meaning :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

When I first read that dogs and bears are related my reaction was "But, dogs are smart and energetic! Pandas are dumb! This can’t be!

1 Like

Panda dog you say?

4 Likes

Can something be cute and terrifying at the same time?

1 Like

Sinoceratops? Yeah, plenty of examples.
Baby squids, Slow loris, Valaise Blacknose Sheep, Echidna. You pick!

2 Likes

Ahh the slow loris. Nightmare fuel! Wohoo

1 Like

As adorable as they are, I think the three-toed sloth was evolution being lazy.

I mean, look how slow they are! A snail is faster than them!

They are vulnerable in every aspect of the word - if they crawl to the ground at any point of time, they’re in danger. If there’s any climbing predators around, they’re in danger. For some odd reason, they have to crawl down to the forest floor to use the bathroom… The reason even biologists don’t readily know.

How their species is surviving this long is a mystery. It’s amazing how they evolved from gigantic and somewhat slow, to just small, slow and helpless all rolled into one. At least their ancient ancestors were able to fight back.

4 Likes

Mosquitoes…evolution gave up in making them a not-hateful animal

6 Likes

I despise mosquitoes. And leeches. And bedbugs. Basically, any creature that requires blood to survive on. Kill them all.

But then again… at least people have found a way to use leeches for medicinal purposes… So I guess they get a pass :expressionless:

2 Likes

Another point for leeches is that they dont itch the heck outta you after feeding…at least the ones that latched onto me didnt.

2 Likes

Is it normal to be scared of the little blood suckers?

1 Like

From a solid s tier build to a flipping f tier. Damnit Outside devs!

2 Likes

Which of the blood suckers? Mosquitoes or leeches or…?

1 Like

Mosquitoes. The others are bad but mosquitoes terrify me. Somehow managed to land a punch on one though so there’s that

1 Like

When evolution created great white sharks, it said “Let the games begin!”
Their males chomp the females’ fins or sometimes necks to make them mate with them. However, in a video, there was a male that chomped a female so seriously that it killed her. Then a hammerhead shark showed up and just ate the female.

1 Like

A TierZoo fan I see. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My … dislike… for mosquitos is only restrained by the fact that they are a significant source of protein for hummingbirds.

2 Likes