Woolly Mammoth Tournament - 5/24/2019 - 5/27/2019

I did not, didn’t even pay attention to the clock. Good catch, on my next update I will see if the trend holds for a standard day two and if it does this one might end up north of 4,000 for the top of Dominator and be somewhere around 1,900 for the bottom.

3 Likes

@Kiarash_Bahar that is exactly what I did! So much for spending the week leading up to the tourney hatching my Cenozoic back log! :triumph:

Game is really cheating a lot. I’ve had 3 server errors right when I’m about to take control and the solutions to win are nill for the AI. I’m a bit peaked at this as it’s not fair to invalidate the challenge and then make the dinosaurs enter cool down when I just waited out a cool down to use them.

3 Likes

Here is my result from today. I lost 5 battles due to unexpected server timeout, now I am missing 150 points at least. I’m feeling betrayed.

2 Likes

First run for today
2 time out errors, 1 hiccup that cost me a match

1 Like

Much as I would love the mammoth, the change to being jurassic put it out of my league after the first day so I’m just going to sit it out until I drop much lower in Predator so when I do play I have a better chance of winning, and getting prizes… It does seem to be giving me harder opponents than the last one which is frustrating since I am bringing somewhat better teams, but currently if I try to compete in Predator level 10-20 or so, I’m getting stomped on about half the time, maybe has something to do with the level 11+ requirement? I’m still only two rounds out of first place so still a possibility but with the extra day I expect that will widen as we go.

At least with all my level 10 VIPs, I didn’t have any issue finishing up all the other events on the calendar for today. And the cenos I hatched out for this tourny definitely came in handy for that ceno-only event, knocked that off without needing any CDs at all. Just once though, I would like to actually GET a cenozoic out of the prize pack, it seems like whenever they are mixed I always just get another jurassic. I really wish they would use packs that ONLY have cenos in them because it’s so hard to get them otherwise.

1 Like

They removed my post, maybe they don’t like being criticized.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen them moderate posts on here just for criticism but they ARE very strict about anything that is even a very mild use of bad language, and I’ve had posts flagged for pretty much ANY use of foreign language as well (there was one where I replied to you in German with a “Bitte!” and had to edit it to include the translation which probably looked pretty silly to do since obviously you would know what that means!) But also the filters seem to flag things pretty frequently but I’ve only a couple times had it actually removed.

1 Like

Ok, I understand. I was really angry because of the server timeouts today and put this in ‘appropriate’ language. I may have to wash my mouth with soap now.

4 Likes

Night run

Well I was busy for most of the day so was only able to log results and do a couple of battles. So I slipped down in to Predator and hit some really aggressive match ups in rank 4 to 1. Where I had to bring a team way stronger than the bottom of Dominator to advance and then once I cleared into Dominator I could relax my team down again. It is very odd that the game throttles the difficulty as you approach the top of Predator. I lost two battles at rank 3 in predator where I brought a team with 4381 and 4441 which were both matched up against an opponent with 8254 and 8413. I finally brought a team with 5993 and was matched against a team with 5954. However once I was in Dominator I went back down to 4602 and was matched against a team with 5249 which is a reasonable gap of 14%. Any ways here is what Dominator is looking like:

Not enough data yet to change my prediction since it has not deviated from the general pattern, if the tournament continues on the same pace all day tomorrow then I will need to look at tweaking my prediction.

4 Likes

@jimbocaw this is happening to me also… I would say it happened at least three times. I thought these issues were resolved as it hadn’t happened to me in awhile but they seem to be back for this tourney. Really disappointing when you think you are about to win and then to have the Dino’s enter cool down is just kicking you when your down!

1 Like

Wait, tournaments are AI? I always though they were PVP because sometime I’ll have Hatchling or Prey fights against overpowered Dinos even though the ones I’m using are weak. How do we know it’s AI?

We don’t know it’s AI, but it’s all but certain.

1. Now, in tournaments, if you’ve noticed, you, the player, always start the battle. The “other player” never gets to start. Indication of AI.

2. In both PvP (which is actually Player vs. AI, too) and tourneys, the opponents follows certain patterns that you can pick up on if you pay attention. For example, if the opponent knows it has enough hit points to kill you for sure, it almost always will (e.g., it has a dino that can kill mine with two hits; I’ve used two points for reserve or block; it will hit with four hits).

3. Most of these PvP games have a design to search for a live opponent first, but if one isn’t found within a second, it will revert to PvAI. There are relatively few people playing JW:TG, and even fewer whose line-up, entered at the exact same moment, would have a comparable ferocity level to your line-up, so the game has to rely on AI almost exclusively.

4. You’ll often find the unlockable dinosaur in your opponents’ line-ups. In tourneys were the dinosaur is first being introduced, only the AI can have the dinosaur. Lots of us faced off against Lythronax in the Lythronax tourney, but there was no possible way any human player could have that new dinosaur unlocked until after the tourney.

As for your match-ups in the tourney, there is a certain, hidden, ideal AFS (average ferocity score) that corresponds to your league and your place within that league. If you fall too far short of that AFS, the computer will punish you by putting you up against super-stronger dinos like level 40 Pterodactylus or level 40 Proceratosaurus or similar monsters (or, if your dinosaurs are considerably lesser than mine, it might be lesser-level but still-doggone-wicked opponents).

Hope this is helpful, @musika1218.

5 Likes

@musika1218 and other interested parties: this thread clarifies what ferocity is and how it’s calculated. Probably the forum’s most useful post from the forum’s most useful member. He’s also the forum’s second-most-handsome member, after yours truly. :slight_smile: That’s not true. @Tommi’s handsomer than me, @DinoStan is funnier, and @Mary_Jo is smarter.

Hope it helps.

If you prefer not to run the math (and it’s good math), you can usually get a feel after a battle or two for what the computer is expecting at any particular level. For example, in Dominator, I don’t dare bring anything with less than 2000 health and 600 attack, and usually it has to be considerably above that (to float in the 80s in Dominator, I find I have to use my 3000-health, 800-to-1000-damage dinosaurs as often as they cool down, and I have about 5 teams at that level).

3 Likes

Thank you for the not deserved compliment.

1 Like

Thanks for the shoutout @HanSoloWannaBe, @musika1218 welcome to the forums, if you are having a particular challenge is you post a screen shot of your match up and or let us know what rank and league you are in we can help give you pointers on what might be a solution to your current predicament.

1 Like

My result of today. I lost 4 battles due to unexpected server timeout, makes 9 for me in summary so far. That’s a loss of 270 points at least.
@Ned: Are you aware of this issue?

1 Like

Han-Solo-Its-True-All-Of-It

1 Like

@HanSoloWannaBe - Well, thanks so much for the nice compliment! I may not be the smartest about playing this game…but I do though tend to get that reputation I think because I am an avid reader, have been all my life, and seldom forget anything, so kind of have an endless vault of useless knowledge to pull out at need. :slight_smile:

@Sionsith - I’m glad to have my experience with the opponents in Predator being unusually difficult confirmed. I ended up just not playing much at all yesterday after continually getting unreasonably hard matches with lineups that did well the last tournament at the same approx. level, until I dropped way down to the bottom half of the division and can now compete with ease. There was no way I could bring the kind of AFS it seems to want to move up to Dominator anyway so that works much better for me so I can at least win all my matches and get some decent prizes out of it.